Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Question for the Stag LPG Experts.  (Read 2124 times)

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
Question for the Stag LPG Experts.
« on: 03 August 2014, 22:23:29 »

Ok, how hard or difficult would it be to rip out an Lpg Install and then re install on another car, V6 like for like car.

What are we looking at in terms of labour and timescales, hours, days etc, anything expensive ie new items to budget for.

It will be me and me (unless anyone wants to lend a hand) and although Ive never done a Install or rip out before Im pretty handy with the ol hammer.

As JC would say, how hard can it be?

chrisgixer

Re: Question for the Stag LPG Experts.
« Reply #1 on: 03 August 2014, 23:19:15 »

Quite, ask Joff, as I think it depends how good the original install is, as there's a good chance of replicating a total nightmare tbh, and where the original connections are made.

If its a known good, up and running install, you  ought have a better chance, but looms and pipes are likely to be too short.

Plus its double the work, given removal.

chrisgixer

« Reply #2 on: 03 August 2014, 23:24:48 »

Re install times, I allow two weekends if working alone. Do the front kit, get that in and air tight re vacuum and coolant connections. Athough that includes drilling inlets, where as yours "should" be done correctly and just he a case if swapping inlet manifolds. Plus I need a grown up to connect the sparks etc ::) ;D but that's a new kit.

Then next weekend do the rear end, connect the fuel lines etc and calibrate. Do you have the diags lead with it? Pc software is available from stag in Poland.

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 August 2014, 23:49:55 »

Quite, ask Joff, as I think it depends how good the original install is, as there's a good chance of replicating a total nightmare tbh, and where the original connections are made.

If its a known good, up and running install, you  ought have a better chance, but looms and pipes are likely to be too short.

The install is ok, although I think you may know the car Estate in question,  :-X :-X :-X ;), did have a few issues, minor ones which I have now sorted, no I dont have any software for it, and it will be going on an identical 3.2 Estate, only difference is this will be Manual so no real issues, sparks and wiring wise shouldn't have any issues doing that myself, just the fact never done an LPG jobbie before.

Quickie though, why would the the plumbing pipes be too short?

chrisgixer

« Reply #4 on: 04 August 2014, 00:06:35 »

The install is ok, although I think you may know the car Estate in question,  :-X :-X :-X ;), did have a few issues, minor ones which I have now sorted, no I dont have any software for it, and it will be going on an identical 3.2 Estate, only difference is this will be Manual so no real issues, sparks and wiring wise shouldn't have any issues doing that myself, just the fact never done an LPG jobbie before.

Quickie though, why would the the plumbing pipes be too short?

Splits and damage from removal, and bad joins with jubilees. You really want an un crushed bit of pipe to get it to settle, I've had a few issues with minor leaks where coolant has leaked by where the worm of the jubilee gives a slight flat, rather than the perfectly even pressure of the gm hose clips. Much as they are a pita to work with, they give a far better seal than jubilees.

I remember a thread where Master piped up about jubilees being shite, and he was right as usual.

Did the knocking in the right wing get fixed on that car? I never got to the bottom of weather it was a genuine issue  or not? Or even if it was lpg related. I seem to remember still having all my tools after the work though. ;D

Assuming I have the correct car of course, it should be fairly straight forward, and LD is still about.

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #5 on: 04 August 2014, 11:08:33 »

although not an lpg installer, having seen lots of pro installs (half a day), mechanical part will take 1-2 days at most..  but tuning from hours to weeks if yours is 3.2

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04 August 2014, 13:22:08 »

Splits and damage from removal, and bad joins with jubilees. You really want an un crushed bit of pipe to get it to settle, I've had a few issues with minor leaks where coolant has leaked by where the worm of the jubilee gives a slight flat, rather than the perfectly even pressure of the gm hose clips. Much as they are a pita to work with, they give a far better seal than jubilees.

I remember a thread where Master piped up about jubilees being shite, and he was right as usual.

