Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... 78   Go Down

Author Topic: Corona virus Europe  (Read 128229 times)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
Re: Corona virus Europe
« Reply #225 on: 10 March 2020, 14:55:09 »

Im not at all worried about it myself, but I am a bit concerned for my daughter. She lives and works in central London and has been an asthmatic all her life. Ive given her all the warnings and advice I would completely ignore myself.

Too true :y

I have three in my family who are considered very vulnerable to such health issues, then there is me at my age with my own health issues, but that just is life or death we live with. Yes it concerns me about those vulnerable relatives, but panicking or greatly worrying yourself half to death over a rather mild threat to all on Earth, compared to many other risks we have, and will always face to human life, will change nothing and does not alter the basic fact we WILL ALL die in due course. Black Death, The Great Plague, WW1, Spanish Flue, WW2 has killed millions, and millions more will die as intended in our tightrope existence as human beings.

That is a fact; the date and time of our demise is already written, as many who survive war, as I have the pleasure to have met in my life, get to believe when everyone around them gets killed, but fantastically they escape the reaper.  With my belief in God I let my faith give me reassurance about what may or may not happen tomorrow; what will be will be; I cannot change that. It may cause great grief, especially when the young die, as is happening everyday, and especially in war torn regions like Syria. A mild virus is the last of their worries!  If someone has a different faith and belief, I am sure they will still come to the conclusion that what will be will be, and death is guaranteed at some stage!

I agree that I have become amused, bewildered, and in a way angry as to how fellow Brits have forgotten our traditional traits and failed to support the World War stoicism displayed by my grand parents and parents, with Keep Calm and Carry On the national message whilst Digging for Victory etc. My forebears and many others would be most bemused over the panic buying of toilet rolls!

Statistics will be published, predictions made, doom and gloom preached by some, and the media will continue to fuel the panic, but one thing for sure you and I can do SFA about it! ;)

STEMO

« Reply #226 on: 10 March 2020, 15:11:47 »

https://twitter.com/jasonvanschoor/status/1237142891077697538?s=19

I'm honestly getting a little tired of the constant stream (here and elsewhere) of WE ARE ALL DOOMED TO DIE - if we are all that doomed, might as well just hang ourselves now and save the NHS the trouble of having us coughing up blood on a hallway floor, right?

Or, I guess, Al's suggestion. I quite like beans on toast. Going to have to buy a lot of bread, though, and freeze it.. which is exactly what one lady was doing in Morrisons last night - she had a trolley full of bread..

Outside of the mainstream media histeria bubble I think anybody is anymore than concerned. 80% of confirmed cases are mild, 15% severe & 5% critical. 50% of the critical ones die. The Chinese statistics are in the article below:

https://theanaesthesia.blog/2020/03/09/the-uk-covid-19-epidemic-time-to-plan-and-time-to-act/#comments

What is clear is that Italian hospitals have been overwhelmed & they have double the number of critical care ICU beds compared to the UK where we have the lowest in Europe. In Italy if you have any of the chronic conditions on the list, you will not get any ICU, the same will apply in the UK in 7-21 days when cases are 10,000+. :o :(

All countries have made the same mistake as China in not clamping down fast enough so R0 > 1 & it will keep spreading until isolation makes R0 < 1, like is now occurring in China.

Statistics are just numbers until it is you, family or friends dying & at that point the statistics become very personal. Again looking a China mass isolation to the epidemic under control takes about 3 months. So we will hopefully be over the worst by July-August time.

What nobody is discussing is the economic impact as that will affect everybody in the world, where it is going to cause a global recession. As an example Chinese y-o-y industrial output is 17.2% down in 3 months where the UK in 2008 had an 8% drop in GDP over 12 months. So expect this to be worse than then. Europe & the Eurozone is in a particularly bad place here as the article below explains & traitors May & Hammond have committed the UK to up to about £1tn of potential EU liabilities, which won't be paid back in our lifetimes even with much higher taxes:

https://gnseconomics.com/en_US/2020/02/10/the-stages-of-the-collapse/
I'm going to remember that.
And, if it turns out to be right, I'm going to re-quote and alter it  ;D

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: 10 March 2020, 15:28:28 »

I'm honestly getting a little tired of the constant stream (here and elsewhere) of WE ARE ALL DOOMED TO DIE - if we are all that doomed, might as well just hang ourselves now and save the NHS the trouble of having us coughing up blood on a hallway floor, right?

Or, I guess, Al's suggestion. I quite like beans on toast. Going to have to buy a lot of bread, though, and freeze it.. which is exactly what one lady was doing in Morrisons last night - she had a trolley full of bread..

Outside of the mainstream media histeria bubble I think anybody is anymore than concerned. 80% of confirmed cases are mild, 15% severe & 5% critical. 50% of the critical ones die. The Chinese statistics are in the article below:

https://theanaesthesia.blog/2020/03/09/the-uk-covid-19-epidemic-time-to-plan-and-time-to-act/#comments

What is clear is that Italian hospitals have been overwhelmed & they have double the number of critical care ICU beds compared to the UK where we have the lowest in Europe. In Italy if you have any of the chronic conditions on the list, you will not get any ICU, the same will apply in the UK in 7-21 days when cases are 10,000+. :o :(

All countries have made the same mistake as China in not clamping down fast enough so R0 > 1 & it will keep spreading until isolation makes R0 < 1, like is now occurring in China.

