Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Electrics fixed  (Read 976 times)

Dan1005

• Bratislava, Slovakia
    • View Profile
Electrics fixed
« on: 04 March 2010, 21:36:46 »

So as I wrote in a previous thread I broke down the other day with the car blowing one of the engine management fuses...
On wednesday finally found some fuses and replaced them in the car, needless to say it ran really lumpy and had erractic idle.. Seemed like it was struggling to breath on acceleration..
After harrasing my mechanic all day I finally managed to get it in at 5pm, he ran a diagnostic check and it came back that the EGR valve was faulty,, I quick check found the wiring had been a bodge job that had finally burnt out and failed....
an hour and 35 euro late it was completely rewired, light gone and all good..
the drive home was pure bliss, accelerated like a dream.. :)
Beautiful..
still want to sort out this fuses on top of the battery though, since I cant seem to find out any information anywhere... will post a pic tomorrow of how my fuses look, want to see if anyone else has the same set out..

The mechanic told me that the EGR valve may still be close to failing,... any ideas on where I could get a new one for if the need arises??

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: Electrics fixed
« Reply #1 on: 04 March 2010, 21:38:59 »

before investing in a replacement EGR, clean the current one, use some propper paint stripper, leave for a while, then clean out, and repeat once more. I used an old tooth brush.

I got EGR error over a year ago, cleaned it, been good ever since  :y

Dan1005

• Bratislava, Slovakia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 March 2010, 21:43:33 »

Yeah, I was thinking it might have just been the wiring that caused the short circuit.. but mechanic warmed about the EGR valve..

So taking it off and cleaning it out with paint stripper would breath some new light?
Will have to remember that,, thanks..

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04 March 2010, 21:44:24 »

well it fixed mine, won't always work, i had some in the garage so used it. Its worth a go  :y

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04 March 2010, 21:46:41 »

I actually looked in mine today as I remembered your post .. I have 4 x 80 amp and 1 x 30 amp.

3 of the 80 amp are "grouped" together and the 3 wires join in a common loom, then the 30 then the last 80.

This is what it looks like ... lifted from Haynes   (page 12.3 top right)

I can find no written reference in Haynes as to which fuses do what.. :( so I'm trying to follow the wiring diagrams )

They seem to be shown on the first page of the wiring diagrams as a line UNDER the track line and are called "pre-fuses" FV1 - FV6, which show as 5 x 80 amp and 1 x 30 amp

now as far as I can see ...

FV1 (80 amp) - is track 1406/ABS and track 1501/daytime running lights
FV2 (80 amp) - is track 1605/Main Engine Relay and glowplug timer
FV3 (30 amp) - is track 259/Motronic Control Unit   388/Simtec Control Unit    1486/Horn Relay
FV4 (80 amp) - is to the ignition switch
FV5 (80 amp) - is to fuses 1,6,7,10,20,25,27,29 and tracks 939/antitheft alarm  952/antitheft alarm  1161/immobilsor
FV6 (80 amp) - is to fuses 5,12,17,24, 33 (air con)

I believe FV2 is is diesel only  which explains why I have 5 not 6 !!

HTH ... and I hope it's somewhere near right !!!  If anyone wants to check I've used Haynes page 12.41 as the starting point !!!
« Last Edit: 04 March 2010, 22:21:27 by entwood »

Dan1005

• Bratislava, Slovakia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04 March 2010, 21:49:21 »

Entwood, where yours has a 50 mine is currently running a 30.. we replaced it today at the mechanic has he reckoned the green colour would mean the green 30 fuse should go in it...
Mine has the exact same layout,, and I have found no reference to what they should hold,, just that they controll all aspects of the running of the car...
my haynes makes no mention of them that I can find.. :(... and the mechanics car information program had nothing about it either.. strange really..

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04 March 2010, 22:19:35 »

Entwood, where yours has a 50 mine is currently running a 30.. we replaced it today at the mechanic has he reckoned the green colour would mean the green 30 fuse should go in it...
Mine has the exact same layout,, and I have found no reference to what they should hold,, just that they controll all aspects of the running of the car...
my haynes makes no mention of them that I can find.. :(... and the mechanics car information program had nothing about it either.. strange really..

Been and checked .. its a 30   as per the book  :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 18 queries.