Chat Area > General Discussion Area

Auroras this weekend?

(1/4) > >>

Migalot:
SEVERE GEOMAGNETIC STORM WATCH: Giant sunspot AR3664 has now hurled at least four CMEs directly toward Earth. Their combined arrival this weekend could spark severe (G4-class) geomagnetic storms with mid- to low-latitude auroras. Although this is a potentially significant space weather event, it is not going to be the next Carrington Event. If the coming storm were a hurricane, it would be ranked category 4, not category 5.

Sunspot AR3664 has grown so large, it now rivals the great Carrington sunspot of 1859. Carrington's sunspot is famous because in August and Sept. 1859 it emitted a series of intense solar flares and CMEs. The resulting geomagnetic storms set fire to telegraph offices and sparked auroras from Cuba to Hawaii. The "Carrington Event" has since become a touchstone of space weather in pop culture, with recent headlines stoking fears of an "internet apocalypse" if it repeats.

:o :o

See https://spaceweather.com/

dave the builder:
See Lads !

My tinfoil hat aint such a "daft idea" after all  :D

Varche:
I am with you Dave except it is a knotted hanky. ;D

We are “ out in the open” at the moment on the wonderful Costa de la Luz. Worse is Rota is just down the road. When the madman nukes Europe , if he sends two to Spain one would be Madrid and the other Rota.  We will be back in our bunker from the 5th June.

Sir Tigger KC:
Good job I've got plenty of loo roll in then!  ;D

Doctor Gollum:
Will keep an eye out on the way to/from San Diego  :y

Although when I tried filming the Aurora Borialis, the video didn't pick it up over the glare from the wingtip markers. Got some decent stills though 8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version