Did the knocking in the right wing get fixed on that car? I never got to the bottom of weather it was a genuine issue  or not? Or even if it was lpg related. I seem to remember still having all my tools after the work though. ;D

Assuming I have the correct car of course, it should be fairly straight forward, and LD is still about.
No never did work out what that knocking noise is, it is LPG related, has no effect on the running of it and comes and goes randomly, had my head down there a few times, no idea.  :-\

Nope no tools left over, except a nice looking mini torque wrench, had CG marked on it, anyway binned it as dont use them.  ;D

Rubber pipe thing noted, cheers for that. Plan was to have the cars side by side for a long weekend, looks like thats a non starter, probably best to rip it out first, then try and remember where it all goes back together in the donor car.  :). or just cancell the whole idea.  :-\

chrisgixer

« Reply #7 on: 04 August 2014, 13:33:57 »

Given you won't need to drill manifolds or connect up looms and lpg plugs, the manifold should be plug and play pretty much. Just unplug the fuel injector loom iirc. I guess with a bit of prep, could lift the whole lot out in one go. Loom, ecu unplugged, coolant gubbins and vap, and swap it all over.

I rekon the front end is doable in a weekend on a swap between like for like cars. But then, I've done a few before.

Obvious question is why not just use the lpg car, but I guess you have your reasons.

The knocking, could it be described as kettling? Like an old boiler, as if there's air in it or a slight leak allowing the vap to boil. Like I said, bloody jubilees. The vap is mounted on the drivers side under the air box, as I'm sure you've seen.
« Last Edit: 04 August 2014, 13:36:22 by Dr.gixer »

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04 August 2014, 14:16:28 »

Given you won't need to drill manifolds or connect up looms and lpg plugs, the manifold should be plug and play pretty much. Just unplug the fuel injector loom iirc. I guess with a bit of prep, could lift the whole lot out in one go. Loom, ecu unplugged, coolant gubbins and vap, and swap it all over.

I rekon the front end is doable in a weekend on a swap between like for like cars. But then, I've done a few before.

Obvious question is why not just use the lpg car, but I guess you have your reasons.

The knocking, could it be described as kettling? Like an old boiler, as if there's air in it or a slight leak allowing the vap to boil. Like I said, bloody jubilees. The vap is mounted on the drivers side under the air box, as I'm sure you've seen.
Long term plan is to be left with 2 x 03 plate 3.2 Manuals, one Saloon, other Estate, both Plods with the usual Suspension set up and LPG'd. Saloon is already there, Sister to Josh's Black one, LPG'd, remapped etc, just need to finish off the Estate.

Anything with the word Auto in the tittle probably wont be around me much longer or in the foreseeable future. 

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04 August 2014, 14:55:01 »

The kme gold on my mv6 would randomly knock! At least I assumed it was that. What reducer are you running?

chrisgixer

« Reply #10 on: 04 August 2014, 15:01:00 »

Long term plan is to be left with 2 x 03 plate 3.2 Manuals, one Saloon, other Estate, both Plods with the usual Suspension set up and LPG'd. Saloon is already there, Sister to Josh's Black one, LPG'd, remapped etc, just need to finish off the Estate.

Anything with the word Auto in the tittle probably wont be around me much longer or in the foreseeable future. 

Aah, an Edwardian collection then. That's a shame... ;)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 04 August 2014, 15:07:13 »

I think if I were transplanting an LPG setup I'd budget to renew any pipework that I've disturbed.

There aren't many connections to the vehicle from the LPG system:

Chassis ground
12v Permanent
12v Switched
RPM signal
Lambda signal x 2
Injector piggy-backs

The rest of the LPG setup is self contained, and if you position the components in the same place roughly, it should just plug back in. There is normally bags of spare length cable tied up in the loom anyway.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

chrisgixer

« Reply #12 on: 04 August 2014, 15:07:55 »

The kme gold on my mv6 would randomly knock! At least I assumed it was that. What reducer are you running?

Same.

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 04 August 2014, 16:21:52 »

Same.
No idea mate,.......  I Meant Same, I knew that, same James, thanks for asking.

Same.  ;)

chrisgixer

« Reply #14 on: 04 August 2014, 17:42:08 »

Same.
No idea mate,.......  I Meant Same, I knew that, same James, thanks for asking.

Same.  ;)

...and mine is, er, the same, as well.

Same ;)

Oh, except it doesn't knock. ;D
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 18 queries.