Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Corrosion in cills near rear suspension mounting  (Read 2571 times)

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
Re: Corrosion in cills near rear suspension mounting
« Reply #15 on: 29 June 2017, 19:30:42 »

It took me an hour to get off the first cill. The second took 10 minutes, piece of cake.

I see how the hole is near rear suspension mounts; it doesn't look too bad yet.

My friends tell me to get a welder and get welding, but we'll see.

ajsphead

• Intermediate Member
  • North Somerset
    • Omega 2.2 DTi estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 29 June 2017, 19:38:17 »

Get in there and grind everything away until you either have good metal or no metal or metal that's too thin to weld to. Once anything weak or non existent is cut away you can see the extent of the problem properly. Also get in behind the suspension mounting where the doughnut bush is to check the vertical face of the inner sill. You'll probably need a dremel type tool +/- flexi wand to get in there even if you drop the mount.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 12 July 2017, 20:30:35 »

Thanks to all for advice. Fault is now repaired, and MOT passed. I think I made hard work of it, and paid too much, but it was my first time, next time I shall do better. The MOT outfit claimed they could do the job, I do not weld, so I removed the covers, took pics, it did not look too bad, mainly one hole each side near rear suspension mounting. They quoted between £200 and £300, I said go ahead.

They put a patch on the rear of each cill, and charged me £250; bit hot I thought for 2 patches, but I would know next time.
I ordered some more clips as I had damaged some removing the cills, learned they cost £2.58 each so only ordered 12. Back came the message 'no stock, on back order', so I made do with the ones I had, which seemed quite adequate.

Pic follows of  a patch.

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 22 queries.