Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 ... 78   Go Down

Author Topic: Corona virus Europe  (Read 129124 times)

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
Re: Corona virus Europe
« Reply #615 on: 20 March 2020, 19:35:17 »

Well, that's that - pubs, restaurants, gyms etc etc all ordered to shut as of tonight.

But the govt is going to print money to pay everyone 80% of their salary if they have to stop working, so there's that..
not everyone
but yep. the shelves in Bargain Booze will be stripped bare
i wonder if they will set aside the first hour of opening each day for the old tramps to buy their special brew  :-\
Define 'not everyone'...
OK, slightly wrong ,
lots of people won't get big piles of cash ,some people will have to carry on doing some work with hardly any income and fit everything else going on around it , some people will be very happy about free cash and time off .

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: 20 March 2020, 20:23:57 »

AIUI, 80% of wages upto a cap of £2,500 per month per employee for every business directly closed as a result of bat flu/ bat flu prevention.

The bailout of Norwegian Air Services should help sustain my employer, which in turn should secure my position (I am one of fourteen employees, eight of whom work on Norwegian aircraft, and the second most recent to join... last in first out being standard practice), so both of these things are reassuring :y

If they do end up going down the road of an universal basic salary, then best thing to do would be to save as much of it as possible in order to provide an individual safety net for the future rather than relying on anyone else/credit cards. Also if anyone receives this universal pay who really doesn't need it, then it would be between them and their conscience to redistribute their payment to a more needy cause.

If there is one positive outcome to this exceptional situation, it should be that people and businesses change the way they manage their finances. If you have a dedicated savings pot, then situations like this become minor inconveniences rather than devastating.
Onanists always think outside the box.

STEMO

« Reply #617 on: 20 March 2020, 20:30:48 »

AIUI, 80% of wages upto a cap of £2,500 per month per employee for every business directly closed as a result of bat flu/ bat flu prevention.

The bailout of Norwegian Air Services should help sustain my employer, which in turn should secure my position (I am one of fourteen employees, eight of whom work on Norwegian aircraft, and the second most recent to join... last in first out being standard practice), so both of these things are reassuring :y

If they do end up going down the road of an universal basic salary, then best thing to do would be to save as much of it as possible in order to provide an individual safety net for the future rather than relying on anyone else/credit cards. Also if anyone receives this universal pay who really doesn't need it, then it would be between them and their conscience to redistribute their payment to a more needy cause.

If there is one positive outcome to this exceptional situation, it should be that people and businesses change the way they manage their finances. If you have a dedicated savings pot, then situations like this become minor inconveniences rather than devastating.
The money for wages, or 80% of wages, is given, by HMRC, to employers. They then pass it on to their employees. No one will receive it directly.

STEMO

« Reply #618 on: 20 March 2020, 20:34:49 »

Having said that: If a pub, club, restaurant, whatever closes, it's not just wages it will still have to pay. There's the utility bills, rent etc. So many (ex) employees may find themselves on benefits despite the government help.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: 20 March 2020, 20:41:29 »

Glad you have hope in saving your JOB DG  :)
if you had to go back to taxis or do lorry driving ,i fear it would be short term work  :-\

I am already drawing on my savings , not worried as long as this Virus problem goes away this year
i am concerned about family members etc and the long term fall out of this "mild flu"  :(

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: 20 March 2020, 20:50:27 »

Having said that: If a pub, club, restaurant, whatever closes, it's not just wages it will still have to pay. There's the utility bills, rent etc. So many (ex) employees may find themselves on benefits despite the government help.

and how many companies will get the money and take ages to pay the staff who need it now
how many people will have the rent money but NOT pay their landlords (already happens a lot pre covid 19)
etc etc
unfortunately ,because it's so rushed (and i'm not knocking that it has been put in place quickly)....
 lots of people will abuse the payments etc
maybe a few new  jobs could be created in fraud prevention ,enforcement etc 

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: 20 March 2020, 20:53:08 »

The snowball effect of this virus affects so many peoples livelihoods , I know money has been promised and as we all know talk is cheap I  just hope that those that are in need get help swiftly .
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: 20 March 2020, 21:15:02 »

Had a really long post written up...

Then the internet shat itself ::)

Basically, diversify or mothball.  Without wages to worry about, a business should be able to keep the lights on for 3-6 months . A really well run business shouldn't even notice being closed until next April as the coming financial year should already be budgeted.

As for that hairdresser whining on C4 news, take a moment and use a bit of imagination... if your business is appointment based, work through your client list and offer home visits... absolutely nowt to stop you cutting hair under a gazebo on someone's front porch whilst wearing a mask ;)

Also an 80% pay packet will look a lot like 95%-100% because you're not commuting. Key workers will be getting full wages as well, and if they do issue universal basic pay, then this will supplement the 80% for those stuck at home, whilst being a bonus for those still working ;)

STEMO

« Reply #623 on: 20 March 2020, 21:25:59 »

Basically, diversify or mothball.  Without wages to worry about, a business should be able to keep the lights on for 3-6 months . A really well run business shouldn't even notice being closed until next April as the coming financial year should already be budgeted.

As for that hairdresser whining on C4 news, take a moment and use a bit of imagination... if your business is appointment based, work through your client list and offer home visits... absolutely nowt to stop you cutting hair under a gazebo on someone's front porch whilst wearing a mask ;)

Also an 80% pay packet will look a lot like 95%-100% because you're not commuting. Key workers will be getting full wages as well, and if they do issue universal basic pay, then this will supplement the 80% for those stuck at home, whilst being a bonus for those still working ;)
Where are you getting this 'universal basic pay' from  ???

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: 20 March 2020, 21:26:17 »

I just just that good people that need it get money to live
I'm not good with politics or numbers ,my bro does all that 
i'm just a thick hairy arse builder as Opti would say  ;D

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: 20 March 2020, 21:34:05 »

Universal basic pay is a notion being discussed as a way of providing cash to people to help maintain some level of economic spending whilst they are unable to be at work.

It has been used in Finland, but is an untested concept. Today's announcement regarding wage support to allow businesses to retain employees through any shutdowns stops short of paying everyone, but it is being discussed as a next step ;)

STEMO

« Reply #626 on: 20 March 2020, 21:40:25 »

Universal basic pay is a notion being discussed as a way of providing cash to people to help maintain some level of economic spending whilst they are unable to be at work.

It has been used in Finland, but is an untested concept. Today's announcement regarding wage support to allow businesses to retain employees through any shutdowns stops short of paying everyone, but it is being discussed as a next step ;)
Errrrr....why would anyone work?

STEMO

« Reply #627 on: 20 March 2020, 21:41:50 »

And what would you spend it on?  ;D

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: 20 March 2020, 21:47:00 »

You wouldn't work, because you're stuck at home with a dose of bat flu and banned from going out.

I would save it and replace my dead Merc with a working one, and if this nonsense carries on for months and months, I will save up for a really nice holiday :D

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 ... 78   Go Up

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 18 queries.