Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... 49   Go Down

Author Topic: Omega Owners Forum  (Read 157210 times)

hercules

• Omega Knight
  • sunnyudders
    • View Profile
Re: Omega Owners Forum
« Reply #300 on: 21 May 2012, 20:47:04 »

Oh that, yes i don't think we'll get to the end of that one TB. Jealousy is a funny thing. ;)

???
2nd that
We all know TB has been chasing me for years. ;D

So thats what goes on at these meets then  :-X :-X :-X :-X

Oh, did you think this was a car forum? ;)
ive heard about all the stains left on the grass after these meets....and you all still sticking to the engine oil hmmmmm

feeutfo

« Reply #301 on: 21 May 2012, 20:48:54 »

Oh that, yes i don't think we'll get to the end of that one TB. Jealousy is a funny thing. ;)

???
2nd that

ive heard about all the stains left on the grass after these meets....and you all still sticking to the engine oil hmmmmm
Don't worry tg, it took me years to find out too.  ...the hard way.  :'(
« Last Edit: 21 May 2012, 20:52:11 by chrisgixer »

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
  • Driving a Honda CR-V which doesn't smell of pee
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: 21 May 2012, 20:50:10 »

???
2nd that

oops, sorry my mistake  :-[ :-[ :-[ ;D

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: 21 May 2012, 20:52:06 »

No real issues from me, had a couple of sarcastic comments in the early days when asking about problems but had far more patient, considerate and constructive replies from members over time to completely outweigh those. As repeatedly said this is the best forum on the

Personally couldn't give a crap about cliques etc and if a perceived clique in cyberspace bothers you then you need to go outside have a serious word with yourself.   

JB/LJ/DLK should have faced each other with an oily mackrell and gave each other a good thrashing with them at the time then all this would have blown over months ago.
Happy to do Omega servicing etc around Merseyside,cruise activation, airbag lights sorted too...

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: 21 May 2012, 20:54:22 »

OK, I got to about page 6 in this thread before I gave up so here's my view.

I've been coming to this forum for just over a year or so when I got my Omega. And I think that "forum" is the word that needs to be emphasised. I didn't join a club, with all of the rules and politics that that implies. I come here to read the discussions that are an intrinsic element of a forum - which is a place where opinions are sought and offered. If I don't like a topic I don't read it. I'll often skip topics that don't have a subject that interests me, and I'll often abandon topics that I think have become boring. But I won't complain about any of them. Nobody is here to entertain or inform me, but I have gleaned some very useful information along the way.

I attend other forums, mainly motorcycling, but I only regularly return to the ones that interest me. This is definitely one of the best. Sure, there's a clique (there always is) but it doesn't bother me because I get out of the forum what I want to get out of it. I haven't come here to make friends (or enemies) but it's quite reasonable that some do and it's only to be expected that they will exchange friendly banter on their own terms.

So, don't change, keep going and just accept that people are different with different wants and needs.

I agree with this post in so many ways.  Thanks....   :y

Perhaps one of my problems with OOF, if it can be called that, is as an admin.  I personally feel that it is my role requirement to read all posts, even if its a load of utter codswallop that interests me not a jot in order to ensure that the thread is conforming with posted guidelines.  Indeed, it could easily be a subject that gets the proverbial itchy hair up my harris such that I end up getting a tad miffed about the thread subject matter and pitching in where I perhaps otherwise would not have.  And that probably causes subsequent problems due to my previous employment as a plod.  I simply do not suffer fools gladly and sometimes, that shows through on OOF.  Sorry....   :-[

That would explain why I can oft times be quite hesitant at posting on a thread just in case my comments appear heavy handed or outspoken.   :-[   :'(

But thats what a forum is about.  Free speech and, as TB has indicated, thats what this thread is completely about.  If it causes your arse to itch, scratch it here on this thread.  Perhaps we can come up with an OOF cream to solve your probs......   ;)   ;D

« Last Edit: 21 May 2012, 20:59:33 by hotel21 »

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: 21 May 2012, 20:58:31 »

No real issues from me, had a couple of sarcastic comments in the early days when asking about problems but had far more patient, considerate and constructive replies from members over time to completely outweigh those. As repeatedly said this is the best forum on the

Personally couldn't give a crap about cliques etc and if a perceived clique in cyberspace bothers you then you need to go outside have a serious word with yourself.   

