Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Launch control fun day out for the little Mexican  (Read 3312 times)

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
Re: Launch control fun day out for the little Mexican
« Reply #15 on: 12 November 2023, 21:35:06 »

A relative of mine a good few years ago had an BMW M3 with launch control. When he took it for some warranty repairs at BMW (nothing to do with the drive line or transmission), he was warned that the diagnostics on the car showed it had had two previous activated launch control starts, and that certain future warranty work may be declined should the number of launches exceed a number (I'm not sure what) not short if the two recorded.
Begs the question, why would a car manufacturer have such a system on a performance car, to basically say its use is restricted? Seems crazy to me....
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 12 November 2023, 22:13:09 »

She now has around 2300 miles under her wheels and feels quicker than when I first had her.

Launch control...... put the car in either sport or sport plus, then switch of all traction control. Press down hard on the brake and pin the accelerator to the floor. Then release.

Not a proper M car but surprisingly quick. :y

It is illegal to travel faster than 70 MPH in the UK, so both acceleration runs recorded on a private track.

What's the point of paying for a 'proper M car' to shave a few tenths off your already very fast time?
Diesel till I die

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 12 November 2023, 22:34:47 »

A relative of mine a good few years ago had an BMW M3 with launch control. When he took it for some warranty repairs at BMW (nothing to do with the drive line or transmission), he was warned that the diagnostics on the car showed it had had two previous activated launch control starts, and that certain future warranty work may be declined should the number of launches exceed a number (I'm not sure what) not short if the two recorded.
Begs the question, why would a car manufacturer have such a system on a performance car, to basically say its use is restricted? Seems crazy to me....

My BMW handbook clearly states that excessive use of launch control causes premature wear on the drivetrain. It probably says the same in my Audi handbook but I haven’t bothered reading it.  :)

Proper quick car you’ve got there Opti.  :y
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 12 November 2023, 22:38:53 »

My BMW handbook clearly states that excessive use of launch control causes premature wear on the drivetrain. It probably says the same in my Audi handbook but I haven’t bothered reading it.  :)

I think this happened to me!  :-\                                                   ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 12 November 2023, 23:01:33 »

Just to clarify, I’m not saying that anyone takes any notice of this warning though.  :y   ;)

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 12 November 2023, 23:26:19 »

Nice, jolly sprightly!

Quicker than the tweaked XF do you think?

countrywoman

• worcestershire
    • skoda yeti
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 13 November 2023, 09:05:41 »

Nearly as quick as my old drag car (11.4 @120 1/4) and that had 360hp but proper drag chassis/suspension. Bet it was slower to 60 ft though 1.5 sec for mine. Still that is one quick motor for road use.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 13 November 2023, 12:24:08 »

Car (almost standard) with the exception of a used JB+ plugged into the TMAP sensor, supposedly adding an extra 3.5PSI of boost. :)

Car would hit 60 in 3.8 seconds as standard though.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 13 November 2023, 12:28:46 »

Is the CVT in the Audi capable of launching anything but itself  :-\
Onanists always think outside the box.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 13 November 2023, 12:49:31 »

It doesn't launch itself, there's one too many a's in that word.  ;D
Diesel till I die

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 13 November 2023, 13:07:41 »

That's very quick, Opti, mind the old ticker  :)

It hit 30 MPH in just 1.19seconds from rest which is 1.15g of acceleration.....so if I wasn't just 34 years of age it could probably give me a heart attack. ::) ::) ::)  ;D ;D

It's actually quite unpleasant initially. :)

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 13 November 2023, 13:47:05 »

I'll probably never know.  :-\  As an older gentleman with a reformed driving style I'm more at risk of clogging up my dpf through slowness than using launch control.  ;D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 13 November 2023, 14:04:51 »

I'll probably never know.  :-\  As an older gentleman with a reformed driving style I'm more at risk of clogging up my dpf through slowness than using launch control.  ;D
I smell the rear end of a male cow....
Grumpy old man

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 13 November 2023, 14:11:38 »

It doesn't launch itself, there's one too many a's in that word.  ;D
I was thinking along the lines of sending various expensive bits into a low orbit ;D
Onanists always think outside the box.

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 13 November 2023, 19:52:17 »

…….

I’ve obviously misunderstood Dr G and I’m genuinely shocked. I thought that you spoke so highly of VAG products so I bought two Audi’s.  ;) ;D
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 18 queries.