Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Lights off with ignition?  (Read 4788 times)

Dean

• Weston Super Mare - UK
    • View Profile
Re: Lights off with ignition?
« Reply #15 on: 28 April 2007, 15:49:34 »

I like those sort of things...wish someone could figure out the electric and post a how to?
Free Traffic law advice  - Just PM or see the sticky thread in General Chat ! http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1177278724 - no liability accepted

Iainv6

• Kinross
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 19 September 2007, 20:30:49 »

Sorry to revive such an old thread,but i have to say that i have broken down a few times at night,and had to walk to phone box's(dead mobile battery etc.)
If i can't leave the lights on because i want to take my keys and lock up the car,then i run the risk of having some poor unfortunate road user run into it.
Light's going off when you remove the key is a nice idea,as long as you can over-ride it in an emergancy. ;)

Dazzler

• Omega Baron
  • Haverhill, Suffolk
  • Drive it like you stole it......
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 19 September 2007, 21:18:56 »

iT IS ACTUALLY PART OF AN mot NOW THAT THE SIDE LIGHTS MUST WORK WITH IGNITION OFF, else it will fail. I also seem to recall in the Highway Code that in certain emergency conditions that the side lights must be on with ignition off.
Big jobbies now finished.....Now running on LPG

Danny

• Omega Lord
  • Wigan, Greater Manchester
  • BLACK 1.6 BORA SHAPED JETTA!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 19 September 2007, 21:42:43 »

but the lights on a punto go off when the ignition is switched off, does that mean that pre 99V they'll all fail?

Iainv6

• Kinross
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 19 September 2007, 21:47:33 »

iT IS ACTUALLY PART OF AN mot NOW THAT THE SIDE LIGHTS MUST WORK WITH IGNITION OFF, else it will fail. I also seem to recall in the Highway Code that in certain emergency conditions that the side lights must be on with ignition off.

That is right (i think),but what was being suggested here was,that when you take the key out of the ignition the lights go off.

Now,when you're key is IN the ignition,but at the off posistion,then i think that constitutes 'ignition off',so if the lights stay on in that position,then no MOT failure.

But if you had modified the electrics to then turn off the lights when the key is removed,and make it impossible to have them on without inserting the key again,then that would be unsafe in an accident or breakdown.

I don't know the ins and outs of the law about this one,but the Police say that if you break down on the motorway at night,you must leave you're lights on after leaving the car.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 20 September 2007, 17:02:31 »

On all the cars that I have seen on which the headlights turn off with the ignition, only the headlight filaments turn off. Sidelights and tail lights remain on.

The only benefit is that it will take a little longer to flatten your battery if you leave the lights on.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

VX1

• Omega Baron
  • Reading, Berkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 20 September 2007, 18:38:49 »

My wifes Astra (2005 plate) does this. When you take the key out of the ignition the lights go off, but when you unlock the car the lights come on for a short period of time until you have got in the car. This should be fitted on all cars as standard.
« Last Edit: 20 September 2007, 18:39:20 by vauxhallomega1 »
Vx Trade club card holder
Halfords trade card holder
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 18 queries.