Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Flash motor I don't think so.  (Read 3748 times)

2boxerdogs

Flash motor I don't think so.
« on: 10 July 2015, 11:12:43 »

Had a discussion at work last night about cars , one of my younger colleagues referred to my 2001 2.6 as a " flashy motor" . Can't see it myself to me a "flashy motor " would be a V8 Merc soft top .Any thoughts from others ?

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
Re: Flash motor I don't think so.
« Reply #1 on: 10 July 2015, 11:28:35 »

Depends of your vocabulary, I suppose.

It may have been meant as a compliment. On the other hand when I use the term I'd use it to mean 'show off' or similar.

Either way it's actually quite nice for the product of an 'ordinary' car manufacturer launched some 21 years since to be referred to in the 21st century as 'flashy'

Personally I find the design of an Omega to be very restrained and classy, and even more so today. Just look at what comes out of a Lexus, BMW or Merc showroom nowadays compared with 1994 to see the massive difference in the 'flashiness' or overall 'bling' kerb-appeal from the luxo-barge manufacturers.
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 July 2015, 11:36:07 »

Had a discussion at work last night about cars , one of my younger colleagues referred to my 2001 2.6 as a " flashy motor" . Can't see it myself to me a "flashy motor " would be a V8 Merc soft top .Any thoughts from others ?

Too much of an 'old mans' car to be considered flashy. Too refined and restrained to be called flashy.

2boxerdogs

« Reply #3 on: 10 July 2015, 12:19:12 »

Too much of an 'old mans' car to be considered flashy. Too refined and restrained to be called flashy.

My thoughts entirely old man's cruiser ( on a budget )

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 July 2015, 13:09:00 »

My thoughts entirely old man's cruiser ( on a budget )

OI! less of the "old" you!  ;D

vauxsull

• Omega Knight
  • Garden City, North Wales
    • 3.0 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10 July 2015, 13:14:05 »

But why are they deemed as an old mans car anyway?. I get the wee wee taken out of me when I pull up in work to the shout's of " taxi".

2boxerdogs

« Reply #6 on: 10 July 2015, 13:33:22 »

But why are they deemed as an old mans car anyway?. I get the wee wee taken out of me when I pull up in work to the shout's of " taxi".
Probably because most younger male drivers go for ,clits, Corsas etc. Majority of Omegas I see appear bog standard, whereas youngsters tend to add "go faster" accessories.  I have always preferred larger cars my first at 17 was a 3.3 litre Vauxhall Velox PB 1964 vintage, & then a variety of Zephyrs Zodiacs Granadas & Mercs through the years .Have had smaller cars but never really enjoyed them.
« Last Edit: 10 July 2015, 13:44:21 by Tilbo »

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10 July 2015, 17:11:41 »

Probably because most younger male drivers go for ,clits, Corsas etc. Majority of Omegas I see appear bog standard, whereas youngsters tend to add "go faster" accessories.  I have always preferred larger cars my first at 17 was a 3.3 litre Vauxhall Velox PB 1964 vintage, & then a variety of Zephyrs Zodiacs Granadas & Mercs through the years .Have had smaller cars but never really enjoyed them.

Was this the same lump that was used in the Ventora?

2boxerdogs

« Reply #8 on: 10 July 2015, 18:23:17 »

Yes same engiņe, mine had the Hydramatic gearbox.

the alarming man

• Omega Baron
  • medway kent
    • disco V8
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10 July 2015, 18:26:04 »

OI!!!!!!!!!!...I am coming back into the fold...because you are old doesn't mean everyone is so less of the 'old ' please lol
'the more people i meet...the more i like the dog'

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10 July 2015, 19:10:27 »

Rumour has it the engine came from a lorry. :-\

2boxerdogs

« Reply #11 on: 10 July 2015, 19:20:25 »

It looked lost in the engine compartment.

Phil L

• Intermediate Member
  • Hitchin
    • 2003 2.6 Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 10 July 2015, 22:43:47 »

Same as the Dodge Viper unless I'm mistaken !
Wishing I'd not sold the 67 Mustang...

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 10 July 2015, 22:48:08 »

Was this not the same engine that was fitted to Bedford 'J' Series, I had an Ambulance version, 50 mph flat out............. ;) ;)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 12 July 2015, 11:33:20 »

Was this not the same engine that was fitted to Bedford 'J' Series, I had an Ambulance version, 50 mph flat out............. ;) ;)

Sounds familiar, Mr Vamps.

The Ventora and Velox, along with the Cresta and Viscount, were certainly not high RPM screamers.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 18 queries.