Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Vehicle Excise Duty-Car Tax increase - MP's reply  (Read 1552 times)

dad1uk

• Omega Knight
  • Birmingham
    • Vauxhall Zafira 2.2
    • View Profile
Vehicle Excise Duty-Car Tax increase - MP's reply
« on: 30 July 2008, 19:57:20 »

You may remember a suggestion to write to our MP about the intended Road Tax increases.

Here is a reply from Angela Eagle MP Exchequer Secretary to the Treasury to my appeal over the increases to Road Tax.

"In explaining the approach the Government has taken in the Budget 2008 to reforming VED, I should begin by setting the context for the current proposals. In 1997 there was only one rate of VED, which was the same for all car owners, regardless of a cars cost or enviromental impact. In 2001, the government introduced a system of banding by Carbon Dioxide(CO2) emissions to provide a signal to motorists of the enviromental impacts of their potential choice. This change was welcomed by the main opposition parties at the time.

However by Budget 2008 it was clear that there was a case of going further. Firstly, the EU have proposed regulations that would require  average new car CO2 emission to be cut to 130 grams of carbon dioxide per Kilometre by 2012. Secondly, the 'King Review of low carbon cars' was also published at Budget. This showed that drivers can save as much as 25% of carbon emissions by shifting to the lowest carbon car within a particular class.  This does not mean shifting to a different type of car altogether eg from a family car to a small runabout, but it does mean picking a low-emitting family car.

Therefore, in Budget 2008 the government announced the direction of future reform of VED rates and bandings including:

*  from 2009, the introduction of six new VED bands, to better incentivise a shift to 'best in class' cars and to reward drivers of low emission cars; and

*  higher first year rates in 2010-11 to better influence purchasing choices at the point of sale.

It has been suggested that the application of the 2009 changes to existing cars is in some way retrospective taxation. Let me be clear that this is not the case. It is normal for car tax changes  apply to all cars - as is the case for most other taxes, and VED changes have previously been applied to all existing cars, for example when a new band for lower emitting cars was introduced in 2002. In addition, applying VED rates only to new cars would cause confusion - effectively creating three systems of VED, and therefore undermine the overall enviromental signal.

Also it is worth pointing out as a result of these proposed changes, the majority of motorists in graduated VED(the post 2001 system) will be better off or no worse off in 2009 and 2010. Of those low-income families who own a car which will be subject to the new 13 bands of VED - these families are more likely to have purchased lower cost, lower emitting cars which are therefore in the lower VED bands. They are therefore more likely to be among the majority who will either benefit or be no worse off as a result of the reforms announced at the Budget, than those on higher incomes. Scrapping the application of the new VED rates to existing cars, is therefore likely to increase the tax that many of these households will pay in 2009.

If you are unsure of the CO2 emissions of your car you can:

*    check the V5C registration document ;or

*    enter details relating to the car into the DVLA vehicle enquiry website at http://www.direct.gov.uk/taxdisc

If your car was purchased prior to 2001 then it will not be subject to the CO2 based emissions scheme at all because reliable data on emissions for these vehicles is not available. Your car will not be affected by these reforms. Instead your VED will either be frozen, or increase by only £15 in 2009.

I would like to emphasise that no-ones VED will increase by £245 in one year, as has been inaccurately reported. No drivers will pay more than £90 extra in 2009 and most who face an increase will pay far less than that. Less than 5% of the cars that are subject to these reforms will pay an increase of more than £100 over two years - and those that do fall into a particular category, as they are currently paying VED at a lower rate than other cars that emit the same ammount.

I hope this explains the current situation.

Thank you for writing to me about his important subject.

Kind regards

Angela Eagle MP"

I would be interested on your comments to this letter......
 :-/
« Last Edit: 30 July 2008, 20:05:43 by rainbow »
best wishes
Simon.

psychnurse

• Omega Baron
  • Leominster, Herefordshire
  • Whats in the fridge today? Beer and Sausages....UM
    • View Profile
Re: Vehicle Excise Duty  - Car Tax increase - MP's rep
« Reply #1 on: 30 July 2008, 20:05:44 »

Blah blah blah... we are backtracking now as we are skint and spent all of your money.....

So we need to make you pay more... so we will use the CO2 card as we need to get this in order.... blah blah blah.... and will will allow Heathrow to expand... and that means money... not anymore emissions!!

What an insulting letter  :(

dieseldean

• Omega Knight
  • chesterfield
    • View Profile
Re: Vehicle Excise Duty-Car Tax increase - MP's reply
« Reply #2 on: 30 July 2008, 20:11:37 »

last year my miggy passed m.o.t with lower emisions than a low tax ford focus 1.6. if my car wasn't 13 year old would it fall in a lower catergory???

