Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... 78   Go Down

Author Topic: Corona virus Europe  (Read 129090 times)

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
Re: Corona virus Europe
« Reply #360 on: 13 March 2020, 18:31:18 »

3 months ago coronavirus didn't exist ,other than in some lab being engineered
look what has happened in 3 months  :o
all well and good saying just let it spread and we'll build up immunity
the wider it spreads,the more chance it has to mix with things and mutate into god knows what
autopsies showing that it covers the lungs in a layer that could stay with you for life ,or get worse and end your life .
no one knows what will happen long term because it's too new

so maybe it's a bit more serious than a common cold  ::)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: 13 March 2020, 18:35:07 »

FFS, in that case we may as well all just hang ourselves now and call it done >:(

Enough of this shit already.
Onanists always think outside the box.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: 13 March 2020, 18:38:06 »

If they shut the pubs in Ireland then we will know things are really serious.
Bahrain and Vietnamese GP,s are now also postponed.
Daughter told work today she is working from home from Monday. Serious asthma problem has made her decide it isn't worth taking the risk. Particularly as she went back to work the day after an op on her shoulder a few months ago and the only reaction was " you don't seem very happy at the moment, cheer up for gods sake".
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

STEMO

« Reply #363 on: 13 March 2020, 18:50:08 »

To Rods, I would politely suggest keeping his fag packet man maths to himself.

We're potentially all going to catch it eventually. However we aren't all going to die from it, not even close.

The Chinese live under martial law with a thinly veiled illusion of civility, so 'locking down' entire cities was actually pretty easy.

The shutting down Italy is a headline approach, but won't be sustainable once those enforcing the lock down start getting infected. Then what happens? ::)

The first failing was letting anyone travel out of China. However the Genie is out of the bottle. As I said earlier. Let us compare notes in three months time.

Closing borders may be an effect measure in controlling spread, but otherwise there is little reason to not to keep calm and carry on, however clichéd that is.

If we're lucky most of us won't be laid off, but the way the media is spreading panic and fear, we will be lucky to see the end of March >:(
Varche says

My circumstances are pretty complicated. Ideally I would be back in Spain but we both need to leave our home for at least 5 weeks during the coming olive pollen season.  It isnt a choice but an imperative. Our plan had been to visit relatives in the UK.

A further spanner is I have two relatives seriously ill here in Yorkshire. Dont know what the answer is. Maybe there isn't one. Maybe mrs V needs to drive herself and dog over.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: 13 March 2020, 18:53:38 »

FFS, in that case we may as well all just hang ourselves now and call it done >:(

i admire your optimism DG  ;D :D

Daughter told work today she is working from home from Monday. Serious asthma problem has made her decide it isn't worth taking the risk. ..
i completely agree with her
time to do all we can to protect the vulnerable after the UK's piss poor handling of it all
it's a financial nightmare BUT what price do you put on the lives of families and loved ones

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: 13 March 2020, 19:32:18 »

Daughter told work today she is working from home from Monday. Serious asthma problem has made her decide it isn't worth taking the risk. ..
time to do all we can to protect the vulnerable after the UK's piss poor handling of it all
it's a financial nightmare BUT what price do you put on the lives of families and loved ones

Why does everyone demand that "government" or "someone" does something .. has everyone forgotton how to think for themselves???

If you are unhappy that a match/show/concert/gathering has not been cancelled .. then don't go to the match/show/concert/gathering..... if you don't want to mix in a coffeebar or pub .. don't go to the coffeebar or the pub .. or the shops.... or anywhere ... that way you "might" delay your exposure to the bug ....

If you have elderly, poorly folk in care homes or their own homes, and you feel rough .. don't visit ... you shouldn't need telling .. it's "common sense" .. if you had measles you wouldn't visit ..... would you ???

I know we joke about the demise of "common sense" but it would appear to have completely left the planet now ....

why do you need "telling" by things being "banned" ????

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: 13 March 2020, 19:49:44 »

it should have been stopped with travel bans, isolation, testing, quarantine before it got out of hand .
no one knows the long term impact
i'm doing what i can to protect my family  :y
not helped by the lax attitude many have about it all
"keep calm and carry on" spreading it all over the place  ::)
the government and authorities should have handled things better
they "wash their hands " of the impact letting it spread will have

STEMO

« Reply #367 on: 13 March 2020, 19:54:43 »

Just been listening to Frankie.
"If your grandmother or any other member of the family should die.........."  ::)

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: 13 March 2020, 20:01:12 »

Why does everyone demand that "government" or "someone" does something .. has everyone forgotton how to think for themselves???

