Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Overturned lorry....  (Read 1491 times)

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
Overturned lorry....
« on: 11 December 2007, 23:17:00 »

...on an internal slip road leading to the lorry car park at the services on the M1 near J2. How can you overturn a lorry in a car park? The 'heavy' load was not to blame, it was only hay...  :o

Alas, no more Omegas....

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
Re: Overturned lorry....
« Reply #1 on: 11 December 2007, 23:18:52 »

Emergency services were on the scene 10 minutes after I took the first picture. The driver incidentally was not badly hurt, he had a head injury and a bandage but was concious and was sitting down being comforted by other lorry drivers. Hope he is OK...

« Last Edit: 11 December 2007, 23:20:04 by markjay »
Alas, no more Omegas....

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 December 2007, 23:19:34 »

Did the driver come up the slip road?  If so, could have easily done it too fast then overcorrected.  Grain flows almost as easily as water and can tip a truck without really trying, especially if no internal boards in the trailer to stop it....

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 December 2007, 23:20:55 »

Did the driver come up the slip road?  If so, could have easily done it too fast then overcorrected.  Grain flows almost as easily as water and can tip a truck without really trying, especially if no internal boards in the trailer to stop it....

I thought you might post something to illuminate this...  ;D thanks.
Alas, no more Omegas....

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 December 2007, 23:21:58 »

Grain is like quicksand.......

Been to too many farm 'accidents' sadly.....   :'(
« Last Edit: 11 December 2007, 23:22:35 by hotel21 »

MikeDundee

• Omega Lord
  • Costa Del Peckham
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12 December 2007, 06:17:24 »

Who's the bloke in the hi-vis walking away ::)

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12 December 2007, 09:55:38 »

Who's the bloke in the hi-vis walking away ::)

He is not walking away... that was one of the car park attendants diverting traffic away from the slip road blocked by the overturned lorry.

Alas, no more Omegas....

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12 December 2007, 09:59:31 »

Grain is like quicksand.......

Been to too many farm 'accidents' sadly.....   :'(

I knew someone who was a safety officer at a large grain storage facilty. Apart from people ocassionally falling into the grain and dying a slow and painfull death, often while others are watching helplessly, the dust from the grain is actually explosive and grain storage facilities have been known to simply combust and explode without warning.. apparently ventilation is the answer to the latter issue. I assume that this is the sort of thing you were referring to?

Alas, no more Omegas....

Dave-C

• Omega Knight
  • Staffordshire
  • The Old Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12 December 2007, 18:56:56 »

Saw a grain truck go over on the A50 in May 07....  as you say, no baffles in the tank..
DC
Do it right, do it once................

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 12 December 2007, 19:32:32 »

Agree with the comments about grain, but the answer is in the first picture take a look at the height of the kerb/verge and where the truck has ended up, bet he caught it with the rear wheels and it went over seen it happen a few times in the services!!!
« Last Edit: 12 December 2007, 19:33:11 by Omegatoy »

Not A Salmon

• Kent, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 12 December 2007, 21:38:41 »

Agree with the comments about grain, but the answer is in the first picture take a look at the height of the kerb/verge and where the truck has ended up, bet he caught it with the rear wheels and it went over seen it happen a few times in the services!!!

I was just about to say exactly that!  :y
I miss my Lotus Carlton :-(

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 12 December 2007, 22:16:35 »

He done well to make the cab miss the lampstandard on the nearside then......

Minispud

• Intermediate Member
  • Banbury, Oxfordshire
  • Ride hard with Passion
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 12 December 2007, 22:22:04 »

Still anyone for a fresh loaf  ;D ;D ;D
D.A.R.N.A Cycles.   Ride with Passion in your Heart

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 12 December 2007, 22:31:54 »

He done well to make the cab miss the lampstandard on the nearside then......

cab would have been past the lamp by the time the rear wheels hit the kerb

amigov6

« Reply #14 on: 12 December 2007, 23:44:02 »

:)Got to Bletchinton (nr. Oxford today) with a 40ft hi cube container packed to the roof with charcoal. You pull into a pub car park & check it's clear to reverse into the yard(Bagnalls). Was told my load needed to go to thier other yard & one of thier staff would go with me. Tried to turn very sharp left @ walking pace with camber against me. Got halfway round & started "scratting" (weight of trailer pulling rear of unit up resulting in loss of grip to drive wheels) so going nowhere. The camber was that bad i could see daylight through the 5th wheel & the pin. (not good) :( 4x4 could'nt pull me forward so HAD to pull me back again. Those of you in the know will understand what was going through my mind feeling the trailer rock, the unit was pushing the trailer which was top heavy further into an adverse camber, i could'nt let the lock off earlier or i'd have hit the pub! Had the trailer tipped the cab (with me in :o) would've swung 90 degrees before hitting the deck on my side. I don't mind admitting i was a tad uneasy to say the least!!!!!!!!& i was on my blind side! In retrospect i should've found somewhere else to turn round but it shows how easily s**t can happen ::)
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 18 queries.