Danny

• Omega Lord
  • Wigan, Greater Manchester
  • BLACK 1.6 BORA SHAPED JETTA!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 July 2008, 20:13:47 »

go easy on them, they need to tax us more to fund new logos for stuff, they cost £500,000 each

::)

:'( :'(
« Last Edit: 30 July 2008, 20:14:12 by D4NNY »

HolyCount

« Reply #4 on: 30 July 2008, 20:14:09 »

Absolute, piffling, fur lined, balderdash ---- or, to use the vernacular .... CR*P

ians

• Omega Baron
  • Reading
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30 July 2008, 20:24:01 »

I'm confused about this:

I would like to emphasise that no-ones VED will increase by £245 in one year, as has been inaccurately reported. No drivers will pay more than £90 extra in 2009

I don't have one of these cars (at the moment) so haven't researched it but I thought that post '01 Omegas were going up from about 200 to about 450 quid.  Did I get that wrong?

I agree a patronising letter.  Their argument about it not being retrospective is cobblers.  The banding is retorspective and the punitive tax increase (100% ish ) certainly is and cannot be compared to the normal annual £5-10 increase.

Danny

• Omega Lord
  • Wigan, Greater Manchester
  • BLACK 1.6 BORA SHAPED JETTA!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30 July 2008, 20:37:44 »

they're trying to say that instead of going up to £440 in 2009, they're only upping it to £300, and then £455 in 2010

mantahatch

« Reply #7 on: 30 July 2008, 21:58:18 »

You may remember a suggestion to write to our MP about the intended Road Tax increases.

Here is a reply from Angela Eagle MP Exchequer Secretary to the Treasury to my appeal over the increases to Road Tax.

"In explaining the approach the Government has taken in the Budget 2008 to reforming VED, I should begin by setting the context for the current proposals. In 1997 there was only one rate of VED, which was the same for all car owners, regardless of a cars cost or enviromental impact. In 2001, the government introduced a system of banding by Carbon Dioxide(CO2) emissions to provide a signal to motorists of the enviromental impacts of their potential choice. This change was welcomed by the main opposition parties at the time.

However by Budget 2008 it was clear that there was a case of going further. Firstly, the EU have proposed regulations that would require  average new car CO2 emission to be cut to 130 grams of carbon dioxide per Kilometre by 2012. Secondly, the 'King Review of low carbon cars' was also published at Budget. This showed that drivers can save as much as 25% of carbon emissions by shifting to the lowest carbon car within a particular class.  This does not mean shifting to a different type of car altogether eg from a family car to a small runabout, but it does mean picking a low-emitting family car.

Therefore, in Budget 2008 the government announced the direction of future reform of VED rates and bandings including:

*  from 2009, the introduction of six new VED bands, to better incentivise a shift to 'best in class' cars and to reward drivers of low emission cars; and

*  higher first year rates in 2010-11 to better influence purchasing choices at the point of sale.

It has been suggested that the application of the 2009 changes to existing cars is in some way retrospective taxation. Let me be clear that this is not the case. It is normal for car tax changes  apply to all cars - as is the case for most other taxes, and VED changes have previously been applied to all existing cars, for example when a new band for lower emitting cars was introduced in 2002. In addition, applying VED rates only to new cars would cause confusion - effectively creating three systems of VED, and therefore undermine the overall enviromental signal.

Also it is worth pointing out as a result of these proposed changes, the majority of motorists in graduated VED(the post 2001 system) will be better off or no worse off in 2009 and 2010. Of those low-income families who own a car which will be subject to the new 13 bands of VED - these families are more likely to have purchased lower cost, lower emitting cars which are therefore in the lower VED bands. They are therefore more likely to be among the majority who will either benefit or be no worse off as a result of the reforms announced at the Budget, than those on higher incomes. Scrapping the application of the new VED rates to existing cars, is therefore likely to increase the tax that many of these households will pay in 2009.

If you are unsure of the CO2 emissions of your car you can:

*    check the V5C registration document ;or

*    enter details relating to the car into the DVLA vehicle enquiry website at http://www.direct.gov.uk/taxdisc

If your car was purchased prior to 2001 then it will not be subject to the CO2 based emissions scheme at all because reliable data on emissions for these vehicles is not available. Your car will not be affected by these reforms. Instead your VED will either be frozen, or increase by only £15 in 2009.

