Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: More questions - Sorry - Coolant Leak  (Read 1184 times)

dave.h

• Cumbria
    • 2.2 CDX auto/C220 auto
    • View Profile
More questions - Sorry - Coolant Leak
« on: 10 May 2020, 16:35:46 »

Sorry all, I have more questions...

I did the cambelt/water pump a few weeks ago but I have noticed some small amounts of water (coolant I think) sitting on the plastic under tray.  The coolant level did drop and I topped it up.

There is really not much at all, literally a few drops.

I have checked the water pump and I can't see any pooling in the bottom of the timing cover area but it does look like it might be weeping, there is so little water, it is very hard to tell.

I did the check and took images before removing the old water pump and as far as I can see it is in the same position.

I got the kit from online automotive and whilst I ordered a Gates kit, they sent me a Goodyear belt and a pump from a company I have never heard of.

I'm afraid to leave it with what could be a coolant leak so any advice will be appreciated.
« Last Edit: 10 May 2020, 16:38:08 by dave.h »
Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to go on that counts

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
Re: More questions - Sorry - Coolant Leak
« Reply #1 on: 10 May 2020, 16:50:21 »

Stick a bottle of coolant dye in the system and either run it and see if and where leak is .Alternative is to do a coolant pressure test via the coolant reservoir cap .Pump air into about 12/14psi and that will also show any leaks .

You may just find though it is residue from cambelt change as I assume you removed the coolant hose from the throttle body and that may of been the drip you saw

dave.h

• Cumbria
    • 2.2 CDX auto/C220 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 May 2020, 21:30:00 »

Stick a bottle of coolant dye in the system and either run it and see if and where leak is .Alternative is to do a coolant pressure test via the coolant reservoir cap .Pump air into about 12/14psi and that will also show any leaks .

You may just find though it is residue from cambelt change as I assume you removed the coolant hose from the throttle body and that may of been the drip you saw

Thanks for that - I have ordered some coolant dye that comes with UV torch so will give that a go as you suggest.

I'm afraid I did the change the lazy way and just drained the coolant by removing the water pump :-(

I will see what the dye comes up with and report back.

Thanks again.
Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to go on that counts

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 May 2020, 23:41:06 »

Cleaning up after a job makes follow up troubleshooting sooo much easier  ::)
Onanists always think outside the box.

dave.h

• Cumbria
    • 2.2 CDX auto/C220 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 May 2020, 11:56:46 »

Cleaning up after a job makes follow up troubleshooting sooo much easier  ::)

I did dry everything up after it drained and before I fitted the pump/belt kit, I was only lazy for draining it out, honest Doc!

I noticed the weeping as its only collecting on the undertray and isn't making it to the ground so hopefully the dye will reveal all...…….and if I have to sort it, I will ensure I buy a Gates kit as I just don't have faith in the one I got from the supplier, they changed it to save me money so they said.....I'd have preferred the one I actually selected!

dave.h

• Cumbria
    • 2.2 CDX auto/C220 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 May 2020, 14:40:08 »

So - the coolant (It is definitely coolant) is dripping onto the undertray from the oil filter...…….I need to get the car up on the ramps and have a proper look I think.....
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 18 queries.