Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: LPG Flat Spot seems to have been cured  (Read 3503 times)

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
LPG Flat Spot seems to have been cured
« on: 01 March 2010, 16:45:26 »

At per the title... After quite a long chat with Teilo last week I've lowered the Vaporiser pressure to about 1.1 BAR at idle and re-mapped it... Moved the switchover back to petrol to 6500 RPM, floored it and was a pretty smooth change 1st to 2nd. Tried it several times and it seems to have cured it :y :y :y

Also seems to have improved the drive considerably :y :y :y

Chris, had a quick chat about your issues and he suggested trying to drop the pressure as I have, although the issue could well be the multi-valve not flowing enough gas... He may be able to do something but very fiddly!
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Re: LPG Flat Spot seems to have been cured
« Reply #1 on: 01 March 2010, 17:08:29 »

Hmm. Interesting. Will have to try that. :y

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 March 2010, 17:15:25 »

Kevin

As you know, I have tried quite a few different pressure settings and this seems to be the best so far :y :y

Teilo is also trialing some new injectors... I may get a set through the post to try for him ::) ::)

There is also a good deal to be had for anyone thinking of converting... He has had his own kit made, ECU etc, and is after people to fit it and test it for him. It's been successfully installed on some 1000 vehicles so far and is offering a substantial discount to anyone who wishes to fit it and try it out for him, on the condition he gets the feedback, good, bad or ugly! :y

feeutfo

« Reply #3 on: 01 March 2010, 18:54:25 »

thanks for posting LD. Will let the lappy chat to it and give it a go. See what happens.

I think i mentioned in a previous pm that i found the pressure to be running at 1.1 when i was expecting 1.2 . Was not calibrated at 1.1 though so obviusly need to try as you suggest.

Thanks again. :y

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01 March 2010, 18:57:27 »

Kevin

As you know, I have tried quite a few different pressure settings and this seems to be the best so far :y :y

Teilo is also trialing some new injectors... I may get a set through the post to try for him ::) ::)

There is also a good deal to be had for anyone thinking of converting... He has had his own kit made, ECU etc, and is after people to fit it and test it for him. It's been successfully installed on some 1000 vehicles so far and is offering a substantial discount to anyone who wishes to fit it and try it out for him, on the condition he gets the feedback, good, bad or ugly! :y

As a tight Jock, might be interested.

What ballpark figure for a V6 3.2 ??

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01 March 2010, 19:18:04 »

Kevin

I have the new 'non drill' type injector adapters.  They dont fit on a V6 intake (fortunatley he provided the traditional type as well).  Mine are still Valtek injectors though.

Good nes about the pressure, that may help.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01 March 2010, 19:18:42 »

Kevin

You will need to decide on tanks first, as that can make a huge difference
Grumpy old man

feeutfo

« Reply #7 on: 01 March 2010, 19:22:32 »

Kevin

assumimg you want a donut in spare wheel well in your estate? range could be an issue in remote parts, how close is your nearest lpg station?

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01 March 2010, 19:24:08 »

Kevin

Thought you may be ::) ::)

Don't know yet but I've been looking for my replacement estate (if I get it)... Actually, I'll PM you my best guess as it's not fair to post publicly ;) ;)

Tank size is your biggest issue... I've looked at lots of options but can't seem to find anything bigger than 60L to fit in the wheel well, and that includes raising the boot floor by about an inch (bit of 1" ply cut to fit floor with wheel well cut out ;)) which is a range of about 200 miles, less if towing :( :(

Considered all sorts, including cutting out the bottom of the wheel well :o :o but can't see anything bigger fitting without going down the custom petrol tank route :-/ :-/

« Last Edit: 01 March 2010, 19:32:02 by Lazydocker »

Ken T

• Omega Baron
  • Stockport
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 01 March 2010, 23:53:22 »

Could I add a slight word of caution. The manpower required to design/test/ production engineer/write software/ source all parts for an ECU is quite large, you would need quite a large team to do it properly/well/reliably. And if you look at the price they are being sold for, ( a Stag front end kit for £140 ish ) there isn't much profit in there, not enough to fund all that R & D. It might be reliable, but if its fitted like the OMVL N stuff, it mimicks the Petrol ECU and controls the petrol injectors, so if it dies, so will the car. We're talking safety critical here.

The Stag stuff must be bad/ not enough profit  for him to change supplier.

Ken
« Last Edit: 01 March 2010, 23:56:44 by Ken_T »
I used to be indecisive; now I'm not so sure...

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 02 March 2010, 08:21:12 »

Could I add a slight word of caution. The manpower required to design/test/ production engineer/write software/ source all parts for an ECU is quite large, you would need quite a large team to do it properly/well/reliably. And if you look at the price they are being sold for, ( a Stag front end kit for £140 ish ) there isn't much profit in there, not enough to fund all that R & D. It might be reliable, but if its fitted like the OMVL N stuff, it mimicks the Petrol ECU and controls the petrol injectors, so if it dies, so will the car. We're talking safety critical here.

Ken

Nope... But he has had his own kit made and released... It's all about name and profit I agree, but he has taken the best parts of several kits (by the sound of it) and combined them into one :y :y

Oh... And nearly all LPG ECUs "Piggy back" on the petrol ECU... It's the norm otherwise they would have to be vehicle specific ;) ;) If it dies (as mine did a few weeks back) it doesn't stop the car working, the petrol injectors are directly connected and the LPG ECU only cuts the signal when live :y

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 02 March 2010, 09:05:28 »

Ken

I disagree.

Complex its not, and its only a basic microcontroller which many serious hobbiests can handle. Add some testing in etc and its the sort of thing a single compitent engineer could do in sub 12 months without to much of a challenge.

Then chuck it at an outsource company (such as Flextronics, Sanmena, Solectron, Jabil etc.....) and they will source all parts, build and test in return for some VA markup.

I would guess, in 1-10K quantities, that it would come in at around 70-80 quid.....and if you got into the millions at sub 30!

feeutfo

« Reply #12 on: 02 March 2010, 12:53:20 »

ok, set to 1.1 and recalibrated, certainly massively improved. Tick over seems smoother, and on a full tank of gas the gear changes seem fine on a 5 minute blast. Sudden lift off from full throttle is far better but not quite as smooth as on petrol, acceptable though.

Will see how it goes as the tank empties.

Still switching back though, no change on that score.

Thanks LD

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 02 March 2010, 12:59:26 »

ok, set to 1.1 and recalibrated, certainly massively improved. Tick over seems smoother, and on a full tank of gas the gear changes seem fine on a 5 minute blast. Sudden lift off from full throttle is far better but not quite as smooth as on petrol, acceptable though.

Thanks LD

Under hard acceleration? If so it sounds like the limits of the multivalve have been found :( :(

You may only have a 6mm pick up pipe which can be changed to 8mm, which would raise the limits of flow a little but is very fiddly. Is it still only doing it once you have used some of the fuel from the tank and OK when first filled? If so it does all point towards the flow rate from the multivalve :(

feeutfo

« Reply #14 on: 02 March 2010, 14:30:34 »

Thanks LD

Under hard acceleration? If so it sounds like the limits of the multivalve have been found :( :(

You may only have a 6mm pick up pipe which can be changed to 8mm, which would raise the limits of flow a little but is very fiddly. Is it still only doing it once you have used some of the fuel from the tank and OK when first filled? If so it does all point towards the flow rate from the multivalve :(
sounds likely from what your saying, its far less likely to  switch back with a full tank, and gets peogressivly worse until empty...?
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 18 queries.