Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: What economical estate to replace the mig?  (Read 3214 times)

o-meg-a

• south wales
  • avatar disabled meantime as its mahoosive!
    • View Profile
Re: What economical estate to replace the mig?
« Reply #15 on: 27 July 2011, 13:03:59 »

if going for a mondeo try and get a tddi rather tan a tdci as the tddi is a better engine and doesnt suffer from injector probs like the tdci new injectors on the tdci have to be coded the tddi you can just chuck new ones in  my tddi has done 230k without fault  mine is a ghia and comes with climate control cruise control full electrics and better interior but even low spec ones have air con :y

i get 50 plus mpg easily and thats with the air con always on :y

It's interesting that you say that because from everything i have read, the "better" engine is supposed to be the TDCI. What with it's Cam Chain and more power and the addition of a 6 speed box.

I think i have a liking for cam chains...seems to take the expensive hassle out of cambelt changes. I never feel confident doing cambelts myself, but i'm happy to do very regular oil changes and the like.

I have seen plenty of Tddi mondeos with better spec for sale at good prices too...hmm something to consider.

thanks

millwall

• Omega Baron
  • se london
  • no muff too tuff
    • accord type s
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 27 July 2011, 13:23:26 »

most tdcis have a 5 speed box unless you go for a newer one  the tddi is a lot easier to look after as its direct injection and not common rail   both are very good engines though  the six speed box can be prolematic  both engines are chain driven   i was lucky as mine has xenon headlights which was a very expensive extra and rare on mondeos  and as said if you can get a ghia or ghia x for better spec level :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 27 July 2011, 13:26:03 »

Tddi is chain as well, but lacks the power/economy of tdci

Vector estate with dti or cdti is another option
Grumpy old man

Irms

• Estonia
  • V6
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 27 July 2011, 13:30:53 »

i think a vectra estate should solve your problems, 2.0 DTH diesel is economical as f***, i had a DTL vectra estate as a working car, had done plenty on it and i was very pleased

millwall

• Omega Baron
  • se london
  • no muff too tuff
    • accord type s
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 27 July 2011, 13:39:05 »

Tddi is chain as well, but lacks the power/economy of tdci

Vector estate with dti or cdti is another option
tddi and tdci economy is almost identical  and not much in it power wise  unless you go for a tdci 150 or above  which are way out of his price range :y

ninjapirate

• dummer. hants.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 27 July 2011, 13:52:37 »

dont know if you will get a decent miles/spec 406 for £1500 but they are comfy cars
vectra estate sounds like a good one but, more about with the right history etc
didnt see too many mondeos in good spec, with miles and history for that.

twiglet

• Omega Baron
  • Norwich, Norfolk
  • 2008 BMW E61 535D LCi M Sport
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 27 July 2011, 14:17:14 »

What's wrong with an Omega 2.2 dti?
It doesn't matter how far you push the envelope, it will always be stationery...

ninjapirate

• dummer. hants.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 27 July 2011, 14:22:08 »

What's wrong with an Omega 2.2 dti?

dont think his budget will get a decent 2.2dti omega estate with milage under 150k and he want 50+mpg

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 27 July 2011, 15:11:54 »

I'm seriously considering a Citroen C5 2.2Hdi estate. My brother in law has the car version and gets 50+mpg, roomy, comfy and pretty reliable. OK so not RWD but the load space is near enough the same as a Mig and you can pick them up at very reasonable prices.

My father has a c5 2.2Hdi auto and it is a nice car,he has had a couple of problems with the ESP and TC but both have been fixed by the extended warranty,fuel economy on the auto is not so good though,his does mid 30's average but his old 2.0Hdi c5 manual would do a regular 48-52mpg but obviously lacked the grunt of the 2.2.I have towed the van with his car and it certainly makes much lighter work of it than my mig does :y
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 27 July 2011, 15:17:54 »

if going for a mondeo try and get a tddi rather tan a tdci as the tddi is a better engine and doesnt suffer from injector probs like the tdci new injectors on the tdci have to be coded the tddi you can just chuck new ones in  my tddi has done 230k without fault  mine is a ghia and comes with climate control cruise control full electrics and better interior but even low spec ones have air con :y

i get 50 plus mpg easily and thats with the air con always on :y

It's interesting that you say that because from everything i have read, the "better" engine is supposed to be the TDCI. What with it's Cam Chain and more power and the addition of a 6 speed box.

I think i have a liking for cam chains...seems to take the expensive hassle out of cambelt changes. I never feel confident doing cambelts myself, but i'm happy to do very regular oil changes and the like.

I have seen plenty of Tddi mondeos with better spec for sale at good prices too...hmm something to consider.

thanks

The TDCI is a rather mare!

Trouble with flywheels (as per all modern diesels it would appear) injectors, high pressure pumps, the odd turbo etc etc etc

I personaly would aheva  belt over a chain any day of the week as you know where you are with a belt.....chains DO stretch, the guides and tensioners DO wear and they DO snap. Plus changing them is a bigger job to!
« Last Edit: 27 July 2011, 15:19:06 by Mark »

o-meg-a

• south wales
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 27 July 2011, 15:20:33 »

I genuinely didnt know the TDDI was a chain driven engine.....That does put it in a much better light in my eyes.

I think i have put common rail on a pedestal, as its the newer technology with supposedly better efficiency and refinement.

As for finding a good 406 with low miles...that seems to not be a problem in my price range.
I'm not scared of over 100k on diesels.
I bought the mig with 111k on it.

I'd probably go as far as 130k, so that it will have roughly 150k on it in a years time (when i might sell up again lol)

o-meg-a

• south wales
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 27 July 2011, 15:31:32 »

2.0 L (1998 cc) Duratorq I4, 90 PS (89 hp (66 kW) and 155 lb·ft (210 N·m)) (2.0 TDDi 90)
2.0 L (1998 cc) Duratorq I4, 116 PS (114 hp (85 kW) and 207 lb·ft (281 N·m)) (2.0 TDCi 115)
2.0 L (1998 cc) Duratorq I4, 131 PS (129 hp (96 kW) and 244 lb·ft (331 N·m)) (2.0 TDCi 130)

figures show what i would call significant power and torque differences between the tddi and the 130bhp tdci's i have been looking for.

ninjapirate

• dummer. hants.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 27 July 2011, 15:51:29 »

2.0 L (1998 cc) Duratorq I4, 90 PS (89 hp (66 kW) and 155 lb·ft (210 N·m)) (2.0 TDDi 90)
2.0 L (1998 cc) Duratorq I4, 116 PS (114 hp (85 kW) and 207 lb·ft (281 N·m)) (2.0 TDCi 115)
2.0 L (1998 cc) Duratorq I4, 131 PS (129 hp (96 kW) and 244 lb·ft (331 N·m)) (2.0 TDCi 130)

figures show what i would call significant power and torque differences between the tddi and the 130bhp tdci's i have been looking for.
nearly 100 extra torques and 40bhp more should be pretty noticable

millwall

• Omega Baron
  • se london
  • no muff too tuff
    • accord type s
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 27 July 2011, 15:57:07 »

missing off that list is the tddi 115 which i have unfortunately they are hard to get hold of and i think only came in ghia or ghia x

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 27 July 2011, 15:57:39 »

Given your budget, Diesel cost and vehicle size, think I would be looking for an LPG Estate.

Chris.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 21 queries.