Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Not much creep from auto Migs?  (Read 3998 times)

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
Re: Not much creep from auto Migs?
« Reply #30 on: 06 January 2011, 16:32:46 »

Certainly creeps if your idle speed goes nuts with an air leak/ dodgy ICV, saw 25 mph in D without touching pedals :o :o
Happy to do Omega servicing etc around Merseyside,cruise activation, airbag lights sorted too...

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #31 on: 06 January 2011, 16:44:22 »

It will certainly hold itself on a small rise of road surface, but on the level it will creep very slowly without any brake application ;)

But isn't this a different function of the gearbox Lizzie - hill hold? IIRC this is performed by the brake bands in the 'box. :-/

Creeping in drive is something else surely? And yes I have found that the creep facility in my Omega isn't that strong, especially when it's fully warmed up.

I'm having the atf & filter changed soon(-ish), that may or may not make some difference.

Do not understand that.  All I know is that in drive I can brake to a stop at say traffic lights on a rising road sufface and it will hold there, without any braking or other selection of gear, until I accelerate again. ;) ;)

geoffr70

• Omega Baron
  • Sunderland
  • Boobies
    • F/L 3.0 Elite, 3.0 MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 06 January 2011, 19:40:37 »

It will certainly hold itself on a small rise of road surface, but on the level it will creep very slowly without any brake application ;)

But isn't this a different function of the gearbox Lizzie - hill hold? IIRC this is performed by the brake bands in the 'box. :-/

Creeping in drive is something else surely? And yes I have found that the creep facility in my Omega isn't that strong, especially when it's fully warmed up.

I'm having the atf & filter changed soon(-ish), that may or may not make some difference.

It didn't for me - I didn't change it for that though.
TC and BnQ Trade holder.
I'll out pull you with my caravan!
V6 locking kit available locally, with deposit.

PxMetro

• Stamford
  • Maryland Cookies are brilliant for dunking
    • 3.2 MV6 Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 09 January 2011, 01:18:04 »

Hello, it's not really a help request so I put it here.

Has anyone noticed that there isn't much creep from auto Omegas when in drive, and foot on nothing? I've driven loads of autos in the past and they seem to creep alot more than my auto Elite.

I don't think it's a fault, my box is ok and I've just put new fluid and a filter in. It's not really much of a problem, but would prefer more creep so it would make it easier to park etc.

What does anyone else think?
I agree with your comments, but I suppose more creep (as you call it) could be detrimental in really slippery conditions when trying to park  8-) 8-)

geoffr70

• Omega Baron
  • Sunderland
  • Boobies
    • F/L 3.0 Elite, 3.0 MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 09 January 2011, 01:47:37 »

I think the opposite. More creep will be better in slippery conditions. One, you don't have to use the accelerator so there is less chance of spinning the wheels, and two, your right foot can be covering the brakes, just like it would be in a manual whilst easing the clutch up with your left foot, so the time taken to move your foot from the accelerator to the brake won't matter as you'll be covering it anyway. Whilst trying to squeeze a mig into small spaces this is vital. And I have squeezed the beasts into some very tight spaces, 6 inches front and back literally, with one shunt. I surprised myself! Parallel parking I think is like a mathematical equation, you follow the formula and you can't go wrong.
TC and BnQ Trade holder.

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 09 January 2011, 01:56:08 »

I think the opposite. More creep will be better in slippery conditions. One, you don't have to use the accelerator so there is less chance of spinning the wheels, and two, your right foot can be covering the brakes, just like it would be in a manual whilst easing the clutch up with your left foot, so the time taken to move your foot from the accelerator to the brake won't matter as you'll be covering it anyway. Whilst trying to squeeze a mig into small spaces this is vital. And I have squeezed the beasts into some very tight spaces, 6 inches front and back literally, with one shunt. I surprised myself! Parallel parking I think is like a mathematical equation, you follow the formula and you can't go wrong.

I agree, auto creep or snow button has the advantage over a manual in the snow we have had, creep means ultra slow which can get you out of all sorts of problems... :y  You could almost get out and push yourself... :D

PxMetro

• Stamford
    • 3.2 MV6 Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 09 January 2011, 09:28:41 »

I was thinking more in terms of the front wheels skidding / slipping when using full lock in tight maneuvers while using the brake to control the speed. I have had this happen to me in a different car.  ::) ::)

geoffr70

• Omega Baron
  • Sunderland
  • Boobies
    • F/L 3.0 Elite, 3.0 MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 09 January 2011, 13:15:38 »

I was thinking more in terms of the front wheels skidding / slipping when using full lock in tight maneuvers while using the brake to control the speed. I have had this happen to me in a different car.  ::) ::)

Well then you must either be talking about a FWD car, or going to fast, so should probably use the brake more to control the speed better.
« Last Edit: 09 January 2011, 13:18:38 by geoffr70 »
TC and BnQ Trade holder.

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 09 January 2011, 22:26:43 »

[/highlight]

I have experienced this when trying to stop, on a couple of occasions in the really bad weather, you need to be ready to knock it into neutral to stop the pushing effect when slowly stopping.... I find the creep more of an advantage overall in the snow and ice. elsewhere I do not use the creep to hold the car on a hill, always knock into neutral when stopped at lights or for any period of time, hold on foot brake or handbrake if a longer period of time... :y

djac

• Intermediate Member
  • West Sussex
    • 2001/Y Omega 3.2 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 20 January 2011, 09:51:42 »

It didn't for me - I didn't change it for that though.

Did you notice any improvement in pick-up or fuel economy?

PxMetro

• Stamford
    • 3.2 MV6 Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 22 January 2011, 17:42:49 »

Well then you must either be talking about a FWD car, or going to fast, so should probably use the brake more to control the speed better.
Thanks for the advice. Only been driving for about 34 years  :o :o

geoffr70

• Omega Baron
  • Sunderland
  • Boobies
    • F/L 3.0 Elite, 3.0 MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 22 January 2011, 19:15:31 »

Your welcome!  I know people who have been driving alot longer than that and they're still rubbish! Time doesn't mean anything :y
TC and BnQ Trade holder.

PxMetro

• Stamford
    • 3.2 MV6 Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 23 January 2011, 05:48:05 »

Your welcome!  I know people who have been driving alot longer than that and they're still rubbish! Time doesn't mean anything :y
In some cases, yes,  I’ll grant you that one. But then we all like to think we are good at driving, don’t we!  ;) ;).

The car I was referring too earlier was a Rover P6 Auto with the 3.5 V8, and had a manual choke (remember those?) I admit I was relatively inexperienced in those days (late 70's) as an apprentice motor mechanic, just passed my test an all, but with this thing on full choke, and me trying to hold it on the brakes on a slippery surface....well you can probably guess the rest. But did just manage to miss a brick wall.  Happy days eh? ;D ;D
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 18 queries.