JB/LJ/DLK should have faced each other with an oily mackrell and gave each other a good thrashing with them at the time then all this would have blown over months ago.

Nah, semi naked mud wrestling with added whipped cream and celery sticks would have been better  ;D ;D ;D

Oh my god, i'm such a perve  :D :D

SIR Philbutt

• Omega Knight
  • Rochdale - Manchester
  • It will soon be Christmas ...
    • 03 2.2 CDX LPG estate
    • View Profile
    • PJB Home Services
« Reply #306 on: 21 May 2012, 21:07:15 »

Perhaps one of my problems with OOF, if it can be called that, is as an admin. 

That just gave me an idea

Why are individuals singled out as admins/mods/etc. Would generic usernames that do not indicate the actual person allow for a more anonymous management of the forum and allow the individuals to post/respond etc without the mantle of their position holding them back or "frightening"  :o other members

Phil

keep happy, keep safe, keep smiling, keep in touch

paul.lovejoy

• Omega Baron
  • Ramsgate Kent
    • wife mad 2.6 cd estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: 21 May 2012, 21:07:58 »

heres my quids worth

firstly this subject/post has imo brought more of the OOF back that i loved...people having a laugh some good banter.

the ljay/daz situation upset me only in respect of the comments made about Ljay who was after all a contributing and active memeber of this Forum there was no need for that in fact i thought it was bloody disgracefull. Admin had a difficult job

other comments as people have said on this post keyboard warriors not seen so much of that but there does seem to have been a lot of basically rude comments to what people say to the point where i just dont feel the urge to post a comment just to probably get shot down in flames. I know very little about cars so it is nice to comment on things i do know about.having been within fitting out and building for overe 30 years, running projects up to £20million, my own small company and now a local knob the builder so i can spend time with my lovely wifey so i know a thing or two. but sometimes you post a reply and immediatley people seem to be out to proove you wrong so i give up in the end and let them crack on

Dont get me wrong there are a lot of very clever people on this site that absolutley amaze me what they know about cars but they are not always right about other subjects

So most of my time is having some good banter but thats been strained it all seems so serious.this is the first post i have actually seen some good old fasioned banter i am very happy to say.

The spirit of OOF is still there you only have to post something and help is always available. the technical guides and help very obviously too some time and are well appreciated

Admin think they have a hell of a job and deserve respect for what they do and for keeping the site going its not some high paid job is it

Newbies agree with the comments that some times when silly questions are asked people can be rude. It is also difficult to enter a chat taking the plunge i know it took me a while but then i was lucky my first contact was with Bob.dent

Sometimes TB i think you can try too hard to please everyone, it will never happen so many strong charachters on here that have been around for years and if they feell ike i do after being here a year then why would you want to

and that is proud to be a member of the OOF comunity

i can see now OOF needed me ::) ::) so i will be on more often ;D ;D ;D

trainmanone

• stockport
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: 21 May 2012, 21:10:07 »

Text speak and capitals might make it easier for one person to type in a post but it makes it much less easy for the 11879 who might potentially try to read it IMHO.

Unless you're posting a simple response to a question surely it makes sense to take a little time to make your posts comfortable and enjoyable for others to read?

I must admit, I tend to find myself subconsciously putting as much effort into answering posts as the originator has in creating it in the first place, and often don't bother if it means wading through text speak. A few spelling mistakes and grammatical errors is not an issue, just not being bothered to lift your fingers and press enough keys is, IMHO.
Having said that, text speak is not what's wrong with the forum. New users getting slated for it and other minor transgressions where they could be politely asked to avoid it is, IMHO. They may be used to the majority of other forums that appear to welcome it with open arms. ::)

In fact, there's a lot of slating going on, in general, where respectful disagreement and presentation of counter arguments would make for a more pleasant atmosphere, IMHO.