I would like to emphasise that no-ones VED will increase by £245 in one year, as has been inaccurately reported. No drivers will pay more than £90 extra in 2009 and most who face an increase will pay far less than that. Less than 5% of the cars that are subject to these reforms will pay an increase of more than £100 over two years - and those that do fall into a particular category, as they are currently paying VED at a lower rate than other cars that emit the same ammount.

I hope this explains the current situation.

Thank you for writing to me about his important subject.

Kind regards

Angela Eagle MP"

Sniff sniff do you smell what I smell !!! >:(

Mike

I would be interested on your comments to this letter......
 :-/

albitz

« Reply #8 on: 30 July 2008, 22:05:17 »

so,scrap your 2001 car (how much pollution is caused by the scrapping process i wonder) -then buy a new low emissions car (how much pollution is caused in the manufacturing process ?).
when you have done that write back and ask her why smallish motorcycles which emit less pollution than the lowest polluting cars(which pay no v.e.d.) still have to pay v.e.d. and why the government wont give anyone a sensible answer to this sensible question. >:( >:( >:(.......bunch of lying *^&$#)*  >:( >:( >:(

Nickbat

« Reply #9 on: 30 July 2008, 22:15:00 »

I sent her an email sometime back, but later discovered that she would only reply to emails sent to that address if they directly concerned her constituency. Anyway, this is the text of my message:

Dear Ms Eagle,

I am absolutely astonished to see you quoted thus by the BBC: Applying new road tax rates to vehicles after a certain date would be "difficult to determine, understandably complex" and would "create confusion" particularly in the second-hand car market.

That is complete nonsense.

1. The DVLA has an advanced computer system which could quite easily handle differing rates according to the year of registration.

2. Any "confusion" in the secondhand market will be as a direct result of these measures.

As the owner of a 2002 vehicle, which I purchased some time ago for use when transporting my family (wife and two young children and I only do around 4,000 miles a year), I resent utterly this modern-day equivalent of the Window Tax. Clearly, this retrospective hike in VED rates will have a negative impact upon the resale value of such vehicles, which will make it even harder to purchase a car with lower CO2 emissions, since such vehicles will clearly suffer less depreciation and may even increase in market value (there's the "confusion" in the secondhand car market for you). Thus, unless I receive a substantial increase in income, I will be forced to keep my existing car and find ways of paying the extra VED. I am not alone in this situation. I am not wealthy - far from it. The wealthy will be able to absorb these increases; indeed, it is only the wealthy that will be able to afford brand new cars, too. The retrospective VED rates only penalise the less well-off.

Since you are a Labour MP, I would have thought that you would take the view that taxes which impact the poorer sections of the community more than the wealthy would be odious. Clearly, though, by taking the stance you did today in Parliament, you either a) do not understand or b) do not care.

A brief look at some of the message boards on the Internet tonight reveals the contempt which many ordinary folk feel towards this current administration. I would suggest that a U-turn on this issue is not only desirable, but necessary, if the Labour Party is to stand the remotest chance of being re-elected at the next election.

I honestly don't know how you can feel comfortable with this policy.

Yours faithfully,

etc.

albitz

« Reply #10 on: 30 July 2008, 22:24:35 »

Very well put Nickbat , and i am sure there are plenty of people in her constituency who are directly affected by the issue,hopefully enough to put her out of a job at the next election. :y

HerefordElite

• Omega Knight
  • Hereford
  • Welcome to the Shire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 30 July 2008, 22:35:59 »

http://cnwmr.com/nss-folder/automotiveenergy/

has anyone ever read the american dust to dust survey? why can't they see that the overall enviromental impact isn't just about the co2 coming out the back? what is the point of scrapping a perfectly good old car and replacing it with a newly manufactured one? it's not rocket science ::)
ggggggggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr >:(
Nova SR, MKII Cav Sri130, MKII Astra GTE16v, Omega 3.0V6 Elite, Silver Cross Sleepover Classic

albitz

« Reply #12 on: 30 July 2008, 22:57:05 »

I am sure they do know,they just hope that they can con us over yet another stealth tax. >:( >:(

HerefordElite

• Omega Knight
  • Hereford
  • Welcome to the Shire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 30 July 2008, 23:01:00 »

I am sure they do know,they just hope that they can con us over yet another stealth tax. >:( >:(

exactly - as Nickbat says they've got some serious backtracking to do to get back in power >:(
Nova SR, MKII Cav Sri130, MKII Astra GTE16v, Omega 3.0V6 Elite, Silver Cross Sleepover Classic

Harison213

• Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 30 July 2008, 23:58:06 »

specially after their "donor"'s scandal >:(
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 21 queries.