Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wandering steering and overactive central locking  (Read 643 times)

bert13

• View Profile
Wandering steering and overactive central locking
« on: 19 March 2007, 19:50:04 »

Before I venture out in the winters last icy blast I was wondering if someone could save me a little fault finding time....

Firstly my omega has developed overactive central locking - everytime i unlock it, fob or key in lock, it relocks. Simply slamming the drivers door will cause it to lock (I have been left stranded with the keys inside!). Fortunately it never unlocks on its own. I assume there is some form of sensor in the door which tells the central locking to function, and it is stuck in the lock position. Any pointers as to what to look for will be gratefully received.

Secondly my omega wanders somewhat, plenty of minor steering correction required. It really doens't like the tracks created by lorries in certain motorways. From what I have read on the forums so far I suspect that I will need to change the front wishbones and steering idler, but before I start getting oily is there anything else to look for and which one should i do first (or both at the same time), plus where is a good place to get parts (I have seen some wishbones on ebay for about £23ea)

thanks

Bert

Nextgen

• Stockport
  • avatar disabled as its mahoosive!!
    • View Profile
Re: Wandering steering and overactive central lock
« Reply #1 on: 20 March 2007, 12:08:11 »

I've just done both wishbones and idler and shocks, and had a full geometry setup.....

I did these incrementaly and so can say in my case, the most dramatic improvement was the steering idler.
The wishbones were shot, *but* fixing them only made it feel more solid (less shimmery), it still had a tendancy to wander in truck ruts badly. Next was the idler - dramatic improvement all round. No wander anymore, but still the feeling of sofaboating. Geometry Fixed this, but it was still diving a bit on corners - new shocks (Bilsteins OEM - cheap and bloody good) and instant fix. and an MOT pass. Nimble as ever now!

Edwin
"Don't fear the penguins!"
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 21 queries.