Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Is this really the way forward?  (Read 2398 times)

Bionic

• Omega Knight
  • Leicester
  • Why drive anything else?
    • 1999 F/L 3.0 Elite saloon
    • View Profile
Is this really the way forward?
« on: 25 January 2014, 05:50:39 »

Waiting outside of a school a few days ago while I was parked close to a mobile fast food van I had the misfortune to overhear a group of 4 young 'men' and 3 young 'women' aged about 14 discussing what they should do for the rest of the day. Listening closer it transpired that 2 of them had been sent out of the class for some form of misbehaviour and during break they had then been joined by their companions. Those who had been requested to leave the class were relating what the others should do and that was to 'tell the stupid '*wa* ( I presume that was their tutor) to f off and then meet us at the park while we get the 'stuff'. What the 'stuff' is I can only hazard a guess that it is illegal for them to have.
My point is this; Whilst I was at school the teachers were called Sir or Miss, the use of their forename was forbidden, and they were required to be dressed smartly. Their very appearance and attitude commended respect and that was, for the vast majority, what they received from both their school pupils and the general public. Then over a fairly short period of time it was decided by those who should know better that the use of the teachers forename by their pupils would bring them closer to their pupils. From the evidence since then it appears that the respect they once had has now been eroded to a very low point as a result of that practice.
Just as in business a teacher is akin to a manager, it follows that if a manager in any business is without any respect from the workforce they unable to manage efficiently and so the business suffers generally by a lower output than was envisaged. Would a manager in business allow the workforce to dictate what they would or would not do?
Why then when that answer is an emphatic NO why have the so called teaching ‘profession’ allowed themselves to be manipulated to the position that is now prevalent? Where is the discipline and respect? I envisage that the replies to this will no doubt be that it is a minority who are the cause of this. Ok, maybe it is a minority presently but that minority is growing because by the application of ‘peer’ pressure the support of that minority will continue to grow.
The simple answer and solution I suggest would be to revert to those past methods which instilled respect for teachers and that respect being ‘earned’ by the example set by the teachers.
Nuf said………

Too old to suffer, too young to die!
Autobahnstormers Trade Cards now accepted at Drive Leicester and at Marshall's Vauxhall.

sjr47

Re: Is this really the way forward?
« Reply #1 on: 25 January 2014, 07:53:12 »

As Machiavelli said in the Prince "it is better to be feared than loved" and most of us in my days circa 1960s had teachers you dare not cross unfortunatly today that fear /respect seems to have disappeared entirely from our education system so disruptive elements flourish probably only learning the error of their ways on leaving school but its also a mirror of todays way of life  and has been for many years and no one has the balls or mandate in any government of recent years to change it every year we seem to fall further down global education ranking behind the likes of Vietnam but most kids are still good uns just the few bad apples are not restricted . :'( :'( :'(

blackviper90210

• Omega Baron
  • Bromsgrove, West Midlands
    • 03 3.2 Elite Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25 January 2014, 08:34:24 »

I only left school in the mid 80's but we had to call our teachers sir and miss. Our head of years were the ones we all feared, lol. You knew you were in trouble if you were sent there  ::)

We need to bring back responsibility and accountability for our own actions and have suitable punishments, enforced.

We need to Ditch this human rights joke, bring back corporal punishment and finally bring back National Service....... Can't see any of this ever happening :-\
AKA - Mr Bracket

2boxerdogs

« Reply #3 on: 25 January 2014, 09:37:36 »

I only left school in the mid 80's but we had to call our teachers sir and miss. Our head of years were the ones we all feared, lol. You knew you were in trouble if you were sent there  ::)

We need to bring back responsibility and accountability for our own actions and have suitable punishments, enforced.

We need to Ditch this human rights joke, bring back corporal punishment and finally bring back National Service....... Can't see any of this ever happening :-\

Trouble is  we haven't got anybody in power with the balls to do it !!

