Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Having a short break  (Read 1604 times)

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
Having a short break
« on: 07 February 2007, 00:29:47 »

Me and her are off on Thursday for a few days to visit relatives and take in a couple of Londons West End shows, so may well have restricted access here due to using a hand held and trying to pick up any unsecured wireless networks I can find....   [smiley=evil.gif]

Going to take in 'We will rock you' at the Dominion in Tottenham Court Road on Friday, with 'Dancing in the streets' at the Playhouse in Northumberland Avenue on the Saturday.

Anyone local got good hints & tips for eating close to the theatre?

(or how to blag wifi on the cheap....   ;)  )

B

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
Re: Having a short break
« Reply #1 on: 07 February 2007, 00:48:54 »

Hope you’re not taking the ‘meega, parking in London is a nightmare (and costs an arm and a leg) not to mention the Ken Livingston Tax (aka Congestion Charge).  ;D

No specific advice re eating, the area is full of restaurants and coffee shops, some are chains and some are local, but check the prices – this is London and nothing comes cheap including food… :(

But it’s not all doom and gloom – going to the theatre in the west End is a real treat, quite an experience.  :y

As for other sites – the British Museum is five minutes walk from Tottenham Court Road (where you can see Egyptian mummies), and the British Library is 15 minutes walk away near Kings Cross – both worth visiting. Then there’s the Science Museum which is a must (though it’s a bit further away south of Hyde Park), they have car section and a Rover Jet1 on display… but my favourite is the Spitfire exhibition. If you are into art then the Victoria and Albert Museum (V&A) is very near to the Science Museum, and there’s The Royal Academy of Arts in Piccadilly. And all these establishments are free (or charge minimal entry fee).

And did I mention Madame Tussaud's in Baker Street? Or the London Dungeon? Or the Tower of London?

With regards to Internet – there are Internet cafes in Tottenham Court road, but if you really develop withdrawal syndromes that you are invited to drop by my office in Kings Cross, when you can have a workstation with Internet access at your disposal….
Alas, no more Omegas....

RossPhim

• Morayshire, Scotland
  • The blue oval now-a-days!?!
    • 2.2 TDCi TXS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 February 2007, 07:21:46 »

Hope you enjoy your stay!
I took the wife to the 'We Will Rock You' thingy, around 3 years ago when I was still working in South London. An excellent show, as was the 'Mamma Mia' one.
As for eating, as markjay says, theres loads around Tottenham Court Road, take your pick.
If I remember correctly there's a Tube station within about 2 minutes walk form the Theatre.
Have fun!
Ross

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07 February 2007, 08:22:43 »

Have a good time :y
I like red cars

Martin_1962

« Reply #4 on: 07 February 2007, 09:28:57 »

Have a nice time!

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07 February 2007, 10:44:38 »

Excellent choice of show! :)

Went to see it 18 months ago, it was awesome!  :y
The Administrator.

bob.dent

• Omega Lord
  • Hertfordshire
  • Drives better than an Omega
    • Mondeo 2.0TDCI Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07 February 2007, 15:08:07 »

Me and her are off on Thursday for a few days to visit relatives and take in a couple of Londons West End shows, so may well have restricted access here due to using a hand held and trying to pick up any unsecured wireless networks I can find....   [smiley=evil.gif]

Going to take in 'We will rock you' at the Dominion in Tottenham Court Road on Friday, with 'Dancing in the streets' at the Playhouse in Northumberland Avenue on the Saturday.

Anyone local got good hints & tips for eating close to the theatre?

(or how to blag wifi on the cheap....   ;)  )

B

Fantastic show - you'll love it! :y Took the family to see it a few years ago and it really blows you away. Have a great stay Broocie.
I HAVE THE BODY OF AN 18 YEAR OLD.......I KEEP IT IN THE FRIDGE!

