Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Idler Torque Value  (Read 2433 times)

Matchless

• Omega Knight
  • Nottingham
    • A white van
    • View Profile
Re: Idler Torque Value
« Reply #15 on: 16 November 2006, 12:05:20 »

I guess  "Vauxhall Technial Advice "  have got it wrong eh? Don't say much for the rest of their cars ,does it? Let me know where you get your advice from, and I'll keep you in mind .

Same source. What usually happens is that you ask a question and they jump on the first bit of info that matches the question, in this case the steering idler fixing values are in one place in the torque tables and the values for the connections to the tie rod etc are further down the list.
If you had asked them "is that for the bolts fixing it to the chassis or for the attachment to the tie rod" it makes them stop and think. Same applies at the parts counter. It has to be said that the info isnt presented in the most user - friendly form which makes their job harder but then you would expect them to be used to it and double check themselves.

Nobby

« Reply #16 on: 16 November 2006, 12:52:54 »

How I found out was to ask a workshop foreman whom I know to be very conscientious, ( old school ) with a  lot of experience . He didn't know at the time so he checked on the  Omega workshop manual (updated), and rang me back, and read it out to me. The two bolts holding the idler to the chassi are as you say 60Nn ie 44lb ft, so is the centre tie rod connection. The nut I'm talking about connects the two parts of the idler together ie the chassi mounting part and the part that joins to the centre bar.    (So the nut that connects the two parts together) has a torque value of 41 lb ft, wait awhile ( giving the bush inside time to settle ) then turn the nut 75 deg: wait again,  then turn 15 deg:

Matchless

• Omega Knight
  • Nottingham
    • A white van
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 16 November 2006, 19:21:33 »

Thats newer info than I have then so I stand corrected.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 21 queries.