Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Really like this !!  (Read 4852 times)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: Really like this !!
« Reply #15 on: 10 October 2015, 21:20:24 »

911- 996 could be had for around £8-10k, not a V8 but similar pace.

05omegav6

« Reply #16 on: 10 October 2015, 21:27:45 »

Guessing Tilbo is of retirement age or there abouts... Merc would be a comfortable way to waft around whereas summat more track oriented would probably be quite harsh :-\

2boxerdogs

« Reply #17 on: 10 October 2015, 21:48:20 »

Guessing Tilbo is of retirement age or there abouts... Merc would be a comfortable way to waft around whereas summat more track oriented would probably be quite harsh :-\
.   Yep almost 62 now so something comfortable but with plenty of grunt, & definitely not too low my knees are kaput !!   Monaro could be an option definitely.
« Last Edit: 10 October 2015, 21:50:13 by Tilbo »

05omegav6

« Reply #18 on: 10 October 2015, 21:51:47 »

.   Yep almost 62 now so something comfortable but with plenty of grunt, & definitely not too low my knees are kaput !!   Monaro could be an option definitely.
What do you make of the CLK I mentioned?

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 10 October 2015, 22:00:08 »

... and a brake pump that is known to fail without warning that costs a few grand!  ....

I don't have SBC braking on my Merc. But SBC brakes don't fail without warning. Mercedes in their arrogance designed a 'fly by wire' braking system that had a design life of so many brake pedal presses before the system said ....... ' I need a new pump before this one dies'. And it's 'only' about £1500  ;) ;). I believe Mb have started selling re-furb'd SBC pumps  :-\

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 10 October 2015, 23:00:37 »

CLS 55 AMG  :)

2boxerdogs

« Reply #21 on: 11 October 2015, 01:27:07 »

Also considering a Lexus 450 H , not a sports car I know but has excellent reviews .Going to have a look at them if I do decide on one then I will very regretfully let my 2.6 go  no need for 2 large saloons.

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 11 October 2015, 02:55:18 »

What do you make of the CLK I mentioned?

Don't touch a car from Rich - I know him personally.... I have no issue with anyone telling him I've said so either.  :y
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Merlot Red Stg1 noobtune
2009 Saab 9-5 Turbo Edition Titan Grey Stg3 noobtune
2017 Vauxhall Vivaro L1H1 125PS Star Silver

05omegav6

« Reply #23 on: 11 October 2015, 04:02:35 »

:o Ok... :-\

Steve Brookman

• Blackwood, Gwent
    • Royale/Senator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 11 October 2015, 12:14:10 »

... and a brake pump that is known to fail without warning that costs a few grand!  ....

I don't have SBC braking on my Merc. But SBC brakes don't fail without warning. Mercedes in their arrogance designed a 'fly by wire' braking system that had a design life of so many brake pedal presses before the system said ....... ' I need a new pump before this one dies'. And it's 'only' about £1500  ;) ;). I believe Mb have started selling re-furb'd SBC pumps  :-\

There have been quite a few posts on MB forums where they do apparently fail with very little warning. Here's one:-
"today one of my dad's friends told him his 2004 E240 just had a complete brake failure. Fortunately he was not driving fast and he was able to roll to a stop. He said the warning lights came up suddenly and he lost all braking pressure, he was practically standing on the brakes but there wasn't any braking pressure at all. He sent the car in for repair, the mechanic replaced some 'computer chips' and the car is back to normal. I don't know if the car has undergone all the required recall services, and I don't know the exact repair performed by the mechanic.

The exact same problem has also happened to my dad's other friend's 2003 E320, and my friend's dad's 2002 E320.

From what I have seen and read, there is no hydraulic backup system (Gullwing can correct me if I am wrong), so the brakes become completely unassisted when the electronics goes down, and whatever tiny brake pressure your foot would generate were only applied to the front wheels. "

Steve

Previous
Omega 2.5 GLS Auto Estate         S115 JVV
Omega 3.0 Elite  Auto Estate        T639 TFA

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 11 October 2015, 12:31:57 »

There have been quite a few posts on MB forums where they do apparently fail with very little warning. Here's one:-
"today one of my dad's friends told him his 2004 E240 just had a complete brake failure. Fortunately he was not driving fast and he was able to roll to a stop. He said the warning lights came up suddenly and he lost all braking pressure, he was practically standing on the brakes but there wasn't any braking pressure at all. He sent the car in for repair, the mechanic replaced some 'computer chips' and the car is back to normal. I don't know if the car has undergone all the required recall services, and I don't know the exact repair performed by the mechanic.

The exact same problem has also happened to my dad's other friend's 2003 E320, and my friend's dad's 2002 E320.

From what I have seen and read, there is no hydraulic backup system (Gullwing can correct me if I am wrong), so the brakes become completely unassisted when the electronics goes down, and whatever tiny brake pressure your foot would generate were only applied to the front wheels. "

Steve

The problem is that when the warning comes of impending failure/end of component life the more unscrupulous traders about resort to a cheap gadget from eBay that can reset the internal counter thereby doing away with the warning,after that it's only a matter of time before it all goes tits up.
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

EMD

• Omega Baron
  • Noofhampton
    • 95t
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 11 October 2015, 17:03:12 »

.   Yep almost 62 now so something comfortable but with plenty of grunt, & definitely not too low my knees are kaput !!  Monaro could be an option definitely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzM_4vDGUEA
Omegatitis

2boxerdogs

« Reply #27 on: 12 October 2015, 14:34:48 »

Also considering a Lexus 450 H , not a sports car I know but has excellent reviews .Going to have a look at them if I do decide on one then I will very regretfully let my 2.6 go  no need for 2 large saloons.
.   Well had a test drive in the Lexus GS 450 H , not for me I'm afraid well put together & every toy you could think of, if you cover a lot of town mileage probably ok but this hybrid 3.5 V6  doesn't do it for me.But at least I now know I can get round SWMBO  😀 😁 😂

ted_one

« Reply #28 on: 12 October 2015, 15:44:31 »

I had a similar conversation at the meet on Saturday,when I was talking about my dads Jag XF diseasle,cost him a shed load of dosh,and recently he had a problem with the DPF .....problem solved at just under £1100.  This is one of the problems with prestige cars,all good whilst they are running properly,and then you break something, and that's when the bank balance goes out the window putting the car right. Certainly a factor that has to be taken into consideration when taking on a second hand high end model. :-\

2boxerdogs

« Reply #29 on: 17 October 2015, 19:13:55 »

I am going to look at a one owner E430 on a V reg on Thursday  it has full MB history and has covered 30,000 miles only, I know the pitfalls of Merc ownership but I have to see this one in the"flesh" The pics of it are amazing & it has every option fitted ,I am like a kid waiting for Christmas !!  V8 ownership could be close.
« Last Edit: 17 October 2015, 19:16:04 by Tilbo »
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 18 queries.