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 25 January 2014, 10:48:07 »

I was at school in the sixties. The teachers would think nothing of dragging you from your desk and giving you a bloody good hiding. :-X

This approach worked well enough if the teachers were in control of their emotions, but I'm sure that a few 'sadistic bastards' got off on it. :-\

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 25 January 2014, 10:53:53 »

Being caned by my 24 year old gym teacher, Ms Jones, wasn't such a bad experience for a 15 year old boy. ;) ;D ;D

martin42

« Reply #6 on: 25 January 2014, 11:04:47 »

Blame the nanny nation,cant hit a kid,cant tell a kid off,let them do what they want,etc,and this is what happens,no respect,dont give a shit attitude and blame everybody else when they do something wrong,this country has gone to the dogs........

Jusme

• Omega Knight
  • North Hykeham, Lincoln.
    • Lexus LS430
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 25 January 2014, 11:24:35 »

'Here we go again'! Let's blame everyone 'except' ourselves. It is my generation and the ones following that are to blame. When we were kids our parents were strict, it was 'perfectly OK' to clout your kid around the head when out shopping, everyone did it. If you complained to your parents about a teacher whacking you, you were told, 'you must have done something wrong then'. Then enter my generation as parents. All of a sudden 'you must have done something wrong then' was changed to. 'They ain't going to do that to my son/daughter'. This spilled over into all walks of life. Teachers and head teachers were suddenly confronted with irate parents making threats, they had to 'back off'. This has just degenerated over the years. Kids learnt very quickly that teachers were cautious about disciplining a child, for fear of the complaining parents. Then we got to the 'kids having kids' era, which sadly, is still with us. Parents are so young that they are more interested in the pursuit of their own pleasures, rather than parenting their kids. Not all parents are 'that young', but woe betide the kids that come home and want some interaction with Dad when, he is 'playing' on the x-box, or chatting to his mate about the latest 'apps' for his phone, the graphics etc etc etc. So the kids from an early age have to sort things for themselves. Many parents cannot wait to grow up so that they can, 'act like kids'?? Rather than treat their kids as kids. "MEN"! 40 years old, 'playing' on x-boxes', it's a toy for God's sake. Witness these forum pages, the amount of posts about 'playing' with your phone, apps, graphics, Mario, etc etc. We leave our kids to 'get on with it'. Then look around for someone to blame.

All of us 'old uns' grew up in a different time, National Service was a great institution, but. There was 'full employment', how would we afford it now?

Take a few minutes break from your PS3 and check out your kids on '2FacedBook' you would be disgusted at what you read, especially from your little girl who, not so long ago was a little thing in pigtails. To me it's almost like a movement toward 'role reversal'. The girls are talking 'publicly' about getting 'smashed', fighting, screwing etc etc. But no! Let's not bother with what the kids are getting up to. 'Blimey! I just got a highest score'. 'Let the teachers and politicians sort em out'.   
Under-steer is when the front of the car hits the wall, and over-steer is when the rear of the car hits the wall.
Power is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how much of the wall you take with you.

Keith ABS

• Omega Baron
  • Maldon Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 25 January 2014, 12:02:04 »

When the capital punishment stopped in schools it was also at the same time that many of the "60,s" make love not war generation who became teachers had got into positions of power. It all went rapidly downhill from there. i remember at my school that a new teacher started who looked remarkably like "Lilly" from the sitcom Get some in. He only lasted a term at the hands of first year (year7) pupils until he had a breakdown. Nothing could be done with the kids as you cant punish little Johnny or jemima as it is not ethical.
Bring back capital punishment and proper borstal to teach some of them some proper respect
Keith B

martin42

« Reply #9 on: 25 January 2014, 12:09:48 »

Popcorn time  ;D

Why do parents let kids as young as 18 months walk right next to a busy main road without no reins on????
Guess who gets blamed when that kid runs in to the road and hit by a car,the driver.
Seems like the blame everbody else attitude is getting worse,no common sense and no moral values.