A lot of this comes down to the greater proportion of members who haven't met face to face, IMHO. Before you've met someone, you're dealing with letters on the screen. The opinions they represent might annoy or even offend you, and you respond with both barrels accordingly. Now, say that disagreement is with someone you propped up the barbecue with over a few pints at one of the meets. You know they're a really nice bloke, you just hold contrary views on a particular subject.. It changes things somewhat.

After the first couple of meets I attended when I joined 5 years back I'd probably met 80% of the regular posters on here. That core of people set the tone for all interactions on the forum to an extent. Nowadays, those who have met have apparently become a "clique" rather than the majority, and it's a problem. Maybe that's just a consequence of having grown in numbers, or maybe there's something that could be done to rectify it?  :-\
isnt this the same as text speak not useing all the keys lol i know its a reconised abreviation but pot kettle lol
« Last Edit: 21 May 2012, 21:15:01 by trainmanone »
what was that ??????

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: 21 May 2012, 21:11:11 »

Perhaps one of my problems with OOF, if it can be called that, is as an admin. 

That just gave me an idea

Why are individuals singled out as admins/mods/etc. Would generic usernames that do not indicate the actual person allow for a more anonymous management of the forum and allow the individuals to post/respond etc without the mantle of their position holding them back or "frightening"  :o other members

Phil

I am involved in other internet forums where such a concept is used.

Truth be told, it works only for as long as the secret holds.  Once the genie is out the bottle as regards who the real BiggusDikkus is then it really matters not a jot........

hercules

• Omega Knight
  • sunnyudders
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: 21 May 2012, 21:15:21 »

you know them company schemes where they organise trips or gatherings and you pay a certain amount and they subsidise the rest,well i think we should contribute 10p per week and then once a year we should all get together for the MEGA MEET MEEt MEet Meet meet(ive tried to do that in a megaphone echo)and jaime stumps up the rest cos he does sod all else and we all get pished and eat chilli and garlic bread and have lap dancers and belly dancers and other stuffs  :D

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: 21 May 2012, 21:16:28 »

you know them company schemes where they organise trips or gatherings and you pay a certain amount and they subsidise the rest,well i think we should contribute 10p per week and then once a year we should all get together for the MEGA MEET MEEt MEet Meet meet(ive tried to do that in a megaphone echo)and jaime stumps up the rest cos he does sod all else and we all get pished and eat chilli and garlic bread and have lap dancers and belly dancers and other stuffs  :D
Didn't you get your private members card and invitation for this summers doo then????   :-\  :-\  8)

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: 21 May 2012, 21:18:55 »

Can I request that this man be given admin status with immediate affect please  ;D :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: 21 May 2012, 21:23:24 »

isnt this the same as text speak not useing all the keys lol i know its a reconised abreviation but pot kettle lol
I line had to be drawn somewhere, and we drew it along the lines of 'well known abbreviations'. Obviously its ludicrous to suggest banning all abbreviations, like don't, won't, can't etc.

Fortunately, text speak does seem to be reducing in general written use, possibly for the reasons that tunnie suggests, possibly because those that grew up with it have grown up enough to know if they were daft enough to use it at work, they'd be out on their ear.  Obviously, it still seems to be prevailent on IM and BBM.
Grumpy old man

hercules

• Omega Knight
  • sunnyudders
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: 21 May 2012, 21:23:30 »

Didn't you get your private members card and invitation for this summers doo then????   :-\  :-\  8)
ive tried to make it out like this new so to not upset people and you had to go and blow it,i was busy this year and from what i hear you sobbed like a bairn cos i didnt turn up,i had a better offer from the rover 45 forum(they had pass the parcel)
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... 49   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 22 queries.