Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: funny noise  (Read 2502 times)

turbonuts

• View Profile
funny noise
« on: 11 February 2007, 18:02:37 »

hi there i have a 97 2.0 16 valve omega and when i start it when its cold the engine makes a loud wigning noise from the front passenger side if anyone can help me out that would be greatfull  :y

omegaV6CD

• Intermediate Member
  • Darlington
    • View Profile
Re: funny noise
« Reply #1 on: 11 February 2007, 18:06:15 »

hi there i have a 97 2.0 16 valve omega and when i start it when its cold the engine makes a loud wigning noise from the front passenger side if anyone can help me out that would be greatfull  :y

It is probably the secondary air injection pump that runs for few seconds to warm up the cats and reduce emissions. Nothing to worry about mate.

turbonuts

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 February 2007, 18:12:46 »

well thanks for that mate a friend said that the cold start and it cost 500 pound to fix but i thorght i would ask the blokes in the know  thanks again mate
 :y :y :y :y :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 February 2007, 18:15:39 »

unplug the pump, see if the noise stops ;)
Grumpy old man

JasonH

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 February 2007, 18:41:39 »

A genuine new pump is £350+VAT.

But they do nothing useful and even Vauxhall dropped them from newer models. As TB says unplug it and forget it.

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 February 2007, 18:48:26 »

...even Vauxhall dropped them from newer models...

Everyone seem to be saying that....  :o

But in the 2001 sales brochure describing the 2.6/3.2 engines they say:

'Emission control: Electronic exhaust recirculation. Secondary air injection. Activated charcoal evaporation control canister. Lambda sensor and twin three-way closed-loop catalytic converters.'

So it seems that the EGR function is still there though it is now electronic i.e. without the machnical EGR valve, and that the secondary air injection pump is still somewhere in the system...?  :-?

Alas, no more Omegas....

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11 February 2007, 19:50:35 »

'Emission control: Electronic exhaust recirculation. Secondary air injection. Activated charcoal evaporation control canister. Lambda sensor and twin three-way closed-loop catalytic converters.'

So it seems that the EGR function is still there though it is now electronic i.e. without the machnical EGR valve, and that the secondary air injection pump is still somewhere in the system...?  :-?

No, those parts no longer exist. The lower compression ratio means no need for EGR, as little NOX anyway...
Grumpy old man

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11 February 2007, 21:17:15 »

No, those parts no longer exist. The lower compression ratio means no need for EGR, as little NOX anyway...

..but the sales brochure... it says....  :-/
Alas, no more Omegas....

turbonuts

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11 February 2007, 21:21:33 »

thank you for the replys and where do i un plug it wat do i need to look for

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 11 February 2007, 21:22:39 »

thank you for the replys and where do i un plug it wat do i need to look for
Between bumper and NS Front wheel, look up under there, there will be a pump. Just unplug it...
Grumpy old man

JasonH

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 11 February 2007, 21:32:54 »

It's above the horns and about the size of a small football.

BigCat

• Battersea
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 11 February 2007, 23:16:32 »

Sorry to hijack the thread, are you (or VX) saying that lower compression ratios result in lower NOX?

The first 90% of a job takes 90% of the time, the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 11 February 2007, 23:54:41 »

According to http://www.autozine.org/technical_school/engine/petrol2.htm, this is what the EGR does:

-----------------------------------------

Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR)
Exhaust Gas Recirculation is a proven technique to reduce fuel consumption and emission. It does that by recirculating some of the exhaust gas back to the combustion chamber. Thus the effective engine displacement is reduced and drink less fuel. Inevitably, you may say this also reduce power output, so why not select higher gear and slow down the engine to obtain the same result ?
The answer is: not every one like this kind of cruising. If you drive in a hurry, you don’t like to reduce the engine speed as you want to accelerate as soon as overtaking opportunity comes. If you drive in traffic, which calls for intermittent acceleration and deceleration, you are not likely to select the 4th and 5th gear too. A considerable large portion of our daily driving is spent on the "low gear, high rev" pattern which does not optimize fuel consumption. This makes EGR worthy.

EGR recirculate some of the exhaust gas (probably up to 10%) back to the inlet valve via a recirculation pipe. The amount is determined by engine ECU and controlled by a valve at the recirculation pipe. When the ECU believes the engine is running at light load, it directs the exhaust gas back to the combustion chamber. As the exhaust gas is largely non-ignitable and takes no part in the combustion process, the fuel injection can emit less fuel without worrying failure combustion. As a result, the engine still run at roughly the same speed but power output, fuel consumption and emission are all reduced.

Yet this is only half of the story. Another large portion of the fuel and emission saved is contributed by the reduction of pumping loss. Pumping loss is the power used to pump the fresh air into the cylinder and pump the exhaust gas out, of course the "pump" is the piston. To reduce the power wasted in pumping in fresh air, we can pressurised the input air, that is, using turbocharger, or alternatively add some high-pressure, speedy gas into the input stream. In our case of EGR such gas is the exhaust gas.

To our environment, apart from the emission reduced via consuming less fuel, EGR also reduces NOx emission. How ? as the amount of combustible gas is reduced, temperature in combustion chamber is also reduced. Because NOx generates at high temperature, NOx emission is also reduced.

-----------------------------------------

Alas, no more Omegas....

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 11 February 2007, 23:56:26 »

Also, form the same source:

----------------------------------------

Lower compression ratio means less energy loss in compressing air, i.e., the so-called "pumping loss". Moreover, lighter compression leads to lower temperature, thus reduces heat loss in cylinder wall and pistons. To compensate the reduction in real capacity, a supercharger is employed to increase the air density such that the engine actually resume 100% capacity. Of course, the supercharger must generates less pumping loss than those gain by reducing compression ratio.

----------------------------------------
Alas, no more Omegas....

omegaV6CD

• Intermediate Member
  • Darlington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 11 February 2007, 23:58:56 »

Just for informatiom, you do not need an EGR valve to introduce EGR to an engine, you can allow exhaust gas recirculation with a certain amount of valve overlap(it is called internal EGR) You could go up to 40% EGR like that.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 21 queries.