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • RS4, BMW X5, Range Rover
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/Markiescarparts/149306545168993
« Reply #7 on: 07 February 2007, 15:40:19 »

have a great time H21  ;) and i will be asking you for tips on your return as we are in London on 23-27 March - Kensington area. :y
MarkiesCarParts-Online Now With A New 4000FT Partswarehouse; Stocking Thousands of Vauxhall,Peugeot, Citroen, Renault & Rover NEW Parts - Check us on Ebay MarkiesCarParts-Online. PM me via OOF for discount

bob.dent

• Omega Lord
  • Hertfordshire
    • Mondeo 2.0TDCI Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 07 February 2007, 15:49:23 »

have a great time H21  ;) and i will be asking you for tips on your return as we are in London on 23-27 March - Kensington area. :y

Markie, I can recommend an excellent restaurant in the Kensington area, the food and service is absolutely top notch. :y  It's not cheap but it won't cost an arm or leg either. We used it last time we went to the Royal Albert Hall and will certainly be going there again. Let me know if you're interested and I'll let you have details.

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 07 February 2007, 15:56:45 »

Markie, I can recommend an excellent restaurant in the Kensington area, the food and service is absolutely top notch. :y  It's not cheap but it won't cost an arm or leg either. We used it last time we went to the Royal Albert Hall and will certainly be going there again. Let me know if you're interested and I'll let you have details.

Definately intrested Bob - not bothered if it costs an arm and a leg ( she's paying)  ;D
MarkiesCarParts-Online Now With A New 4000FT Partswarehouse; Stocking Thousands of Vauxhall,Peugeot, Citroen, Renault & Rover NEW Parts - Check us on Ebay MarkiesCarParts-Online. PM me via OOF for discount

iggy21uk

• Omega Knight
  • Berkhamsted - Herts
  • Omega Spotter -  tats gone tanning
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 07 February 2007, 17:33:50 »

Better bring your skis the weather forcast is for a large dump of snooow to night ??????????
[size=10]Opelscanner Can owner / Cam lock kit owner [/size] [/i][/b]

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 07 February 2007, 17:53:39 »

Better bring your skis the weather forcast is for a large dump of snooow to night ??????????

indeed...due to the industry i am in severe weather can seriously impact our productivity. We issued a weather warning earlier with up to 15cm particularly central England... :-/ .

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 07 February 2007, 20:13:17 »

Thanks for the suggestions for places to visit, but the family and I have been to London at least once a year for the past 20 odd years to visit relatives.  We have taken in the places such as Imp war Museum, Tower, V&A, Tussauds, Changing the Guard etc etc.  

Was more looking for the grub angle, to be honest.  Despise paying Big Smoke prices for country tea room fare.

Travelling by train, so car parking not a great problem.  The snow, however, might be.....   :-/  Could well be a good choice, given the weather.  By the time we compared prices, there was not too much in it.  Likewise for time.  Once you add the travel time to the airport, queueing for checkin, getting from the airport to central London etc, then even timewise, the train journey is not so bad.

Looking forward to the shows.  Wife really enjoys the roar of the greasepaint and smell of the crowd (or however the saying goes   ;D  )

cheers!

B

bob.dent

• Omega Lord
  • Hertfordshire
    • Mondeo 2.0TDCI Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 07 February 2007, 23:21:40 »

Definately intrested Bob - not bothered if it costs an arm and a leg ( she's paying)  ;D

What a touch!!

OK, here's details - you won't be disappointed.

Arcadia Restaurant, Kensington Court, 35 Kensington High Street, London W8 5EB.
Tel. 020 7937 4294
Fax 020 7937 4393

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 08 February 2007, 09:49:17 »

What a touch!!

OK, here's details - you won't be disappointed.

Arcadia Restaurant, Kensington Court, 35 Kensington High Street, London W8 5EB.
Tel. 020 7937 4294
Fax 020 7937 4393

cheers Bob !!!  :) :y
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 21 queries.