Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: How long does car battery last when standing?  (Read 3945 times)

theolodian

• Omega Baron
  • Warwickshire
  • I need a new avatar.
    • View Profile
How long does car battery last when standing?
« on: 06 December 2006, 12:08:25 »

I am going back to the states for Xmas for 3-4 weeks.  I am worried about the battery going flat while I am away.  Normally, this isn't the end of the world, but the lock doesn't work in the driver's door so if the battery dies I have to break into the car.  >:(
Trains may have been invented here, but public transport is a foreign concept!

STMO123

Re: How long does car battery last when standing?
« Reply #1 on: 06 December 2006, 12:13:46 »

A fully charged battery, in good condition, should last a lot longer than four weeks :y

theolodian

• Omega Baron
  • Warwickshire
  • I need a new avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 December 2006, 12:25:42 »

Yeah, I know it should in other cars.  Bit worried about the Omega, wasn't expecting it to go flat on me when I did the crank sensor.  Was cranking fine, left it for a week, ran the hazards for 2 hrs, and it was flat?!

STMO123

« Reply #3 on: 06 December 2006, 12:31:54 »

Modern batteries have this trait. They dont "run down" gradually like batteries used to. You get everything one minute and the next, as you discovered, nothing. Modern cars need a hell of a lot more zap to fire up and batteries are designed to give a full output right up until they are exhausted.

Give it a charge and it will be OK, provided, as I said earlier, that the battery is in good condition to start with.

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 December 2006, 12:47:17 »

I am going back to the states for Xmas for 3-4 weeks.  I am worried about the battery going flat while I am away.  Normally, this isn't the end of the world, but the lock doesn't work in the driver's door so if the battery dies I have to break into the car.  >:(

Not quite sure why you would have to break in would you not be able to open the boot and climb through if the battery was to die.

If the drivers door does actually unlock and open I have seen it mentioned you can turn the lock with a little bit of force even if its been deadlocked.
« Last Edit: 06 December 2006, 12:48:51 by nixoro »

theolodian

• Omega Baron
  • Warwickshire
  • I need a new avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06 December 2006, 12:50:22 »

Not quite sure why you would have to break in would you not be able to open the boot and climb through if the battery was to die.
Yeah, thought of leaving the seat back unlatched.  Still counts as breaking in in my book, with my back.  ;) Visions of my old Rover 214 where I had to climb in from the passenger side.  ::) :)

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06 December 2006, 12:54:46 »

Not the ideal, but I know someone who used to disconnect the car battery if he was leaving it for a long period, mainly as it aided in his car not being stolen maybe abit extreme in your case.
« Last Edit: 06 December 2006, 12:56:44 by nixoro »

theolodian

• Omega Baron
  • Warwickshire
  • I need a new avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 06 December 2006, 12:56:50 »

Not the ideal, but I know someone who used to disconnect the car battery if he was leaving it for a long period, mainly as it aided in his car not being stolen maybe abit extreme for your purpose though.

Then I definitely won't be able to get in!  I was toying with the idea of unplugging the crank sensor . . .

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 06 December 2006, 13:01:27 »

Not the ideal, but I know someone who used to disconnect the car battery if he was leaving it for a long period, mainly as it aided in his car not being stolen maybe abit extreme for your purpose though.

Then I definitely won't be able to get in!  I was toying with the idea of unplugging the crank sensor . . .

Good Idea with the sensor :y

Surely you would still be able to get in via either the drivers door lock or boot still

Still as others have said if your battery is well charged it should last by rights meaning the above is Unnecessary, it was purely a suggestion :)

theolodian

• Omega Baron
  • Warwickshire
  • I need a new avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 06 December 2006, 13:05:42 »

The problem is that the door lock is stuck, so the only way to unlock is with the remote.  I think that I will leave the seat back unlatched as a backup so that I don't have to break anything.

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 06 December 2006, 13:50:33 »

The problem is that the door lock is stuck, so the only way to unlock is with the remote.  I think that I will leave the seat back unlatched as a backup so that I don't have to break anything.

Could you not connect a battery charger to the car (not switched on) then if when you come back, if the battery was flat, you could just switch it on?
I like red cars

Bo Bo

• Omega Baron
  • Coventry
  • Here's another nice mess you've gotten me into!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 06 December 2006, 13:57:17 »

You could leave it with me & I'll give it a good thrape every few days  :o
Where would we be without rhetorical questions?!

theolodian

• Omega Baron
  • Warwickshire
  • I need a new avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 06 December 2006, 13:57:46 »

Could you not connect a battery charger to the car (not switched on) then if when you come back, if the battery was flat, you could just switch it on?
Some of us don't have silicon wafer labs cum garages AA!  It sleeps on the street, sometimes the next street over due to lack of parking.

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 06 December 2006, 13:59:38 »

Some of us don't have silicon wafer labs cum garages AA!  It sleeps on the street, sometimes the next street over due to lack of parking.

Sorry, it was just a thought.
I like red cars

theolodian

• Omega Baron
  • Warwickshire
  • I need a new avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 06 December 2006, 14:03:42 »

Sorry, it was just a thought.
You should know by now that I'm just giving you sh!t  ;) ;D

I have thought of dropping a charging jack of some sort down below the battery behind the front bumper so that I can juice it up without unlocking it.  I don't think any light sockets will work unless you leave the relevant switch on.  Although that does bring up the point of gaining access through the trunk and pumping some juice in somewhere.

Thanks for the idea!  :y
« Last Edit: 06 December 2006, 14:04:46 by theolodian »
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 21 queries.