Statistics are just numbers until it is you, family or friends dying & at that point the statistics become very personal. Again looking a China mass isolation to the epidemic under control takes about 3 months. So we will hopefully be over the worst by July-August time.

What nobody is discussing is the economic impact as that will affect everybody in the world, where it is going to cause a global recession. As an example Chinese y-o-y industrial output is 17.2% down in 3 months where the UK in 2008 had an 8% drop in GDP over 12 months. So expect this to be worse than then. Europe & the Eurozone is in a particularly bad place here as the article below explains & traitors May & Hammond have committed the UK to up to about £1tn of potential EU liabilities, which won't be paid back in our lifetimes even with much higher taxes:

If you're still here!  :P  ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: 10 March 2020, 15:30:17 »

22/02/2020 Italy had 152 cases, today they are at currently at 9,172 confirmed cases.
29/02/2020 UK had 20 cases, today we are currently at 321 confirmed cases.

The numbers are doubling in the UK every 2-3 days!
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

STEMO

« Reply #229 on: 10 March 2020, 15:40:12 »

If you're still here!  :P  ;D
Hmmmm.......never thought of that  ;D

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: 10 March 2020, 15:50:30 »

For an anti panic view on the economic reality,

Listen to this...

https://www.daveramsey.com/show/archives/2020-03-09?mode=listen :y
Onanists always think outside the box.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: 10 March 2020, 16:31:13 »

It's bizarre though that last month people coming back from locked down Wuhan were taken straight to quarantine, yet in the last few days they've allowed people to fly in from Milan and disperse into the community.  Taxis, trains, buses....  ::)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: 10 March 2020, 17:05:19 »

Old people will catch it anyway, because their hobbies include going to the doctors to fill up all the pre-work, lunchtime, and post work appointments, leaving the daytime ones available for those who work.

And doctors are full of sick people, so they will have caught something already to lower their immune system.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: 10 March 2020, 17:06:53 »

It's bizarre though that last month people coming back from locked down Wuhan were taken straight to quarantine, yet in the last few days they've allowed people to fly in from Milan and disperse into the community.  Taxis, trains, buses....  ::)
The genie is out, and cant be contained. So why piss off your populous, who would ignore it anyway, as the Brits are an arrogant bunch or A-Holes.
Grumpy old man

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: 10 March 2020, 18:24:10 »

This is what happens when it gets out of control, so the health system is overwhelmed & you don't have anywhere near enough ICUs:

Italy have gone from 152 confirmed cases on 22/02/2020 t0 10,149 confirmed cases today, 724 have recovered & 631 have died:

631/10,149 = 6.22% mortality rate.
631 / (631 + 724) = 46.57% mortality rate for those that recovered or died!

This is the UK in 14-21 days where the Tories have put minimising economic damage over citizen safety & minimising the loss of life. >:( >:( >:(
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: 10 March 2020, 18:40:23 »

After our recent experience of hospitals which I won't go into in detail ,anybody who is unfortunate to contract this virus & has serious underlying conditions hasn't got a hope in hell in my opinion.😠
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: 10 March 2020, 18:43:08 »

Just got back from the supermarket.

Picked up a basket and wondered how many people had used it today.  :-\

Bought a bag of King Edwards, did the usual of sift through them to find the best looking bag and then reflected after that everyone does that, so those bags have been handled by loads of people.  ::)  Did the same with cabbages...  ::)

Used the self checkout.  How many people had touched the touch screen?  :-\

I think that the only way to be properly safe is to become a hermit for the duration and live off your armageddon stash.  :y

I'll be OK, I've had loads of nasty diseases and survived!  ;D

EDIT: I came in and wash my hands.  :y  Then packed away my shopping.....  ::)                                               Doh!     ;D
« Last Edit: 10 March 2020, 18:51:21 by Sir Tigger QC »

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: 10 March 2020, 18:56:47 »

Im not at all worried about it myself, but I am a bit concerned for my daughter. She lives and works in central London and has been an asthmatic all her life. Ive given her all the warnings and advice I would completely ignore myself.
spot on
most people will be fine if they do catch it (other than the financial implications of time off)
but the more that catch it ,the more chance vulnerable people who come into contact with them are likely to catch it

hence trying to limit the spread is vital
but the horse has left the building  :'(

time to isolate the old and people with breathing problems etc
care home that my daughter works at have shut the doors to visitors  :y

She is normally gung ho to the point it terrifies me, but she is actually being sensible about this. She is considered critical staff so has had a couple of days working from home to see how it goes. Now, she and her two colleagues have to work in different parts of the building so they don't all go down with it together. Her boss said ",don't worry, we will let you know you if you need to do anything." Her reply - "No my doctor will advise me if I need to do anything, and then I will let you know".
Cheeky wee shite, but I don't blame her.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: 10 March 2020, 19:51:50 »

I see tonight that AO.com  have said that freezer sales have shot up. That lady has to have somewhere to store all her loaves. :D

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • Mv6 3.2 Mitsi Evo2. XJ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: 10 March 2020, 20:47:46 »

Black pudding?
Laying a rubber road.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... 78   Go Up

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 18 queries.