Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 3.2 Miss fire - MAF or LPG  (Read 3498 times)

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
Re: 3.2 Miss fire - MAF or LPG
« Reply #15 on: 29 July 2012, 18:50:12 »

If its missing badly enough.

Ok,thanks TB, set of plugs to start with then.

How old are the Plugs? If under 20k Gm plugs I'd be tempted to try another maf.

Will try plugs first Chris, although not that old, no spare Maf handy at the mo, unless their the same as a 3.0 guessing not.
...only because maf is a two minute job if you have a spare. Plugs however...

I have a spare maf here if it's if use at any point.

Thanks for the offer Chris, but given the locations I'll try and source one during the week, Sods law Im doing a 80 miles round trip each day for work at the moment till Saturday, breaks my heart having run on Petrol when theres a bloody Gas Tank in the back.

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 29 July 2012, 19:00:29 »

Cut LPG out of the equation, I would say. Drive it only on petrol for a few days and see if it behaves to eliminate any MAF issues. <actually, you've confirmed OK on petrol, so MAF clearly OK>

I would say most likely the LPG setup is not mapped properly at that speed/load combination or the vapouriser isn't getting enough heat into it to supply the constant fuel demand required for motorway cruising, and the LPG pressure is dropping off. If you can shut it down and pull over safely as soon as this starts happening, it would be interesting to see if the vapouriser (or LPG tank) are getting very cold.

How and where is the vapouriser plumbed into the coolant system?

Plugs always worth checking, and changing if they've done 20k or more, but I wouldn't expect such a night and day difference between LPG and petrol.

Its plumbed in via a now cold Throttle Bodies hoses, did have a problem before with it missing on 304 and 306 a while back on Lpg but since having the Thermostat changed by Daz when he did the Cambelt problem went away.

Did wonder about a cold Throttle Body but weathers been up in the 30's last few days?

Will try the temp thing tomorrow if I get a chance Kevin.

Dissed the Battery this afternoon, been pissing down all day, with the hope the ECU may do a bit of relearning when plugged in again in the morning (some chance)!

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 29 July 2012, 19:34:44 »

Cut LPG out of the equation, I would say. Drive it only on petrol for a few days and see if it behaves to eliminate any MAF issues. <actually, you've confirmed OK on petrol, so MAF clearly OK>

I would say most likely the LPG setup is not mapped properly at that speed/load combination or the vapouriser isn't getting enough heat into it to supply the constant fuel demand required for motorway cruising, and the LPG pressure is dropping off. If you can shut it down and pull over safely as soon as this starts happening, it would be interesting to see if the vapouriser (or LPG tank) are getting very cold.

Plugs always worth checking, and changing if they've done 20k or more, but I wouldn't expect such a night and day difference between LPG and petrol.

Its plumbed in via a now cold Throttle Bodies hoses, did have a problem before with it missing on 304 and 306 a while back on Lpg but since having the Thermostat changed by Daz when he did the Cambelt problem went away.

Did wonder about a cold Throttle Body but weathers been up in the 30's last few days?

Dissed the Battery this afternoon, been pissing down all day, with the hope the ECU may do a bit of relearning when plugged in again in the morning (some chance)!

That's almost certainly the problem... That hose does not flow enough coolant for high demand at the vap. The feed needs to come from the coolant bridge to get it working properly ;)
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 29 July 2012, 19:45:47 »

That's almost certainly the problem... That hose does not flow enough coolant for high demand at the vap. The feed needs to come from the coolant bridge to get it working properly ;)

Actually, having said all that, I may need to double check, all from memory now and LPG plumbing not being my thing, do remember one bank of the 2 gas splitters gets feed from throttle body water hose where the other splitter (drivers side) does not!, may be a photo tomorrow will help.

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 29 July 2012, 20:18:37 »

Actually, having said all that, I may need to double check, all from memory now and LPG plumbing not being my thing, do remember one bank of the 2 gas splitters gets feed from throttle body water hose where the other splitter (drivers side) does not!, may be a photo tomorrow will help.

Is it a Twin Vaporiser set up? ???

