Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 3l V6 coffee table  (Read 5647 times)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: 3l V6 coffee table
« Reply #15 on: 21 March 2017, 16:27:30 »

A 4 pot astra 1.4  engine block could be yours for only £99.99p. Doubt you get a bottle of wine in one of the cylinders though, perhaps a can of coke?
If you take it out of the can ::)
Onanists always think outside the box.

STEMO

« Reply #16 on: 21 March 2017, 16:35:00 »

A 4 pot astra 1.4  engine block could be yours for only £99.99p. Doubt you get a bottle of wine in one of the cylinders though, perhaps a can of coke?
If you take it out of the can ::)
If you take it out of the can it's not a can of coke.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 21 March 2017, 17:08:36 »

You'll get over it :D
Onanists always think outside the box.

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 21 March 2017, 20:22:22 »

So got the block from my mums to the garage. Tomorrow night I'll be staying after work to wire wheel the living shite out of it. I have a few ideas I want to run past you gays I mean guys....

So firstly I had the idea of getting it sandblasted but that's going to cost £150. I want this to be proper budget as at the mo I have no funds lol

So. Going to wire wheel it all over. Then engine degrease it. Then clean. Then paint with rattle cans.

Firstly I have some rust remover in a bottle (hammerite maybe?  :-\). Is this a good idea. I really would like to get right of as much shite as possible as I don't want rust to come back as it's going to go in the living room.

Secondly. I'm using four of the pistons as the base for the glass. Is the block steel and the con rods? If so I can't really be bothered to drill holes, tap them etc (mainly cos I don't have a decent drill or bits) so would mig welding it be an option?

Lastly should I paint it with primer, then paint then lacquer like body work?
RIP Paul Lovejoy

STEMO

« Reply #19 on: 21 March 2017, 20:26:06 »

Surely a chemical clean or even a steam clean would be better than a wire wheel to start with?

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 21 March 2017, 20:27:38 »

So got the block from my mums to the garage. Tomorrow night I'll be staying after work to wire wheel the living shite out of it. I have a few ideas I want to run past you gays I mean guys....

So firstly I had the idea of getting it sandblasted but that's going to cost £150. I want this to be proper budget as at the mo I have no funds lol

So. Going to wire wheel it all over. Then engine degrease it. Then clean. Then paint with rattle cans.

Firstly I have some rust remover in a bottle (hammerite maybe?  :-\). Is this a good idea. I really would like to get right of as much shite as possible as I don't want rust to come back as it's going to go in the living room.

Secondly. I'm using four of the pistons as the base for the glass. Is the block steel and the con rods? If so I can't really be bothered to drill holes, tap them etc (mainly cos I don't have a decent drill or bits) so would mig welding it be an option?

Pistons will be aluminium alloy. Block I suspect is cast iron. Rods likely to be ferrous, but could either be cast or forged. How good are you at welding aluminium to iron?

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 21 March 2017, 20:36:03 »

Pistons will be aluminium alloy. Block I suspect is cast iron. Rods likely to be ferrous, but could either be cast or forged. How good are you at welding aluminium to iron?

Nah I ain't got the set up for that nor the knowledge/ skill. Wondering about chemical metal
RIP Paul Lovejoy

STEMO

« Reply #22 on: 21 March 2017, 20:51:30 »

Don't rush it, Steve, have an ask round and see if there's anywhere it could be dipped.

EDIT: Just thought...imagine it chromed....niiiiiice.

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 21 March 2017, 20:53:03 »

Don't rush it, Steve, have an ask round and see if there's anywhere it could be dipped.

Cheers stemo. I would like to get it looking awesome as opposed to something I'd look at and find flaw with.

Is this a chemical dip to strip it of crud?  :-\
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 21 March 2017, 20:53:53 »

Nah I ain't got the set up for that nor the knowledge/ skill. Wondering about chemical metal
Where will you put the pistons?

Have you considered screwing 4 head bolts into the top corner bolt holes (ideally with some kind of rubber ball/foot over the head of each bolt for the glass to sit on?
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 21 March 2017, 20:58:51 »

EDIT: Just thought...imagine it chromed....niiiiiice.

Yup. That first pic is chromed!!!  8)
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 21 March 2017, 21:00:38 »

Edit.... sorry Andy. Just completely ignored your comment re head bolts.  :-[ I'm quite tired  :'(
RIP Paul Lovejoy

STEMO

« Reply #28 on: 21 March 2017, 21:02:30 »

Cheers stemo. I would like to get it looking awesome as opposed to something I'd look at and find flaw with.

Yes. Have a google. But it will involve that very scarce commodity....patience.

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 21 March 2017, 21:05:09 »

Yes. Have a google. But it will involve that very scarce commodity....patience.

What's that?  :-\ ::) ;)
RIP Paul Lovejoy
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 21 queries.