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 25 January 2014, 12:20:03 »

When the capital punishment stopped in schools it was also at the same time that many of the "60,s" make love not war generation who became teachers had got into positions of power. It all went rapidly downhill from there. i remember at my school that a new teacher started who looked remarkably like "Lilly" from the sitcom Get some in. He only lasted a term at the hands of first year (year7) pupils until he had a breakdown. Nothing could be done with the kids as you cant punish little Johnny or jemima as it is not ethical.
Bring back capital punishment and proper borstal to teach some of them some proper respect
Keith B
:o :o :o
We only had the cane or the slipper in the 1970's

Wasn't aware of any schools using capital punishment ::)
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 25 January 2014, 12:41:53 »

Keith B
:o :o :o

Wasn't aware of any schools using capital punishment ::)

Yes. I can't recall a single 'hanging' from the sixties. :o :o ::) ;)

sjr47

« Reply #12 on: 25 January 2014, 12:46:17 »

Cat O nine tales for us to Ouch !!!! only once was enough  ::) ::) ::)
« Last Edit: 25 January 2014, 12:49:38 by sjr47 »

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 25 January 2014, 12:46:37 »

I'm sure the Head at my school would have happily used the electric chair had he been allowed and would have done it on the stage at morning assembly!  :o  ::)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

I_want_an_Omega

« Reply #14 on: 25 January 2014, 12:58:26 »

'Here we go again'! Let's blame everyone 'except' ourselves. It is my generation and the ones following that are to blame. When we were kids our parents were strict, it was 'perfectly OK' to clout your kid around the head when out shopping, everyone did it. If you complained to your parents about a teacher whacking you, you were told, 'you must have done something wrong then'. Then enter my generation as parents. All of a sudden 'you must have done something wrong then' was changed to. 'They ain't going to do that to my son/daughter'. This spilled over into all walks of life. Teachers and head teachers were suddenly confronted with irate parents making threats, they had to 'back off'. This has just degenerated over the years. Kids learnt very quickly that teachers were cautious about disciplining a child, for fear of the complaining parents. Then we got to the 'kids having kids' era, which sadly, is still with us. Parents are so young that they are more interested in the pursuit of their own pleasures, rather than parenting their kids. Not all parents are 'that young', but woe betide the kids that come home and want some interaction with Dad when, he is 'playing' on the x-box, or chatting to his mate about the latest 'apps' for his phone, the graphics etc etc etc. So the kids from an early age have to sort things for themselves. Many parents cannot wait to grow up so that they can, 'act like kids'?? Rather than treat their kids as kids. "MEN"! 40 years old, 'playing' on x-boxes', it's a toy for God's sake. Witness these forum pages, the amount of posts about 'playing' with your phone, apps, graphics, Mario, etc etc. We leave our kids to 'get on with it'. Then look around for someone to blame.

All of us 'old uns' grew up in a different time, National Service was a great institution, but. There was 'full employment', how would we afford it now?

Take a few minutes break from your PS3 and check out your kids on '2FacedBook' you would be disgusted at what you read, especially from your little girl who, not so long ago was a little thing in pigtails. To me it's almost like a movement toward 'role reversal'. The girls are talking 'publicly' about getting 'smashed', fighting, screwing etc etc. But no! Let's not bother with what the kids are getting up to. 'Blimey! I just got a highest score'. 'Let the teachers and politicians sort em out'.   

+ 1. Well said old chap, I totally agree with everything you have said.  :y. Small observation is that I've not seen evidence of OOFers who play the online games actually having any kids. I'm sure someone will prove me wrong. I'm a grumpy old sod as well - I have a couple of "apps" on my phone. One allows me to make telephone calls and speak to people, the other allows short messages to be sent. All the rest are "dangleberries" really ...........  :-X
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 21 queries.