Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Work dilemma - what to do for the best ?  (Read 1540 times)

PAULCDX

Work dilemma - what to do for the best ?
« on: 26 December 2013, 19:23:29 »

I'm still working as a Driver for National Express UK Bus and for quite a long time I've been trying to work out what to do for the best with my Job. At the moment I'm working approx 11 miles each way from where I live but the good thing about this posting is the fact I'm on a shift rota, can plan ahead, and I drive a route I enjoy  :y, but the downside being it's long days and killing me in fuel  :'(

In January I've been offered a transfer back to my old garage which is 5 mins away from home but there are reasons why I left there in the first place... Poor management, being put on spares list which means you only get your shifts weekly so I can't plan ahead etc. But the good points being it's local and the days are shorter and I wouldn't need to use the Mig to travel much to work etc....

So, I'm trying to weigh up where would be better for me in the long run?

My Manager wants an answer by Friday 3rd January,  ;D

I'm struggling to make what should be a quick and easy decision ...... Any ideas or advice ?  ;)

Thanks, Paul  :)

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
Re: Work dilemma - what to do for the best ?
« Reply #1 on: 26 December 2013, 19:56:58 »

A few questions Paul.

Who offered you the job nearer home? Why?

Does your manager know about the "poor management issues" at the nearer depot? If so what are they doing to tackle them? You used the word etc. Apart from poor management and shift rota what else is a problem?

Could you ask to be on a shift rota at the local depot as a condition of going back?

Are you being taken advantage of?

In a situation like this you may find it useful to be able to have a chat with your manager about issues once they are clear in your mind.  At the end of the day he or she is only trying to end up with what is best for them and for you.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

flyer 0712

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 December 2013, 20:11:14 »

To get up each and every morning to go to work is great providing you like your work..the people you work with...and the company you work for....However if you hate getting up for a job you detest then do not go back,you will regret it especially if the same people are in charge,,,,,,voice of experience ,,now retired.....thank goodness.. :y :y

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 December 2013, 20:12:41 »

I wish I only had to travel 11 miles each way .......  ;)  ;)  ;)

My Merc's mpg isn't that much better than that of the Omega either  8)

PAULCDX

« Reply #4 on: 26 December 2013, 21:03:00 »

To answer some of your questions Varche,  :y

I asked for the transfer months ago which has only just been granted but due to over staffing levels at the garage I'm going to be moving to they've told me I have to go onto a spares drivers allocation which means getting my shifts on a week by week basis  >:(

The garage is on my doorstep so to speak but I think the working conditions may be worse. My current manager at the garage I work at has told me to stay put but like I say my days are very long with added travel and costs. That's the only downside  :-\

Turk

• Omega Baron
  • Llanelli, Wales
    • 2.5td, H-D XL1200
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 December 2013, 21:14:22 »

'due to over staffing levels at the garage I'm going to be moving to they've told me I have to go onto a spares drivers allocation'.   :o 

That statement alone would be enough reason for me to stay where I was.     
Only a biker truly understands why a dog sticks it's head out of the window of a moving car.

Seth

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales Valleys
  • If there's a 'system' - play it ... !
    • '99 2.5TD GLS Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 December 2013, 21:46:58 »

To answer some of your questions Varche,  :y

I asked for the transfer months ago which has only just been granted but due to over staffing levels at the garage I'm going to be moving to they've told me I have to go onto a spares drivers allocation which means getting my shifts on a week by week basis  >:(

The garage is on my doorstep so to speak but I think the working conditions may be worse. My current manager at the garage I work at has told me to stay put but like I say my days are very long with added travel and costs. That's the only downside  :-\

That's pretty well the norm in the bus industry Paul.

However, due to a reasonably high staff turnover generally, you'd obviously need to be patient and await a vacancy within the link at the 'new' depot. All depends on your personal thoughts I suppose, and only you can decide, ultimately.

I have a daily commute of roundly 65 miles, as opposed to 27 miles daily at my former (rail) depot.
Personally, I'm far far happier with my present location, and have no desire to return to my old haunt. I take the view that the extra time/fuel costs are justified ... and I'm quite happy with the supportiveness of my manager(ess) ... even got a Xmas card off her ... again!

As an added bonus, I now also work with an excellent bunch of colleagues! ;)
Gettin' seriously hacked-off by those who ignore the wisdom of proven experience ... and Forum guidelines.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26 December 2013, 22:08:59 »

My commute is approx 27m/1hr each way. I believe that is now less than average.

If the work at the current place is better, is an 11m commute too high a price to pay?
Grumpy old man

PAULCDX

« Reply #8 on: 26 December 2013, 22:32:50 »

Thanks for all the advice,

I'm debating then whether it put up with the commute/longer days and decent work prospects or take the local transfer but be messed about and never know what I'm working on week by week  :-\

05omegav6

« Reply #9 on: 27 December 2013, 02:45:37 »

At risk of being curt, and apologies if I have missed the point...

You're debating giving up steady, predictable work to save £3 a day in petrol :o

Assuming you get paid by the hour, and work five days out of seven, that's £15 per week.

I'll wager your pay difference that you'll be earning alot less than the £15 will save you... :-\

dad1uk

• Omega Knight
  • Birmingham
    • Vauxhall Zafira 2.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 27 December 2013, 07:30:41 »

Which garages involved Paul, at PB they seem to have a constant influx of new drivers who are going on to a different rota  because they work different hours. This, I feel, will drift into normal pattern and as the older drivers leave. To be honest I have very little to do with the garage, just get my duties and go to work. All garages have their bad sides especially with the crap that some drivers talk( same in all driving circles!).
As mentioned, for the sake of a few miles a couple of things come to mind - better the devil you know - the grass aint always greener on the other side of the fence.
Everyone has their opinion about the garages, I live near PB but when I first started almost three years ago I nearly ended up in YW, because that is the only place that had vacancies. Do you have to book on at garage or have they not rolled that out to you?
best wishes
Simon.

Johnny English

• Omega Baron
  • Hungary
  • English antitalent
    • 1995. 2.5 V6 LPG manual
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 27 December 2013, 12:37:37 »

Well, if I were you Paul, I would bluff a bit and would tell to my boss that I got a considerable offer and now ask for fuel compensation to make my decision easier...As you said you are working with great collegaues so your achievement is certainly very good, why don't ask for some compensation then?  ;)
C20NE - X25XE

2boxerdogs

« Reply #12 on: 27 December 2013, 14:42:59 »

I wish I only had to travel 11 miles each way .......  ;)  ;)  ;)

[/quote         
Me too.

2boxerdogs

« Reply #13 on: 27 December 2013, 14:52:34 »

Better the devil you know, my commute is 27 miles each way & I enjoy the journey in the 2.6

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 27 December 2013, 15:00:55 »

I just changed jobs within Sky, I gave up shift work which was a huge benefit, the job was easy, but the manager was a bit of a dick, plus it was hurting me career wise. Also I lost enjoyment from the role  :(

So I switched to a new role, little bit more money, but a lot more work, regular hours and big learning curve. It's a lot harder, but enjoyable.

My new commute (once house is all done) will be a lot longer, cost wise more as its regular weeks not shift. But it will be worth it!

As others have said you should not choose/change jobs just because of the commute, 11 miles is nothing really. You could cycle that in the summer?

Sounds like you enjoy the job, but just the commute is an issue? I think being happy in a role, more than makes up for long commutes. My record commute was 75 miles each way!

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 22 queries.