Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Omega 03 facelift front wheel neg camber  (Read 2403 times)

bizza69

• Washington, Tyne & Wear
  • Omegas - the only thing as smooth as me ;-)
    • View Profile
Omega 03 facelift front wheel neg camber
« on: 17 March 2007, 15:18:01 »

My Omega is getting me down at the mo.  It's chewing tyres like there's no tomorrow and I've just recently replaced (twice on NS) both bottom wishbones due to bush wear, parts used were FAI aftermarket ones said by my local factor to be the best ones available, costing £40 a shot.  Since this has been done, a local tracking centre has pointed out that the top of the tyres are markedly in over compared to the bottom, accounting for the scrubbing off of the tyres on the inner edges of the tread.  The wheels look like they're exhausted from carrying a heavy weight due to the angle they're lying at.  Can anyone PLEASE give me part number and manufacturer of bottom wishbones that will put the camber right???? :( At the same time, any idea why the exhaust emissions light keeps coming on; the car has an LPG conversion on and the fault code refers to the MAF sensor but I've heard a lot of talk about this often not actually needing replaced, and I don't want to have to if I don't have to, a new sensore being about £100. :'( The car is as smooth as ever but has the performance and throttle response of a pregnant slug at the moment.  And finally, on the autodimming mirror, any idea anybody, which colour wires to connect, on the little harness in the mirror base, to the interior light pos and neg to get it grafting?  Not bothered about memory functions or the reversing bit, I just want it to dim when nuggets are behind me.  Thanks to anyone and everyone in advance for your much-appreciated help  :y

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Omega 03 facelift front wheel neg camber
« Reply #1 on: 17 March 2007, 15:39:58 »

Who fitted the wishbones?

FAI are normally fine. The worn bushes suggests the wishbones have not been fitted properly, the bolts need to be tightened with the wheels on the ground or the bushes will be ripped apart.

Once done the geometry needsto be reset as everything will be way out.

Where in the country are you?

Without question, the best place for steering to be sorted is wheels in motion in Watford. Very highly recommended by numerous members here.
www.wheels-inmotion.co.uk

If you are not in that area, check the list of other recommended garages.

With regards to the emissions light. I can't comment much on the LPG as others know far more than me on that.
However, have you tried running on just petrol for a couple of days? Does it still behave the same?
« Last Edit: 17 March 2007, 15:43:45 by admin »
The Administrator.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 March 2007, 16:15:20 »

something not right there!! I found Omega's excellent on tyres (talking 40k+) to a set of tyres.

Agreed about above, get your self to Wheels in Motion.

Personally if I was any ware in the UK i would make a run down there, heard some excellent things about that place. Mention this place and you get a discount, also one of the Admins cars here is the "benchmark" for Omega's.....

Danny

• Omega Lord
  • Wigan, Greater Manchester
  • BLACK 1.6 BORA SHAPED JETTA!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 March 2007, 19:55:01 »

what tyres are they?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17 March 2007, 20:01:09 »

Inside edge getting chewed is not uncommon on Omegas.

As suggested, try Wheels In Motion - I personally recommend them highly...
Grumpy old man

bizza69

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17 March 2007, 20:08:53 »

Thanks for your help chaps; surely though tightening the bolts once the wheels are on the ground will make the problem worse, as the weight borne will spread the wheels out further due to settlement? We're on the point tomorrow of loosening the bolts, pushing bottom in and pulling top out whilst off the ground, and tightening whilst doing this; thoughts please? Tyres were not scrubbing off until the wishbones were replaced; the tracking centre I talked to reckon Vx have modified items in an attempt to rectify??

And re the emissions light, this is unaffected by running on petrol, have tried that to no avail.

I LOVE my Omega but she's stretching my patience at the minute...... have rear shocks and struts to replace yet.....  :-/

Re location, I'm in Washington Tyne & Wear so Watford's not really practical grrrr (would have to replace the tyres midway, ha)

Your advice is much appreciated gents  :D

bizza69

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17 March 2007, 20:10:31 »

Tyres are Continental Premium Contact as standard spec on current Vectra.

