Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Cyclists  (Read 1895 times)

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
Cyclists
« on: 04 April 2022, 22:27:50 »

Seeing a lot of posts on social media about towns in our area changeing the roads to accomadate cycling lanes.

I dont begrudge them thier own space at all, but some of the proposals are leaving less space for road users that generally use the road properly and pay Tax/MOT and insurance for the right to do so.

A lot of cyclists abuse the highway  code, have no certification to use the road and dont pay insurance.
Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
Re: Cyclists
« Reply #1 on: 04 April 2022, 23:09:25 »

and some donteven use cycle lanes when theyre there for them !

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 April 2022, 23:13:32 »

There are several good reasons why we don't.

The main one is that many of them are so badly designed and maintained that they are dangerous.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05 April 2022, 01:51:31 »

I would take that up with the cabbage munching Snowflakes that designed them...
Onanists always think outside the box.

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05 April 2022, 09:00:20 »

I saw a brilliant newly completed narrow cycle lane here in Spain ,  in the middle between the lanes. There was a lampost bang in the middle. So it is not just a British problem.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

GastronomicKleptomaniac

• Omega Baron
  • Teesside (the nice bit)
    • 3.2 plod, 2.6 MV6, etc
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05 April 2022, 09:01:57 »

A lot of cyclists abuse the highway  code, have no certification to use the road and dont pay insurance.

You've never driven in Middlesbrough, have you? :D
Servicing and repairs done in NE. Special rates for OOFers! PM me.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05 April 2022, 09:47:30 »

I would take that up with the cabbage munching Snowflakes that designed them...

They are the same people that can't design roads for traffic.

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05 April 2022, 13:22:39 »

The main one is that many of them are so badly designed and maintained that they are dangerous.
[/quo

The main one is that many of them are so badly designed and maintained that t

Totally agree Nick, Sustrans gets the money to put the cycle ways in initially, but then there is little or no funds for the upkeep. Many around here are totally overgrown and are now under half the original width due to spreading vegetation. Also, the markings of the ones in town have virtually disappeared and the surfaces are dangerous with potholes and debris from the traffic.

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 05 April 2022, 15:58:43 »

In the village where I grew up, the local council or highways pandered to the ‘Pedestrian and cycling action group’ and put a cycle lane where a cycle lane wouldn’t fit. That didn’t bother them, they just separated an already narrow road with another white dashed line for the cyclists. You couldn’t pass a cyclist without going in to the other lane anyway so nothing has changed. Near the centre of the village they then separated the cyclists from vehicles with a massive line of bollards.

Photo No.1 shows the width of the road and the dashed, shared space, cycle lane, splitting the lane in half. You can see the lines under the bus.
Photo No.2 shows the start of the bollards that separate the cyclists from vehicles.
Photo No.3 shows how they narrowed the lane so much with the white line and bollards that a vehicle doesn’t even fit in the lane, so vehicles have no option but to cross the road markings.
Who the hell comes up with this sort of shite.  ;D

My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 05 April 2022, 19:52:52 »

In the village where I grew up, the local council or highways pandered to the ‘Pedestrian and cycling action group’ and put a cycle lane where a cycle lane wouldn’t fit. That didn’t bother them, they just separated an already narrow road with another white dashed line for the cyclists. You couldn’t pass a cyclist without going in to the other lane anyway so nothing has changed. Near the centre of the village they then separated the cyclists from vehicles with a massive line of bollards.

Photo No.1 shows the width of the road and the dashed, shared space, cycle lane, splitting the lane in half. You can see the lines under the bus.
Photo No.2 shows the start of the bollards that separate the cyclists from vehicles.
Photo No.3 shows how they narrowed the lane so much with the white line and bollards that a vehicle doesn’t even fit in the lane, so vehicles have no option but to cross the road markings.
Who the hell comes up with this sort of shite.  ;D

Who in Gods name sanctioned that configuration in pic 3.  ;D ::)

raywilb

• Omega Knight
  • york
    • DS DS4
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 05 April 2022, 21:04:04 »

i worked in Germany & the cycle lanes seemed to be designed not to interfere with cars & such, paths were wide enough for them in the towns & cities & also when crossing roads the traffic lights displayed a green bicycle for them to cross. schools started a lot earlier than they do in the UK so in a city like Munich would have loads of bikes including 50cc mopeds in cycle lanes ,on footpaths & i don,t recall anyone abusing the system.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 05 April 2022, 22:44:15 »

i worked in Germany & the cycle lanes seemed to be designed not to interfere with cars & such, paths were wide enough for them in the towns & cities & also when crossing roads the traffic lights displayed a green bicycle for them to cross. schools started a lot earlier than they do in the UK so in a city like Munich would have loads of bikes including 50cc mopeds in cycle lanes ,on footpaths & i don,t recall anyone abusing the system.

Ze Germans always follow ze rules!  ::)  ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 05 April 2022, 23:00:14 »

Ze Germans always follow ze rules!  ::) ;D

That's much easier to do when the rules have some sense behind them. Painting some random lines on the road and chucking a few signs along the pavement does not make worthwhile a cycle lane. It's a politician's 'solution'; spend some money, get a physical thing and take the credit before you lose your seat.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 05 April 2022, 23:08:54 »

That's much easier to do when the rules have some sense behind them. Painting some random lines on the road and chucking a few signs along the pavement does not make worthwhile a cycle lane. It's a politician's 'solution'; spend some money, get a physical thing and take the credit before you lose your seat.

No I think Ze Germans would obey and follow the lines and signs if they took them over a cliff!  ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • Mv6 3.2 Mitsi Evo2. XJ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 05 April 2022, 23:29:24 »

Yes as long as they tick the box this bunch of jokers think it’s ok
Laying a rubber road.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 21 queries.