Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Will our car radios become obsolete in 2015?  (Read 2485 times)

mudflap

• Intermediate Member
  • NW London UK
  • My Green Goddess
    • View Profile
Will our car radios become obsolete in 2015?
« on: 30 March 2010, 09:25:18 »

One of the last bastions of analogue sources, the humble AM/FM radio, is to be shut down in 2015, though manufacturers and retailers are still happily selling radio sets that will become obsolete. 

http://new.uk.music.yahoo.com/blogs/touchingthevoid/28943/is-this-the-end-of-your-radio/

Hope we're not stuck with DAB !
« Last Edit: 30 March 2010, 09:26:02 by mudflap »
If it's got tits or wheels  it's bound to give you trouble   

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Re: Will our car radios become obsolete in 2015?
« Reply #1 on: 30 March 2010, 09:32:43 »

I didn't think the government had actually committed to a switch-off of analogue radio?

Given that DrAB (certainly as implemented in this country) seems to have lost most of its' backing I wonder if it will ever happen.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

feeutfo

« Reply #2 on: 30 March 2010, 09:42:08 »

From what i hear Dabs rubbish, esp when moving.

...and how do you convert an analogue radio to Dab?
« Last Edit: 30 March 2010, 09:44:01 by chrisgixer »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 March 2010, 10:11:18 »

I didn't think the government had actually committed to a switch-off of analogue radio?

Given that DrAB (certainly as implemented in this country) seems to have lost most of its' backing I wonder if it will ever happen.

Kevin
And you think that would stop this government from culling it?
Grumpy old man

mudflap

• Intermediate Member
  • NW London UK
  • My Green Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30 March 2010, 10:12:12 »

Hopefully the proposal will be shelved following protests from analogue groups and the public at large, as there could be many more AM/FM radios tucked away in workshops and garages all over the country - but the TV change is definitely coming in 2012, and i still can't get my 86 year old mum to use the digital remote!!  ::)

« Last Edit: 30 March 2010, 10:12:33 by mudflap »

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30 March 2010, 10:35:35 »

but the TV change is definitely coming in 2012, and i still can't get my 86 year old mum to use the digital remote!!  ::)

It's already here, the analogue has already been switched off up here.  ;)

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30 March 2010, 11:07:42 »

I don't want to reignite an old argument but the DAB radio I had in my last car was excellent. The only reason it hasn't been installed in my new car yet is the BOSE amp that takes up half the boot. I'm guessing you either havn't heard a DAB in a car or it was a cr*p installation.

Pure Highway?

There don't seem to be any new DAB radios about so I'm guessing that the manufacturers are betting on DAB+ taking over soon. My understanding is that HiFi quality is possible with DAB but I imagine there will be pressure to squeeze lots of poor quality channels in to maximise revenue.  :(
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30 March 2010, 11:07:47 »

And you think that would stop this government from culling it?

It's worse than that. We're getting into Ofcom's territory here. And I've never experienced a more incompetent bunch of batsrads. They make the government look competent and squeaky clean. :-X

but the TV change is definitely coming in 2012, and i still can't get my 86 year old mum to use the digital remote!! 

The difference being that digital TV has brought significant benefits to the consumer. Better picture quality, on the whole, more channels, a handful of which are actually watchable, the possibility of some HD'ish content, decent DPG functionality so you don't have to go through the pain of teletext just to see what's on next, etc...

Give the consumer enough carrots and they'll switch over happily.

DAB (as implemented in the UK) is already obsolete, so many of the DAB sets already sold will have to be binned sooner or later. It gives worse sound quality than analogue FM, before you try to cram in more channels. DAB+ might give you more channels per unit bandwidth with today's poor sound quality but at the expense of compatibility with the earlier DAB sets.

Even if you give the customer more channels, someone has to provide content, and airtime on DAB is expensive so they are all bailing out.

Meanwhile, anywhere there's an internet connection you can listen to practically any radio station in the world at DAB or better levels of sound quality using a PC or Wi-Fi radio. Any "digital radio" I buy will be going down this route, not DAB.

.. Which just leaves car audio. Cars have a lifetime of 15 years or so, so DAB can take over 15 years after cars are being equipped 100% with DAB radios from new. When will that be?

DAB was rushed out in the UK based on a promise that it would relinquish bandwidth that OFCOM could make a fortune out of selling. Had we taken a more considered approach we might have spotted the fact that it's a white elephant and that the last bandwidth selloff left a lot of fingers burnt, so the silly bidding is unlikely to be repeated - especially at 100MHz where it's not that useful for cellular networks.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

david_omega

« Reply #8 on: 30 March 2010, 11:11:32 »

i guess you just get a dab adaptor like the ipod adaptors,  has its own display stuck on the dash, and broadcasts within 12ft, i.e. to your head unit.

I think there is already one on the market from harman/kardon not sure tho will look

ok,  the HIGHWAY by PURE is coming out for about £70 doing what i said above

http://www.pure.com/Factsheets/VL-60905.pdf

david_omega

« Reply #9 on: 30 March 2010, 11:12:28 »

i like the fact it says using an obsolete fm in your area, or something like that!

I am guessing they will all be obsolete then! lol

feeutfo

« Reply #10 on: 30 March 2010, 11:21:06 »

I don't want to reignite an old argument but the DAB radio I had in my last car was excellent. The only reason it hasn't been installed in my new car yet is the BOSE amp that takes up half the boot. I'm guessing you either havn't heard a DAB in a car or it was a cr*p installation.

Pure Highway?

There don't seem to be any new DAB radios about so I'm guessing that the manufacturers are betting on DAB+ taking over soon. My understanding is that HiFi quality is possible with DAB but I imagine there will be pressure to squeeze lots of poor quality channels in to maximise revenue.  :(
hear from others, not hear first hand. So no i havent heard  :D

mudflap

• Intermediate Member
  • NW London UK
  • My Green Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 30 March 2010, 14:48:32 »

The Lords communications committee reports on Guardian website..

"there will be as many as 100m radios that are no longer required once digital switchover has occurred – though many people may decide to hold onto their old radios to listen to the local and community FM stations that will spring up once the national stations have moved to digital."

bags i Radio Harrow for Prog!  8-)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010/mar/29/digital-radio-switchover-scrappage
« Last Edit: 30 March 2010, 14:49:32 by mudflap »

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 30 March 2010, 14:56:06 »

"there will be as many as 100m radios that are no longer required once digital switchover has occurred – though many people may decide to hold onto their old radios to listen to the local and community FM stations that will spring up once the national stations have moved to digital."

I read that another way: national stations will no longer be listened to after the digital switchover.

No bad thing, as they are bad enough now and getting worse IMHO.

Kevin

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 30 March 2010, 15:30:35 »

This is pretty ill thought out.

Tv has one other advantage and that is the fact that the average life of a TV is around 8-10 years........for radios, its double this!

Hence, we have been going digital for 10+ years now on the Tv services and the transition has been relatively smooth thanks to the short(ish) life of the average set.

2woody

• Omega Baron
  • Northumberland
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 30 March 2010, 16:16:02 »

I have DAB in three of my cars, including (ahem) a very quiet one. I'm delighted with it.

the reception is better than FM

the sound quality is loads better, too.

they could turn off FM tomorrow for me.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 18 queries.