Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Diesel Omega anyone....  (Read 2760 times)

kwackerblue

• shropshire
    • View Profile
Diesel Omega anyone....
« on: 15 August 2006, 20:06:42 »

I'd be interested to hear from anyone out there who has a 2.2DTi - especially if you have run it a long time. I ain't never had a diesel before so this is pretty new to me but Jeez am I impressed so far. Haven't had this much fun on so little fuel since me first moped - only a bit more kudos this time.

Anything go wrong with these, anything I should watch out for and any driving tips from those in the know?

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
Re: Diesel Omega anyone....
« Reply #1 on: 15 August 2006, 20:08:12 »

The 2.2 DTi is a good unit...reliable and no real known faults. Just change the oil and filter regularly.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15 August 2006, 20:08:25 »

The 2.2DTi seems to be quite reliable. Seems a little rougher than the 6 cylinder ones, but only to be expected from 4 cylinder engine.
Grumpy old man

MadOnVaux

• Lake District
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 August 2006, 15:04:36 »

I have one, a 2.2 DTi CD 4dr manual, and appeared to be the only member with one on here, before you turned up :)

Ive only had it just under 4 weeks, and i love the power delivery and the way it cruises...not keen on the roughness of the engine and the vibration through the clutch and gearstick but that is to be expected really with a RWD oil burner.

I expected it to be saving me huge ammounts in fuel compared to my tuned Calibra 16v, but its not...even though my Ave' MPG is showing 32.5, and the Calibra was 26.8, i seem to get through £40 of deisel in about a week, where as £40 of petrol in the Calibra lasted me 10days at the minimum, and its all the same price up here....i dont consider £160 a month fuel bills to be very good.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 August 2006, 17:14:12 »

is that mainly town driving??

MadOnVaux

• Lake District
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 August 2006, 17:31:49 »

is that mainly town driving??

Yes, mainly...and i do a fair bit of fast A & B road driving too, and use almost all the rev range.

All Turbo'd cars, be them Petrol or Deisel, drink the juice when the Turbo is spinning away, as its forcing loads of air in and thus loads of fuel too.

kwackerblue

• shropshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 16 August 2006, 22:07:35 »

Interested to hear of your MPG figure. I reckon this week I've seen mid 40's as an average - mind you that was pretty gentle in the main but like you I like to use the rev range (and the overtaking is better than my old nissan - that was bloody scary) I s'pose if you rev 'em up then they will use the fuel like any big car.

I was driving for work mind, so I wasn't in any real hurry - just nice to cruise all stateley and in comfort with good music and the auto aircon keeping things comfy.....

MadOnVaux

• Lake District
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17 August 2006, 14:34:16 »

The DTi's are by far at their best on the m/way, in 5th at 70mph at about 1500rpm or whatever they sit at  ;), and more importantly, off boost.

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17 August 2006, 16:21:48 »

Do you have the air conditioning on alot only I find this affect mine more mileage wise when on?
« Last Edit: 17 August 2006, 16:22:09 by nixoro »

MadOnVaux

• Lake District
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 17 August 2006, 20:11:23 »

Aye, its on pretty much all of the time...i keep forgetting to press the 'ECO' button  ;)

stevief

• Aberdeen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 21 August 2006, 15:55:19 »

Just coming up for two years with the car now and only had the usual niggles such as wishbones to contend with.

Fuel consumption varies significantly depending on the type of driving but has been consistently around the 32 MPG mark for the 14 mile commute every day which is a mixture of dual carraigeway and town down to around 27 towing the caravan and up to 45 -50 for longer runs - all aveages from the computer which is a couple of MPG out from actual measured figures.

Mods so far are a K&N filter in the standard box but with the restrictor pipe removed from the top of the box (this was accidental when I dropped the lid but does make a difference so it was left out), a P-Box fuel pump piggyback chip and a 2 1/2" stainless Magnaflow system. It won't compete with many of the smaller diesels but it is quick enough for the time being.

All of the 2.2s seem to get a bit of oil seepage around the front of the engine between the block and the head but it does not seen to be a major problem and has not become any worse.

Removal of the hoses between the turbo, the intercooler and the inlet manifold may cause concern, as it did with me, due to the amount of oil present on the inside of the hoses. This build up is due to the vent for the rocker cover being before the turbo so any oil mist is sucked into the turbo and blown through the inlet tract.

The oil burners may not have the charisma of the V6s but then again it depends on what you want from the car.

Steve

MadOnVaux

• Lake District
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 21 August 2006, 17:09:06 »

Interesting stuff Stevie  :)

How did you go with the Magnaflow exhaust?...was it packed to still give you the back-pressure you need or what?...i've been told you have to be wary of altering exhaust systems on diesels as it can destroy the power delivery reagrds the relatively short torque band.

I was going to get some sort of exhaust, but mainly just for the look's as i hate the std bent pipe, but couldnt be arsed in the end so stuck a twin 3" stainless trim on.

Im intending to fit a panel filter too shortly, will be Pipercross as ive had experience of them and im very happy with the results...and also a tuning jobby thing-a-magic such as you have fitted...how do you rate the change in drive-a-bility and performance after fittting it?

I know what you mean about the oil seepage between the block and head, i'm going to clean it off mine at some point as it look's awful...I also know what you mean regards the oil in the pipes on the Turbo etc...i was abit shocked at first to see the oil, but thought no more of it.

Does the horn drive you mad?...it does me, sounds like a bloody Mini-Metro...very un-befitting the size and prestige of the car, cant figure out why Vauxhall only fitted the single tone unit on the DTi, there must be a reason i suppose, maybe a space issue?

Good to have another 2.2DTi owner on board too :)

« Last Edit: 21 August 2006, 17:13:03 by MadOnVaux »

stevief

• Aberdeen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 22 August 2006, 12:46:07 »

Does the horn drive you mad?...it does me, sounds like a bloody Mini-Metro...very un-befitting the size and prestige of the car, cant figure out why Vauxhall only fitted the single tone unit on the DTi, there must be a reason i suppose, maybe a space issue?

It's a diesel,  surely the noise alone lets people know you are there. Can't say the horn has bothered me that much, as long as it makes a noise.

Magnaflow system is 2 1/2" with straight through silencers but is relatively quiet. You may have read that the fitter put on a 2" system and that realy slowed her down quite a bit due to the restricted flow. Correct size fitted and all is well.

The chip does everything it says on the box and you can feel the difference right away. Mine is switched so I can run without it if required.
The only thing I would suggest is get the smallest sized box you can as space is limited for mounting.

Steve

jerseymike68

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 16 August 2009, 17:11:26 »

what's new about your forum

jerseymike68

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 16 August 2009, 17:12:19 »

lol..........................

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 22 queries.