Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: LPG Kit Supplier and some thoughts...  (Read 3390 times)

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
LPG Kit Supplier and some thoughts...
« on: 15 February 2010, 13:34:30 »

I have spoken to the supplier today and expressed some concerns with respect to his answering service as several people, myself included, have had issues getting in contact. The good news is that he has hopefully settled down a bit now and shouldn't be travelling as much :y :y

He's also developed a new ECU, with some interesting features including a "self-learn" function, which does exactly that... You calibrate it and set it to self-learn and it does the full calibration whilst being driven about, without the need for a laptop connected and someone keeping an eye on it :y :y

Now for the interesting part... I'm looking at options for Toroidal tanks for the Estate I'm after and was struggling to see more than a 55L tank fitting, which included raising the floor about an inch. This simply wouldn't be big enough for my requirements (in reality) as that's only a 44L usable size and 10ish Gallons at an average 20mpg (worst case average) isn't enough, never mind when the Caravan is on the back :o :o

The suggestion, which is something he has done numerous times, is to cut out the bottom of the wheel well and use a top mounted tank attached to a steel plate which is, in turn, fitted to the boot floor over the wheel well.  :-/ :-/

Now this has some real potential... It means the floor doesn't need raising any noticeable amount (2.5-3mm for the plate) and, I think, a 77L tank... Which is much more reasonable, giving about 61L usable, only 3 L less than Kevin Woods' and Entwood's tanks. This makes it workable :y :y

My thinking is that it has real potential... Whilst I'm not overly happy about cutting a great hole in the floor of a new car, it does mean getting a reasonable sized tank in. As long as it's finished properly and sealed correctly it's fine :y :y

So... Any thoughts?
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Re: LPG Kit Supplier and some thoughts...
« Reply #1 on: 15 February 2010, 14:00:31 »

I've been looking at the mapping software for that new LPG controller and would be keen to play with one if anyone is tempted and about to convert. In addition to self-mapping it has much more flexibility for manual mapping.

I believe the self-mapping requires an OBDII complaint engine ECU though. :-/

As to the spare wheel well option yes, it would be interesting to try. Firstly, you could use a centre-filled toroidal tank as you wouldn't need the valve to be in the centre. It could be on the edge of the tank and, since it'll be dangling in fresh air you won't need any ducting for ventilation.

The petrol tank on the estate is fairly closely moulded to the shape of the wheel well as we discovered when doing Marie's install. Not having the wheel well in place will increase the volume available quite a bit, but fitting it within the confines of the petrol tank will be the ultimate limitation. I guess the petrol tank could be dropped a few inches by spacing out the tank strap mountings for a bit more space.

It's a nice idea. It would be great to chop out the wheel well on a car, weld in a flat floor and then take it along to Teilo's to offer up some tanks and see what the limits are.

Now, where's that tin opener...  ;D

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15 February 2010, 14:06:39 »

I've been looking at the mapping software for that new LPG controller and would be keen to play with one if anyone is tempted and about to convert. In addition to self-mapping it has much more flexibility for manual mapping.

I need to get my ass in gear and covert mine, all the required stuff is in the garage  ::)

Got half of March off (18th to 2nd April)

If your free then be good to get mine converted  :y

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15 February 2010, 14:08:33 »

As to the spare wheel well option yes, it would be interesting to try. Firstly, you could use a centre-filled toroidal tank as you wouldn't need the valve to be in the centre. It could be on the edge of the tank and, since it'll be dangling in fresh air you won't need any ducting for ventilation.

The petrol tank on the estate is fairly closely moulded to the shape of the wheel well as we discovered when doing Marie's install. Not having the wheel well in place will increase the volume available quite a bit, but fitting it within the confines of the petrol tank will be the ultimate limitation. I guess the petrol tank could be dropped a few inches by spacing out the tank strap mountings for a bit more space.

It's a nice idea. It would be great to chop out the wheel well on a car, weld in a flat floor and then take it along to Teilo's to offer up some tanks and see what the limits are.

Kevin

The new ECU isn't the Stag 300-Premium/Plus... It's his own design, manufactured in the UK, although he is expecting some Premium/Plus ECU's through soon.

The Self Mapping on his ECU isn't OBD2 dependant as the ECU isn't OBD2 ;) ;)

So... The tank is moulded around the wheel well? And under or just around?? If it runs under that may pretty much scupper the idea of cutting out the floor, although it will offer extra weather protection ::) ::) ;D ;D

The plan is to use a Top mounted, Full Toroidal Tank, which I think I could get a 77L one in, assuming there is space under the car for the correct ground clearance. I said about welding the plate in and he said it's not essential... Can just be bolted in :-/ :-/ Think I'd prefer it welded, with a small access panel to get to valves/wiring

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15 February 2010, 14:10:09 »

I need to get my ass in gear and covert mine, all the required stuff is in the garage  ::)

You've not got a Stag 300 Premium/Plus controller though ::) ::)

