Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... 49   Go Down

Author Topic: Omega Owners Forum  (Read 157261 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Omega Owners Forum
« Reply #285 on: 21 May 2012, 20:08:19 »

Anyway Jaime, how do you think we can improve the forum  :-X :-X :-X ;D
A valid question, but I don't think we have got to the bottom of problems in this thread.  I suspect some people are purposely avoiding posting on the thread, or are beating around the bush.

Striping out the banter, I see percieved problems being:

Members being snappy (to use H21's word, I like that!) to Newbies who make mistakes.

There is still some anger/frustration over the JB/LJ/DLK incident, going beyond those directly involved.

People see the Admin Team made a balls-up of said incident.

The age-old Cliquey problem.

I'll add a cuple extra in that I perceive:

There are a couple of factions within the OOF community that seem to be hellbent on bickering with each other, and spreading rumours about the others to neutral members.

Some people thinking that those I class as 'close friends' somehow get an easier ride here, and that these people are (to quote a post above) 'unofficial admins'.

Have I missed anything?

I'll reiterate again, this thread will be unmoderated, except for legal requirements, so feel free to stay what you like in general terms. Clearly I don't expect to see posts such as all Irishmen are blue led loving homos or anything ridiculous like that. But this is your chance to get things off your chest.

My PM box is empty(ish), if you would rather PM me. Please state if you wish to remain anonymous if I decide your point should be discussed publically or within the Admin Team. You have my word your wishes will be respected from that side of things.
Grumpy old man

feeutfo

« Reply #286 on: 21 May 2012, 20:21:38 »

Oh that, yes i don't think we'll get to the end of that one TB. Jealousy is a funny thing. ;)

RobG

• Omega Queen
  • Bristol
  • I might have a link, pic or part number for that
    • 16 plate Mokka. Vivaro
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: 21 May 2012, 20:23:26 »

Oh that, yes i don't think we'll get to the end of that one TB. Jealousy is a funny thing. ;)
Elaborate then Chris, don`t be shy ::)
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

UPVC windows/doors/fascias/soffit/gutters supplied/fitted

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
  • Driving a Honda CR-V which doesn't smell of pee
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: 21 May 2012, 20:24:35 »

???

feeutfo

« Reply #289 on: 21 May 2012, 20:27:27 »

Can't really. It's never been discussed in public, and therefor difficult to prove or be accused of pointing the finger. There no issue here tbh. So if they have an issue they need to pipe up or let it lie.

RobG

• Omega Queen
  • Bristol
  • I might have a link, pic or part number for that
    • 16 plate Mokka. Vivaro
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: 21 May 2012, 20:29:35 »

Can't really. It's never been discussed in public, and therefor difficult to prove or be accused of pointing the finger. There no issue here tbh. So if they have an issue they need to pipe up or let it lie.
Obviously is otherwise you wouldn`t have mentioned it ???
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

UPVC windows/doors/fascias/soffit/gutters supplied/fitted

hercules

• Omega Knight
  • sunnyudders
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: 21 May 2012, 20:35:09 »

???
2nd that

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: 21 May 2012, 20:36:40 »

Text speak and capitals might make it easier for one person to type in a post but it makes it much less easy for the 11879 who might potentially try to read it IMHO.

Unless you're posting a simple response to a question surely it makes sense to take a little time to make your posts comfortable and enjoyable for others to read?

I must admit, I tend to find myself subconsciously putting as much effort into answering posts as the originator has in creating it in the first place, and often don't bother if it means wading through text speak. A few spelling mistakes and grammatical errors is not an issue, just not being bothered to lift your fingers and press enough keys is, IMHO.

Having said that, text speak is not what's wrong with the forum. New users getting slated for it and other minor transgressions where they could be politely asked to avoid it is, IMHO. They may be used to the majority of other forums that appear to welcome it with open arms. ::)

In fact, there's a lot of slating going on, in general, where respectful disagreement and presentation of counter arguments would make for a more pleasant atmosphere, IMHO.

A lot of this comes down to the greater proportion of members who haven't met face to face, IMHO. Before you've met someone, you're dealing with letters on the screen. The opinions they represent might annoy or even offend you, and you respond with both barrels accordingly. Now, say that disagreement is with someone you propped up the barbecue with over a few pints at one of the meets. You know they're a really nice bloke, you just hold contrary views on a particular subject.. It changes things somewhat.

After the first couple of meets I attended when I joined 5 years back I'd probably met 80% of the regular posters on here. That core of people set the tone for all interactions on the forum to an extent. Nowadays, those who have met have apparently become a "clique" rather than the majority, and it's a problem. Maybe that's just a consequence of having grown in numbers, or maybe there's something that could be done to rectify it?  :-\
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: 21 May 2012, 20:38:49 »

I've not got a clue about this bit so i'll keep my nose out and go crack open a beer  :y

Cheers lads  :-*

jonnycool

• Omega Baron
  • Merthyr Tydfil, S. Wales
  • We shag 'em, you eat 'em
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: 21 May 2012, 20:39:03 »

I think we should just have done with this Jimbob/LJay/Loo-Knee thing, hindsight is a great thing but I think the admins did a good job under the circumstances, and they've explained their reasoning more than a few times. I doubt whether any of us would have taken any better decisions. Let's draw a line under it, we're all grown ups here and most of us knows what everybody's opinion on it is, so why harp on about it any more? And who's never made a bad decision anyway?

Part of the reason why this is still a great forum is due to the decisions that the admins make, whether that's banning text speak, bad language or whatever. I think it's a great team - just check out any other forum for any length of time to see what I mean
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving probably isn't for you

jimac

• Newcastle upon Tyne
    • Vectra 1.9 CDTi [150] SRi
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: 21 May 2012, 20:39:34 »

OK, I got to about page 6 in this thread before I gave up so here's my view.

I've been coming to this forum for just over a year or so when I got my Omega. And I think that "forum" is the word that needs to be emphasised. I didn't join a club, with all of the rules and politics that that implies. I come here to read the discussions that are an intrinsic element of a forum - which is a place where opinions are sought and offered. If I don't like a topic I don't read it. I'll often skip topics that don't have a subject that interests me, and I'll often abandon topics that I think have become boring. But I won't complain about any of them. Nobody is here to entertain or inform me, but I have gleaned some very useful information along the way.

I attend other forums, mainly motorcycling, but I only regularly return to the ones that interest me. This is definitely one of the best. Sure, there's a clique (there always is) but it doesn't bother me because I get out of the forum what I want to get out of it. I haven't come here to make friends (or enemies) but it's quite reasonable that some do and it's only to be expected that they will exchange friendly banter on their own terms.

So, don't change, keep going and just accept that people are different with different wants and needs.

feeutfo

« Reply #296 on: 21 May 2012, 20:39:58 »

Obviously is otherwise you wouldn`t have mentioned it ???
honestly, I don't have an issue. I'll take people as I find them. Or try to. The rest is out of my hands afaict.

feeutfo

« Reply #297 on: 21 May 2012, 20:41:26 »

???
2nd that
We all know TB has been chasing me for years. ;D

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: 21 May 2012, 20:43:54 »

???
2nd that

So thats what goes on at these meets then  :-X :-X :-X :-X

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: 21 May 2012, 20:44:43 »

???
2nd that

So thats what goes on at these meets then  :-X :-X :-X :-X

Oh, did you think this was a car forum? ;)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... 49   Go Up

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 22 queries.