Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fitting a bath...  (Read 1250 times)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
Fitting a bath...
« on: 20 November 2012, 22:53:44 »

I'm going to fit an acrylic double ended bath where the taps and plug are in the middle.  I've worked out the plumbing side of things but I'm unsure how to fix the bath to the wall.  :-\

It has 4 sturdy adjustable feet and I'm going to sit it on 2 lengths of 4x2 screwed to the concrete floor and then screw the feet to the wood.  What I'm unsure about is how to fix it to the wall...  ::)  I feel that there should be brackets of some sort, but it has nothing obvious to fix to the wall...  :-\
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

OOMV6

Re: Fitting a bath...
« Reply #1 on: 20 November 2012, 23:10:28 »

Without more detail a little difficult to answer? Is the bath in an alcove whereby both ends are against a wall? Does it have a side panel, and as a result anything underneath is hidden?

If the answer is yes to both then there are brackets that exist you screw to the wall and the bath "hangs" on them. Then the feet get adjusted down until they touch the floor. The legs alone will normally not be enough.

Alternatively build a frame from 4cm*6cm batons. Sit the bath in the frame, then lower feet and fit panel

HTH

flyer 0712

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 November 2012, 23:21:37 »

Dont forget to fill the bath with water..then seal it around the edge...then when sealer is dry empty the water out  :y

Richie London

• Omega Queen
  • heathrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 November 2012, 23:21:51 »

Gripfill it to the wall once its level with water in,or the tiles and sealant will keep it in place. never fails either way.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 November 2012, 23:24:31 »

Its going to sit in the corner then I'll fit a side and end panel so everything will be hidden.  :)

I thought about a frame, but I don't think there is room where the taps are down the side....  :-\  Usually baths have wood running around the inside of the rim, but this one dosn't, possibly because of the taps...  I did think about drilling through the rim and screwing it directly to the wall and plenty of mastic... :-\

Gripfill rather than Mastic?  ???

Thanks for the replies!  :)
« Last Edit: 20 November 2012, 23:28:53 by TiggerHayes »

SIR Philbutt

• Omega Knight
  • Rochdale - Manchester
  • It will soon be Christmas ...
    • 03 2.2 CDX LPG estate
    • View Profile
    • PJB Home Services
« Reply #5 on: 20 November 2012, 23:37:49 »

As above - some good advice there.

If no wood edging on bath you can screw a piece of baton (25 x 25) to the wall with the baton pushing against the inside edge of the bath lip. That will hold it.

Adjust the bath height to suite the actual size of the bath panel, plus the height of the flooring you are putting in, saves cutting it

Level both sides and ends, they can go in twisted. Screw the legs to the floor and double check level

Make sure you seal (silicon) the bath against any wall it is fitting too. That is before the wall covering, then seal to wall covering. Lowers chance of leaks in the future

If your taps are bath mounted put them in with long "flexi" connectors so you can connect them up easily.

HTH
Phil (TheBathroomFitter.com)  ;)
keep happy, keep safe, keep smiling, keep in touch

martin42

« Reply #6 on: 21 November 2012, 10:51:56 »

bit off advice,make sure the legs are the correct distance apart,also fit the middle leg,alot of people dont bother and then they get problems,also seal around the bath 1st with clear sealant before tiling and then seal again around bath after its tiled,also before screwing down the feet,angle them slight to the rear of the bath,then as you tighten them it also helps to keep it tight against the wall.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21 November 2012, 22:08:17 »

Thanks for all the advice!!!  :y

I got it all in this afternoon all lined up and leveled nicely and thought before I start fixing I'd hook up the waste pipe just to make sure, even though I'd measured and measured!!  It's got a lovely run on it.... back towards the bath!!!  :-[  ;D

So do I raise the bath? At 610mm it seems quite high already, but 20/30mm should do it, or drill a new hole through the wall lower than the existing one?  If I drill a new hole the pipe will have a straight run through the wall, whereas using the existing hole the pipe has abit of a kink...  Oh what to do....  ::)  :-\

OOMV6

« Reply #8 on: 21 November 2012, 22:18:49 »

Thanks for all the advice!!!  :y

I got it all in this afternoon all lined up and leveled nicely and thought before I start fixing I'd hook up the waste pipe just to make sure, even though I'd measured and measured!!  It's got a lovely run on it.... back towards the bath!!!  :-[  ;D

So do I raise the bath? At 610mm it seems quite high already, but 20/30mm should do it, or drill a new hole through the wall lower than the existing one?  If I drill a new hole the pipe will have a straight run through the wall, whereas using the existing hole the pipe has abit of a kink...  Oh what to do....  ::)  :-\

The trap - is it a flat one like this? http://www.reuter-badshop.com/viega-tempoplex-drain-fitting-with-removable-trap-p195936.php

If not, change it for one like this.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 21 November 2012, 22:49:51 »

That looks just the job!! but at €47.88 a tad pricey!!!  :o  I've got a shallow U-bend (£3.63!) but it still hangs too low...

What I really wanted was a 90 degree connector with a female screw fitting to screw direct to the bath waste and a compression fitting on the other end, then have the U-bend at the wall...  :-\  That probably contravenes every reg in the book!!  ::)

Tony H

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
  • Black Elites are luurvley
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 21 November 2012, 23:10:18 »

That looks just the job!! but at €47.88 a tad pricey!!!  :o  I've got a shallow U-bend (£3.63!) but it still hangs too low...

What I really wanted was a 90 degree connector with a female screw fitting to screw direct to the bath waste and a compression fitting on the other end, then have the U-bend at the wall...  :-\  That probably contravenes every reg in the book!!  ::)
Jeesus at least Dick Turpin wore a mask  :o. Thats more like it :y
Be aware of mole holes be very aware!

OOMV6

« Reply #11 on: 21 November 2012, 23:16:21 »

Yeah sorry. I meant something like this http://www.hellopro.fr/siphon-et-vidage-baignoire-ref-230201-2010742-260513-produit.html . Sorry about the language, but at least the pic is there

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 22 November 2012, 00:51:47 »

To be honest it dosn't look much different from the shallow u-bend that I have....  :-\  Think I'll raise the bath a bit more, easier than knocking more holes through the wall!!  ;)

Thanks for the help though!  :)

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 22 queries.