Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Headlight differences model year  (Read 2946 times)

grifter

• Paisley, Scotland
  • Omega Baron
    • Omega 2.6 CD / Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
Headlight differences model year
« on: 28 May 2017, 21:42:14 »

Need a drivers side headlight for my 02 plate due to broken securing clip, are the headlights all the same for all model years or was there changes at any point? Seen one from a 3.2 Elite so would that fit?

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
Re: Headlight differences model year
« Reply #1 on: 28 May 2017, 21:50:31 »

Early type - 94-97 (practically never see them)
MFL type standard - 97-00 (on almost all PFLs you see)
MFL type HID/Xenon - 97-00 look identical, but open the bonnet and there's a ballast pack and, of course the internals house a Xenon bulb
FL type standard - 00-03 (on almost all FLs you see)
FL type HID/Xenon - 00-03 look identical, but open the bonnet and there's a ballast pack and, of course the internals house a Xenon bulb

FL lamps are visually almost identical to MFL... look for a sharp point at the corner where they meet the grille. On PFL/MFL this is instead a rounded corner.

Depending on whether you have HIDs or not will depend which FL lamps you want. Any FL Elite will have HIDs, so depends whether you have HIDs on your 02 car or not, that's all.  :y
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

grifter

• Paisley, Scotland
  • Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 May 2017, 22:34:37 »

MFL type HID/Xenon - 97-00 look identical, but open the bonnet and there's a ballast pack and, of course the internals house a Xenon bulb
FL type standard - 00-03 (on almost all FLs you see)
FL type HID/Xenon - 00-03 look identical, but open the bonnet and there's a ballast pack and, of course the internals house a Xenon bulb

FL lamps are visually almost identical to MFL... look for a sharp point at the corner where they meet the grille. On PFL/MFL this is instead a rounded corner.

Depending on whether you have HIDs or not will depend which FL lamps you want. Any FL Elite will have HIDs, so depends whether you have HIDs on your 02 car or not, that's all.  :y

Thanks for that info, the elite one I am looking at has a large electronic looking box on the bottom at the back with a thick wire going onto light at back, is that the ballast pack?

Edit: just checked, my lights don't appear to have this big box underneath. So that would make them FL standard assuming?
« Last Edit: 28 May 2017, 22:45:25 by grifter »

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 May 2017, 22:45:19 »

Very much so  :y .... oh, when you source a replacement lamp unit please read the guide.... it's one of the few things on a car/Omega which can actually cause a mild case of death! Seriously, you have to wait a certain amount of time after being disconnected to allow the pack to discharge it's electrickery.

But other than that it's a five minute job (honestly, the other day I whipped my entire headlamp out, and refitted it in a matter of minutes, the poor bloke next door with his superior new Astra was still trying to replace a bulb, poor lad.)
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

grifter

• Paisley, Scotland
  • Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 May 2017, 22:47:24 »

Very much so  :y .... oh, when you source a replacement lamp unit please read the guide.... it's one of the few things on a car/Omega which can actually cause a mild case of death! Seriously, you have to wait a certain amount of time after being disconnected to allow the pack to discharge it's electrickery.

But other than that it's a five minute job (honestly, the other day I whipped my entire headlamp out, and refitted it in a matter of minutes, the poor bloke next door with his superior new Astra was still trying to replace a bulb, poor lad.)

Great, that confirms I have standard FL then as I didn't see that big box. Must be a big capacitor in there if it holds that much charge!

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 May 2017, 22:58:53 »

Good stuff! Yeah, five min job (first time will, like all things, take much longer to remove, than when you come to refit it)

I believe you're talking...
the two visible from the engine bay on top of the lamp. Just loosen them for now.
then remove the bottom 'eyelid' plastic trim underneath the lamp. One screw, then 'peel' it away carefully, then with a tug it should pull from out of the wing.
This exposes one final stud (10mm or close to) deep down inside here, underneath the lamp. Get your long extension on this, triple check the socket size/fit.

Headlamp out just enough to then unplug.

Upon refitting, perfect time to either oil, or replace the studs. Often I replace the hard to get to studs/screws/clips with nicer ones, then fit the tatty/rusty/knackered ones in the easy to get to areas. They can be replaced at a later date quickly and pain-free.   :y

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 29 May 2017, 08:32:05 »

Early type - 94-97 (practically never see them).

Got an immaculate one here. How or why I've still got it I don't know (any offers)
Hoof'land storeman.

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 29 May 2017, 08:50:08 »

Headlight bolts are 8mm, i'v e a pair of clean standard facelift lights here if you are still looking for some
Happy to do Omega servicing etc around Merseyside,cruise activation, airbag lights sorted too...

Stige

• Finland
    • -68 Satellite, -97 MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 29 May 2017, 08:58:42 »

How are they different?

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 29 May 2017, 09:54:07 »

How are they different?
Early ones are standard halogen dipped beams, with diffuser headlight lens. '97 on are hids... different dipped bulb, with a lens mounted directly infront of bulb and clear headlight lens... these look like xenons, but most definitely are not.

Xenons, or gas disharge lamps are readily indentified by the ballast pack mounted on the back and D2S as the dipped bulb type on the sticker on the top of the light unit :y
Onanists always think outside the box.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 29 May 2017, 09:58:21 »

Got an immaculate one here. How or why I've still got it I don't know (any offers)

I can explain that: you're a hoarder who can't bear to throw away Omega bits ;)

ReLLaXX

• Romania
    • Opel Omega B, Sedan, 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 29 May 2017, 10:20:08 »

How are they different?
Early ones are standard halogen dipped beams, with diffuser headlight lens. '97 on are hids... different dipped bulb, with a lens mounted directly infront of bulb and clear headlight lens... these look like xenons, but most definitely are not.

Xenons, or gas disharge lamps are readily indentified by the ballast pack mounted on the back and D2S as the dipped bulb type on the sticker on the top of the light unit :y

HID -  High Intensity Discharge lamp is the Xenon one. The older ones are Halogen fitted with a lens. So HID - Xenon, ballast, lens and Halogen - no ballast, halogen lamp and lens.

If a car has a manual adjuster for the lamp height inside the car then it's not a factory Xenon equiped car. This is the easiest way to find out if you have Xenon or Halogen without even opening the bonett, regardless of the existence of headlight washers or lens in your headlight. All HID equiped cars are factory fitted with Auto levelling, headlight washers and lenses.
Considering the fact that there is no absolute truth... I may be relatively... right!

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 29 May 2017, 10:25:53 »

How are they different?
Early ones are standard halogen dipped beams, with diffuser headlight lens. '97 on are projector type... different dipped bulb, with a lens mounted directly infront of bulb and clear headlight lens... these look like xenons, but most definitely are not.

Fixed for accuracy
Onanists always think outside the box.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 29 May 2017, 17:59:15 »

I can explain that: you're a hoarder who can't bear to throw away Omega bits ;)

It might be of use 1 day  :D
Hoof'land storeman.

grifter

• Paisley, Scotland
  • Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 29 May 2017, 18:49:56 »

Headlight bolts are 8mm, i'v e a pair of clean standard facelift lights here if you are still looking for some

Ok, that might be handy, a matching pair. Tried PM'ing you, didn't see anything in sent items so not sure if you got it. What would you be looking for them?
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 22 queries.