If you are unhappy that a match/show/concert/gathering has not been cancelled .. then don't go to the match/show/concert/gathering..... if you don't want to mix in a coffeebar or pub .. don't go to the coffeebar or the pub .. or the shops.... or anywhere ... that way you "might" delay your exposure to the bug ....

If you have elderly, poorly folk in care homes or their own homes, and you feel rough .. don't visit ... you shouldn't need telling .. it's "common sense" .. if you had measles you wouldn't visit ..... would you ???

I know we joke about the demise of "common sense" but it would appear to have completely left the planet now ....

why do you need "telling" by things being "banned" ????

Absolutely spot on common sense that's all it takes, we have tickets for the theatre on the 19th of March & on the 21st tickets for a live music/band , will we be going definitely not why put yourself at risk needlessly ,we realise we could still get the virus but just got to lessen the odds.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

STEMO

« Reply #369 on: 13 March 2020, 20:04:54 »

Unfortunately for us, Mrs has to go to school and son has to go to uni. Seems a tad pointless me avoiding going out because, if it's going to land up here, it won't be me that brings it home.

It'll probably just be me that pegs it.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: 13 March 2020, 20:07:16 »

Just been listening to Frankie.
"If your grandmother or any other member of the family should die.........."  ::)
Frankie  :-\    goes to Hollywood ?
will Trump let him  ;D

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: 13 March 2020, 21:07:57 »

it should have been stopped with travel bans, isolation, testing, quarantine before it got out of hand .

I'm afraid that's the flaw in your argument. Once it becomes established in one area (China/Wuhan in this case) it is impossible - absolutely impossible - to stop it spreading world wide. All you can do is slow the rate of spread - you cannot stop it.

The World Health Organisation estimate that reducing air travel by 99.9% would slow the spread of the virus by 2 months.
Similarly reducing air travel by 90% would slow the spread of the virus by 2 weeks.

Personally I think this is going to go on for 6 months or so. All the Govt can hope to do is try to control the rate at which it spreads and hope they can prevent the NHS from collapsing under the load. If everyone caught it on day 1, then by day 7 we'd have 65 million people ill, and if just 5% of those need hospital care we'd be stuffed.

The point appears to be to 'allow' the public to catch the virus at a controlled rate. 95% of people will recover in 2 weeks without NHS involvement.  Once enough people have recovered the hope is that those people can't catch it again, and therefore can't spread it to others.

STEMO

« Reply #372 on: 13 March 2020, 21:12:05 »

I'm afraid that's the flaw in your argument. Once it becomes established in one area (China/Wuhan in this case) it is impossible - absolutely impossible - to stop it spreading world wide. All you can do is slow the rate of spread - you cannot stop it.

The World Health Organisation estimate that reducing air travel by 99.9% would slow the spread of the virus by 2 months.
Similarly reducing air travel by 90% would slow the spread of the virus by 2 weeks.

Personally I think this is going to go on for 6 months or so. All the Govt can hope to do is try to control the rate at which it spreads and hope they can prevent the NHS from collapsing under the load. If everyone caught it on day 1, then by day 7 we'd have 65 million people ill, and if just 5% of those need hospital care we'd be stuffed.

The point appears to be to 'allow' the public to catch the virus at a controlled rate. 95% of people will recover in 2 weeks without NHS involvement.  Once enough people have recovered the hope is that those people can't catch it again, and therefore can't spread it to others.
The takeaways I got from that were: Estimate, think, hope, hope, hope again.
Gulp.  :o

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: 13 March 2020, 21:27:51 »

The takeaways I got from that were: Estimate, think, hope, hope, hope again.
Gulp.  :o

Yup. Another problem is that health workers will typically get exposed to very high doses of the virus on day one - from the first patient they come across who has been incubating the germ for 5+ days. That patients immune system will have been fighting the infection for 5 days, so antibodies will be building and they stand a good chance of surviving.

The health worker on the other hand gets a day 5 level dose of germs but has day zero antibodies, and therefore they become very sick very quickly. If their immune system can't catch up the 5 days of fighting the infection, then you end up with doctors and nurses dying - just when you need them the most. That's why the govt don't want thousands of people who will recover on their own turing up at A&E or their local GP.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: 13 March 2020, 21:40:39 »

Channel 4 News are doing a Corona Virus special which has a slightly hysterical tone, and all the talking heads I've seen so far are saying things like the government should be doing this, the government should be doing that, there's not enough equipment, 10 years of austerity etc etc.  ::)

Leftie tossers!  >:(                                                                  ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... 78   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 18 queries.