I did say that I'm available at odd times, working 4-on/4-off... Just give me a shout and I'll see if I can help :y :y

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15 February 2010, 14:12:15 »

D'oh, your mappings with be for 6 pots of course  ::)

Cheers mate, may very well take you up on that. Got a spare inlet manifold thanks to KenT which i need to get the LPG injectors mounted on first  :)

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15 February 2010, 14:15:23 »

Kevin

If the tank is around and not "under" the well... What's the dimension of the "hole" in the tank... I've based the thoughts on a 650mm diameter tank... If I can go up to 720mm Diameter then can get a 95L one in there ::) ::)

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 15 February 2010, 14:16:52 »

Cheers mate, may very well take you up on that. Got a spare inlet manifold thanks to KenT which i need to get the LPG injectors mounted on first  :)

There's an expert at fitting nozzles on here... In fact, he's posted on this thread above your first post  :-X :-X :-X ::) ::) ::)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 15 February 2010, 14:18:27 »

There's an expert at fitting nozzles on here... In fact, he's posted on this thread above your first post  :-X :-X :-X ::) ::) ::)
He's got too much else on  :-X
Grumpy old man

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 15 February 2010, 14:19:44 »

Assuming you're converting, can I come and help / take the piss?

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 15 February 2010, 14:21:28 »

Noted  :y

I'd like to help as much as i can, Kevin Wood kindly offered to do them if i post them down, but i feel bad doing that. I want to try and do as much of it myself, Suffolk is a bit far for me  :'(

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 15 February 2010, 14:21:59 »

Assuming you're converting, can I come and help / take the piss?

At me or TB? Think all the 2/3's engine jokes have run their course  ::)  ;D

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 15 February 2010, 14:23:58 »

Oh dear... Looks like Tunnie's going to have to go and have buy a pig for all those Bacon Sarnies ::) ;D

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 15 February 2010, 14:25:25 »

Oh dear... Looks like Tunnie's going to have to go and have buy a pig for all those Bacon Sarnies ::) ;D

No doubt my garage with its 'boys tools' will be called apon  ;D

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 15 February 2010, 14:25:46 »

I'd like to help as much as i can, Kevin Wood kindly offered to do them if i post them down, but i feel bad doing that. I want to try and do as much of it myself, Suffolk is a bit far for me  :'(

I meant Kevin... He doesn't mind, it gives him something to do while SWMBO is watching the soaps ;D ;D

I was offering to come over that way to help you out... You've got a garage ;) ;)

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 15 February 2010, 14:27:17 »

TB can come along and have a play too... It'll give him an idea what hewe'll be doing when we do the MV6 ;D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 15 February 2010, 14:27:56 »

I meant Kevin... He doesn't mind, it gives him something to do while SWMBO is watching the soaps ;D ;D

I was offering to come over that way to help you out... You've got a garage ;) ;)
I should point out, as well as not having 'mans tools', tunnie's double garage has a bloody pillar down the middle!

Sammy!
Grumpy old man

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 15 February 2010, 14:29:05 »

Blimey thats very kind of you, do you work standard weeks? I do 3 days on 3 days off and for the next couple of weeks i am on weekends, but got mid-weeks off.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 15 February 2010, 14:30:20 »

I should point out, as well as not having 'mans tools', tunnie's double garage has a bloody pillar down the middle!

Sammy!

Does cause problems for some jobs, like hand brake adjustment  ::)

For those in the know just picture TB sat facing a rear disc, with a hammer  ::)  ;D

Its ok for engine relaed work though  :)

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 15 February 2010, 14:30:37 »

if we could get three/four of us, we'd blat through a 4 pot LPG install in a couple of days  :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 15 February 2010, 14:32:32 »

Sammy!

Does cause problems for some jobs, like hand brake adjustment  ::)

For those in the know just picture TB sat facing a rear disc, with a hammer  ::)  ;D

Its ok for engine relaed work though  :)
That wasn't a hammer, that was a bloody kids toy  >:(
Grumpy old man

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 15 February 2010, 14:38:28 »

if we could get three/four of us, we'd blat through a 4 pot LPG install in a couple of days  :y

I should think so... I did my V6 in 3 fairly easy days on my own :y :y

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 15 February 2010, 14:39:17 »

Mounted my tank frame, tank etc the other evening. All measured and fits nicely.

Need to rust proof, though  :y

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 15 February 2010, 14:42:23 »

Blimey thats very kind of you, do you work standard weeks? I do 3 days on 3 days off and for the next couple of weeks i am on weekends, but got mid-weeks off.

You've not got a Stag 300 Premium/Plus controller though ::) ::)

I did say that I'm available at odd times, working 4-on/4-off... Just give me a shout and I'll see if I can help :y :y

Must warn you though... I'm a little partial to Bacon Sarnies and carry a little "Holiday weight" ::) ::)

All I need is somewhere to crash out for the night if I come over... I might even get SWMBO to make some brownies to keep our strength up ;) ;)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 15 February 2010, 14:43:02 »

First week in March i have the weekend days free (6-8th)

As i mentioned all the kit is in the garage, ECU, looms, tank, tank frame, pipe work, everything....