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #7 on: 17 March 2007, 20:14:33 »

My front tyres scuff on the insides.....but i got about 27k outa them before the mot blokey failed it for it......so not overly bothered.

Emissions light coming on and your running on lpg......ignore it! mine does the same....and so does Martin Imbers (both lpg'd)

MAF sensor fault code......you possibly have an air leak....so check the air inlet hoses for splits.
Iirc the ecu knows how air there should be coming in and if MAF sensor reports a widely different value....the ecu flags the MAF as faulty.....so if you have an air leak.....MAF could be reporting correctly.

HTH

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #8 on: 17 March 2007, 20:20:52 »

And re the emissions light, this is unaffected by running on petrol, have tried that to no avail.

Bet it goes off if you run on petrol for a period of time......judging by the way my emissions light behaves....its not switch to petrol and im happy now...so goes off....it takes quite a few restarts before it will go off.....probably 20-30.

I also find it depends which brand of lpg you put in it......i usually use countrywide.....emissions light stays off with that......shove bp lpg in it and on it comes.....then it takes a few tanks of countrywide lpg before it goes back off again

JasonH

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 17 March 2007, 20:50:52 »

On the Omega the front camber is fully adjustable. If the camber is not set right then replacing the wishbones won't help. Some people undo the strut to knuckle bolts when fitting wishbones. If you do this your camber setting will be ruined and you'll need a professional geometry alignment (not just tracking).

Dave-C

• Omega Knight
  • Staffordshire
  • The Old Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 17 March 2007, 21:26:24 »

Wishbones, as most have heard on here, I replaced mine last week with a new pair from VSC (Vauxhall Spares Centre), do a search on e-bay £45 + £10 p&p... excellent quality product...  try these,  tighten up with a fatty or two people sitting in the front of the motor though... mines NEVER run so straight in almost 4 years...

DC
Do it right, do it once................

Matchless

• Omega Knight
  • Nottingham
    • A white van
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 17 March 2007, 22:56:13 »

The lower wishbones do not set the front camber!! (unless they are knackered tired.
There are two bolts where the front strut joins the upright.....one of these holes is slightly elongated to allow for camber adjustment.
Take it to a reliable alignment centre and get it set-up properly....its much cheaper than buying new tyres.

The wishbone mounting bolts must not be tightened until the wheels are on the ground and the car has been rolled back and forth to get the suspension settled to its 'normal' position. If you tighten the bolts with the wheels unloaded then the wishbone bushes will have a very short life.

bizza69

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 18 March 2007, 10:55:05 »

Very very helpful gents, I am indebted.  Gonna try the ebay site and go from there, although I WILL see if there is the aforementioned camber adjustment on the car first, might save me some money. Muahhhhhh to you all  :y

omegadan2.2i

• Worksop, Notts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 18 March 2007, 21:34:49 »

Hi

Just recently bought an 02 2.2i CD Saloon with only 24k (now done 26k) had recently had a new set of front tyres just before I bought it (less than 1k ago) and I have noticed they are starting to wear prematurely on BOTH front wheels on the OUTSIDE edge. :(

Could this just be the tracking OR does my Meega need a full geometry check????

Does anyone know a decent place where I can get this checked out in Notts???

Dan

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 18 March 2007, 21:38:10 »

Hi

Just recently bought an 02 2.2i CD Saloon with only 24k (now done 26k) had recently had a new set of front tyres just before I bought it (less than 1k ago) and I have noticed they are starting to wear prematurely on BOTH front wheels on the OUTSIDE edge. :(

Could this just be the tracking OR does my Meega need a full geometry check????

Does anyone know a decent place where I can get this checked out in Notts???

Dan
As the car is new to you, don't waste money on tracking etc. Get a full geometry check done. Wheels In Motion is recommended highly, but may be a tad far for you. Check their site out anyway...
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 21 queries.