The TB hoses just don't flow enough coolant for heat exchange in the vaporiser so it needs re-plumbing ;) I know the guides are only for 4 pot but principle is the same ;)

Should add, I've corrected 3 or 4 "Professional" installations that were plumbed incorrectly for the same reason ::)

ffcgary1

• Omega Baron
  • Mitcham,Surrey.
  • I really must get my eyes seen to.
    • Omega Estate/ jaguar XJ6
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 29 July 2012, 21:53:47 »

From the original post on here it would appear to resemble the fault i had on LPG on my jeep.
It turned out to be the  LPG FILTER just before the vapouriser that was blocked and at high demand it was starved of gas, worth a check before getting to involved.
Gary.
Elite leather, cruise control, 3.0ltr cams, gas flowed 3.0ltr inlet manifold, 4 bar fuel pressure regulator, rear side window demisters, rear electric windows. projectors /HID'S, h/l washers.
Jaguar XJ6

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 29 July 2012, 21:57:07 »

From the original post on here it would appear to resemble the fault i had on LPG on my jeep.
It turned out to be the  LPG FILTER just before the vapouriser that was blocked and at high demand it was starved of gas, worth a check before getting to involved.
Gary.

Equally possible that the liquid or vapour phase filers are blocked but the symptoms do lend themselves towards icing of the vaporiser, especially after the OP has confirmed (sort of) that it's not plumbed correctly ;)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 29 July 2012, 22:51:22 »

Agreed with all above. :y Vapouriser needs at least 1kw of heat input at motorway speeds. Throttle body hose won't flow nearly enough coolant for that.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 31 July 2012, 19:08:10 »

Ok, heres some pics, looks like top of the Vaporizer (not sure if theres an in and out on them or whether its just a straight thru), is connected to what was the lower side of the Throttle Body and then runs back to the top of the expansion tank (pic makes it look like its T'd but its been fitted with angle pipe, hose below it is LPG feed from Vap).

The lower hose, runs around the front of the Bodies and is connected, again with an angle joint to what was connected the NS throttle body hose and then runs NS to the rear of the Engine Bay.

So, Im now assuming this is wrong, I need the Vaporizer to be plumped in line with the HBV (before it), correct?, if so can I di this without removing the Scuttle Panel, ie where does the HBV get feed from inside the Engine Bay? or whats the best place to pick up?

Also while Im here, from the Vap the Gas pipe splits into 2 and then feeds 2 sets splitters (or are they the injectors?) 4 each side (V8) but obviously 3 each connected, on one of the banks NS theres a hose (presume gas) that goes to what looks like a pressure sensor or switch (mounted on Air Box, see pic), which in turn connects through a T piece Vacuum pipe, but only on one side not the other, is this correct?

Any thing else I need to know before re doing the plumbing?

Thanks Chris.  ;)   

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 31 July 2012, 21:06:38 »

Oh my word :o :o Is this a "Professional" installation? :-\ ::) I've seen tidier work :-X

Anyway... To answer your questions:

The easiest way to get to the HBV for the feed is (IMO) to remove the plenum (and possibly upper inlet). Then divert the flow from the coolant bridge to the Vap, then return to the HBV ;)

As for the other pipes... They are various Vacuum pipes and sensors. :y

feeutfo

« Reply #25 on: 31 July 2012, 22:07:47 »

Jesus. Bore size of the coolant pipe should have been a clue to the installer, surely...?

Thats going to take some sorting. Complete re plumbing IMO.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 31 July 2012, 23:03:59 »

Well, on the bright side, we know what the problem is. ::)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

albitz

« Reply #27 on: 01 August 2012, 00:31:36 »

That installation makes mine look tidy. :-X..........similar problem to mine after pro installation.Mine was fed from aux.coolant heater pipework,and took a long time to switch to gas,and would  often switch back to petrol,apparently at random.Had to replumb it as LD has suggested and had no problems since. ;)

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 01 August 2012, 08:57:53 »

That installation makes mine look tidy. :-X..........similar problem to mine after pro installation.Mine was fed from aux.coolant heater pipework,and took a long time to switch to gas,and would  often switch back to petrol,apparently at random.Had to replumb it as LD has suggested and had no problems since. ;)

Unfortunately it was one of the things that John and I never had a chance to sort on it ::) We did manage to sort the horrendous leak where the injector pipes were split though :o :o

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 01 August 2012, 18:01:29 »

Oh my word :o :o Is this a "Professional" installation? :-\ ::) I've seen tidier work :-X

Anyway... To answer your questions:

The easiest way to get to the HBV for the feed is (IMO) to remove the plenum (and possibly upper inlet). Then divert the flow from the coolant bridge to the Vap, then return to the HBV ;)

As for the other pipes... They are various Vacuum pipes and sensors. :y

Thanks LD.  :y :y
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 18 queries.