Garage is now suitable to work in during the night, thanks to better lights & paint job.

If you guys come down, i can put you up in the local hotel:

http://www.thecrownhotelbrackley.co.uk/thecrownhotelres.html

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 15 February 2010, 14:44:52 »

As i mentioned all the kit is in the garage, ECU, looms, tank, tank frame, pipe work, everything....

Garage is now suitable to work in during the night, thanks to better lights & paint job.

Blimey... That's generous! :o :o I meant a bit of floor space ;D ;D

Pity I'm working weekends in March :( :( My first day is tomorrow
« Last Edit: 15 February 2010, 14:45:57 by Lazydocker »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 15 February 2010, 14:45:22 »

LOL - if you want references to that particular establishment, ask Timbuk/Bo Bo/Elite Pete, all of who have stayed there ;D. And vowed never again.

Cheap beer though.
« Last Edit: 15 February 2010, 14:45:38 by TheBoy »
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 15 February 2010, 14:46:11 »

Blimey... That's generous! :o :o I meant a bit of floor space ;D ;D
You'd be better sleeping in Tunnie's garage than the Crown ;)
Grumpy old man

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 15 February 2010, 14:46:42 »

Is that where we went for a couple of pints, before getting soaked walking back to your place?

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 15 February 2010, 14:46:42 »

LOL - if you want references to that particular establishment, ask Timbuk/Bo Bo/Elite Pete, all of who have stayed there ;D. And vowed never again.

Cheap beer though.

Oh... Looks nice in the pictures though ;D ;D ;D

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 15 February 2010, 14:51:45 »

Is that where we went for a couple of pints, before getting soaked walking back to your place?

Yes... bar is nice, but apparently the rooms are not so nice.  :-/

Its a small cost really, when compared to having a 'proffesional' install, parts so far cost £500, so if i spend another £250 on food, beer, curry all around, and put you guys up, its still a cheap conversion, just take another week to reach break even

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 15 February 2010, 14:53:24 »

That's a lot of food/beer/curry  ;D

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 15 February 2010, 14:54:24 »

£30 is for you me and Lazydocker, rest is to fund TB's gut  ;D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 15 February 2010, 14:58:38 »

Buggered if i can remember - I was in a mucking fuddle.
Grumpy old man

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 15 February 2010, 15:00:05 »

Think it was Crown, or one of the pair at the bottom of Halse road (never remember their names)

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 15 February 2010, 15:00:13 »

I could, kind of, walk in a straight line. I remember continuing the consumption at yours, along with playing the wii (while sitting in your tracksuit, if I recall.. )  ;D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 15 February 2010, 15:00:39 »

Alas, my gut is larger than yours, Mr Tunnicliffe, as I do not have the ability (or the stomach) to ensure my beer and curry is not ingested like you do  :-X  ;D

:y  :y  :y
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 15 February 2010, 15:01:58 »

Think it was Crown, or one of the pair at the bottom of Halse road (never remember their names)
Plough & Red Lion.
Grumpy old man

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 15 February 2010, 15:02:23 »

Alas, my gut is larger than yours, Mr Tunnicliffe, as I do not have the ability (or the stomach) to ensure my beer and curry is not ingested like you do  :-X  ;D

:y  :y  :y

Cider was a bad idea!

But offer stands if we can all find a date when everyone is off work, curry and hotel for those that need it  :y

feeutfo

« Reply #39 on: 15 February 2010, 16:01:25 »

Did someone say curry? :)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 15 February 2010, 16:03:46 »

Just getting dates together with James & LD, once we have a time set, your welcome to pop down  :y

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 15 February 2010, 16:04:18 »

The new ECU isn't the Stag 300-Premium/Plus... It's his own design, manufactured in the UK, although he is expecting some Premium/Plus ECU's through soon.

Interesting.. 

So... The tank is moulded around the wheel well? And under or just around?? If it runs under that may pretty much scupper the idea of cutting out the floor, although it will offer extra weather protection ::) ::) ;D ;D

Under and around the back and sides if memory serves...

Hmm. Think I'm tied up for that weekend, but would be happy to pop up if I'm around.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 15 February 2010, 16:21:39 »

I might be free that weekend, I would like to watch and help out if possible for when I finally get round to doing mine if it's not a bother?

I bring the bacon......;D

feeutfo

« Reply #43 on: 15 February 2010, 16:30:43 »

Just getting dates together with James & LD, once we have a time set, your welcome to pop down  :y

happy to help, or keep out the way as aproptiate.
 :y

Ken T

• Omega Baron
  • Stockport
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 15 February 2010, 16:49:24 »

Thats the thing, the only real "engineering " bit is drilling/tapping the manifold, which has to be fairly accurate. As you have my spare one it can be done in advance.  The rest shoud be easy  :y :y :y

Ken
I used to be indecisive; now I'm not so sure...
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 21 queries.