Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: LPG Flat Spot seems to have been cured  (Read 3502 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: LPG Flat Spot seems to have been cured
« Reply #30 on: 05 March 2010, 09:30:13 »

Won't it detect lean running, an pop back to petrol?
No - it only monitors the vapour pressure so if that pressure is not able to deliver enough fuel through the injectors...
Drill the injectors out more if it does?
I think we're at the max. at 3mm. Then again, according to the documentation that's supposed to be good for more than 200 BHP @ 1 BAR.  :-/

Kevin
Can the injectors take more - ie, just a case of new brass bits (presumably both ends - injector and manifold), or new injectors?

Or is the whole thing some kind of flaw with the vapouriser?
Grumpy old man

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 05 March 2010, 09:49:43 »

Won't it detect lean running, an pop back to petrol?
No - it only monitors the vapour pressure so if that pressure is not able to deliver enough fuel through the injectors...
Drill the injectors out more if it does?
I think we're at the max. at 3mm. Then again, according to the documentation that's supposed to be good for more than 200 BHP @ 1 BAR.  :-/

Kevin
Can the injectors take more - ie, just a case of new brass bits (presumably both ends - injector and manifold), or new injectors?

Or is the whole thing some kind of flaw with the vapouriser?

I've offered to try out a new type of injector for him, which is supposed to be more responsive. At present I'm getting "Injectors Fully Open at WOT" but it's staying rich (high voltage) :y Teilo Did say that he feels the software is a little anal about it ;) ;)

The trouble with the injectors is that they are effectively an electronically operated valve, which opens against the flow of the LPG, hence increasing the pressure wasn't the answer :y :y

As it stands at the moment I've got settings I am much happier with and I'm going to see how it behaves over the next couple of tank fulls before fettling again :y :y
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 05 March 2010, 10:00:31 »

The injectors are actually specced to 4.5 BAR so, I must admit, I'm wondering why there's so much trouble with them at 1.25 BAR.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 05 March 2010, 10:10:32 »

The injectors are actually specced to 4.5 BAR so, I must admit, I'm wondering why there's so much trouble with them at 1.25 BAR.

Kevin

He said that although they are specced higher (I asked the same question!) it's really a Max pressure and they seem to work better at lower pressure and they're also very noisy at high pressure.

It certainly seems to run a lkot more sweetly now at a lower pressure and, although I did manage to get some lag yesterday, I was giving really "giving it large" ::) ::)

He's talking about trialling some Matrix style injectors, which are a metal flap instead of a "Valve" (or something like that) which are more responsive :y :y

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 05 March 2010, 10:17:34 »

Kevin

He said that although they are specced higher (I asked the same question!) it's really a Max pressure and they seem to work better at lower pressure and they're also very noisy at high pressure.

It certainly seems to run a lkot more sweetly now at a lower pressure and, although I did manage to get some lag yesterday, I was giving really "giving it large" ::) ::)

He's talking about trialling some Matrix style injectors, which are a metal flap instead of a "Valve" (or something like that) which are more responsive :y :y

Will be interesting to see how they fair. Open/close time on those Valkek injectors is a bit lazy. With 3.3ms opening time and 2.2 ms closing time they aren't well suited to 6K rpm use, TBH. (you have 20ms between power strokes at 6000 RPM)

It also doesn't say at what pressure the open / close times are specified.

Maybe the best way is just to set the pressure so they end up "fully open" from about 5.5k RPM onwards. Then it's not an issue, as long as the engine doesn't go lean.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 05 March 2010, 11:05:02 »

Maybe the best way is just to set the pressure so they end up "fully open" from about 5.5k RPM onwards. Then it's not an issue, as long as the engine doesn't go lean.

Kevin

Exactly how mine is currently set. Like I said, he did comment that the software is a little anal about it ::)

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 05 March 2010, 15:34:50 »

Kin ell, those injectors are a bit naff......I must admit, they always did look like they had been recovered from used washing machines....

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 05 March 2010, 15:36:46 »

Kin ell, those injectors are a bit naff......I must admit, they always did look like they had been recovered from used washing machines....

Yep... Still don't think LPG systems have been perfected and Dual Fuel is always going to be a compromise as the timing needs to be so different for LPG compared to Petrol

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 05 March 2010, 16:30:05 »

For comparison, a petrol injector, driven properly, will have sub-1ms open/close times.

Kevin
« Last Edit: 05 March 2010, 16:30:15 by Kevin_Wood »

Martin_1962

« Reply #39 on: 06 March 2010, 09:35:58 »

The Romano injectors are plastic and use a flap so are supposed to be quicker and quieter.

They are also OK to use without a filter.

But they do not like going over 2 bar
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 19 queries.