Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tow bar wiring plug  (Read 3610 times)

Weds

• Chatham, Kent
  • My other hobby
    • Mercedes E class 350 CDi
    • View Profile
Tow bar wiring plug
« on: 25 May 2007, 15:45:51 »

I'm fitting a towbar to my 2003 Estate and having a few problems with Vx parts Dept. I've found the fitted plug for the 12N wiring socket behind the jack in the wheel well but does anyone know the part number I require.

The parts dept kept telling me I needed 91128944 which is for the 12S socket. I think I need 9193983 for the 12N but they said that's not for my car.

And do i really need the check control ? (90513262)

Cheers
Pete

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Re: Tow bar wiring plug
« Reply #1 on: 25 May 2007, 16:09:41 »

Can't help on the plug. I took one look at it, decided it'd be costly and a pain to source and gave it the chop.  :o

The check control is proably the current sensing element for the brake lights. If you don't fit it, the brake light wiring to the socket will not work but you can always just bridge 2 pins on the socket for this device if necessary, or wire the brake lights to one of the rear light clusters. It's a right pain to find. Turned out mine's (2002 saloon) behind and to the left of the glove compartment along with another relay.

Beware that the fog light supply to the lights on the car will be broken if you insert a plug into the towbar pre-wiring socket so whatever you connect must bridge these two connections, in theory by a switch in the 12N towing socket iself to disable the fogs when towing.

It was pretty straightforward once I'd worked out where everything was.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

ffcgary1

• Omega Baron
  • Mitcham,Surrey.
  • I really must get my eyes seen to.
    • Omega Estate/ jaguar XJ6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 June 2007, 18:36:03 »

I have been to my local vx dealer today to get the plug and play loom for my 97 plate estate,only to be told that it is no longer avalible from vx so will have to hard wire into the loom to the rear light clusters.When i looked at my electrics last week i could not find the trailer plug behind the jack.but for further ref to all others out there,it is also found behind the trim panel on the rear passenger quater panel.Regards Gary.
Elite leather, cruise control, 3.0ltr cams, gas flowed 3.0ltr inlet manifold, 4 bar fuel pressure regulator, rear side window demisters, rear electric windows. projectors /HID'S, h/l washers.
Jaguar XJ6

jonny2112

• Omega Baron
  • Bangor NI
    • 2.6 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04 June 2007, 22:59:13 »

Is the tow bar feed permanent live? I'm thinking of adding some auxiliary power sockets (cig lighters) into the boot and would like them permanently fed.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04 June 2007, 23:26:39 »

Is the tow bar feed permanent live? I'm thinking of adding some auxiliary power sockets (cig lighters) into the boot and would like them permanently fed.

Yes. You just need to put a fuse in. Can't remember the fuse number but it's the 4th in from the left on the top row.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05 June 2007, 09:44:12 »

Yes. You just need to put a fuse in. Can't remember the fuse number but it's the 4th in from the left on the top row.

It's the thick brown (or red?) wire going into the towing connector. I think mine was already live and fed from a fuse (no 29 IIRC?) shared with other circuits. Information tends to vary on this so maybe it changed with model year.

Certainly a good candidate for powering stuff in the boot as long as you don't want more than about 10 amps I'd say.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05 June 2007, 10:07:06 »

It's the thick brown (or red?) wire going into the towing connector. I think mine was already live and fed from a fuse (no 29 IIRC?) shared with other circuits. Information tends to vary on this so maybe it changed with model year.

Certainly a good candidate for powering stuff in the boot as long as you don't want more than about 10 amps I'd say.

Kevin
It's red (Vauxhalls tend to use brown as the earth/ground/zero volts)
I've just looked properly and when I said 4th from the left I meant right!  :-[ And you're right, it's fuse 29, although the Owner's manual suggests that it ONLY feeds the caravan.

Off back out on to sort my trailer socket out. I've connected the blue/black (fog light) & black of the GM trailer 8 core cable 4r$e about face, so when I connect the 12N not only does it disconect the car's fog lights but it also disconnects the caravan's fog light!  :-[

jonny2112

• Omega Baron
  • Bangor NI
    • 2.6 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07 June 2007, 00:10:57 »

Thanks for the advice re the auxiliary power supply. I'm going to have a good look round at the weekend and see if I can find the plug to start with, as mine is pre facelift. Would there be any issues with using this supply for something other than its original purpose, perhaps with the ecu? Then I'll have to find the sockets and decide how to wire them in!

jonny2112

• Omega Baron
  • Bangor NI
    • 2.6 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17 June 2007, 16:25:32 »

The weather prevented me from having a good look this weekend when as I was off, but I'll get to it soon. I hope to install the socket to run a coolbox and a portable dvd player for the kids. Kevin mentioned a potential figure of about 10 amps, so how do I confirm running these electrical items will be possible?
Cheers

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 17 June 2007, 20:43:05 »

so how do I confirm running these electrical items will be possible?
Cheers

... cos fuse 29 (caravan costant current supply)  is rated 20A  ;)

Weds

• Chatham, Kent
  • My other hobby
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 17 June 2007, 23:19:36 »

so how do I confirm running these electrical items will be possible?
Cheers

... cos fuse 29 (caravan costant current supply)  is rated 20A  ;)

On a facelift its F5..

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 17 June 2007, 23:49:00 »

On a facelift its F5..

Ah! I never thought of that! :( Good to see that you've got your finger on the pulse though!  ;D  ;D

Pitchfork

• Omega Baron
  • Tadley (near Basingrad)
  • Barndances & Morris
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 14 July 2007, 10:12:14 »

I am going to fit a tow bar to my 96 TD Estate
The parts that I have been quoted as needed by local VX Agent are:
90566983 (Tow Bar)
93165099 (Single Socket + Wiring loom)
93165103 (Control Unit)
My question is what is the 'Control Unit'? Is it a relay of some sort, if so where is it fitted etc.
Any other advise on fitting?
IW
Almost famous!   www.pitchforkband.co.uk Guitar & PA Amps repaired & serviced
Ears pierced while you wait. PAT & Valve testing

Wazz

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 19 September 2007, 15:10:09 »

Hello Pete

Have found the correct part for you from my local Vx dealer it is 9131400 which just plugs into the car’s loom (as per your pic) and comes out on the new 13 pin Euro type connector which will give you all the extras. I will just by an adapter if I need the 12N and S type plugs. I just plugged it in and everything worked, apart from the green bulb in the dash! I would think it would be the same for an estate, as I have a 2003 saloon, and it is described for use with the detachable type tow bar, which I have.  I did also purchase a control unit (red) part no  93165103 but it looks like i don’t need it, needless to say I cant find anywhere in the car to plug it in, I think it is for the old model Omega?? Anybody know this for certain?

Waz

HI2DVY

• Intermediate Member
  • Deepest Darkest, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 20 September 2007, 16:45:36 »

According to the installation instructions for Vauxhalls Universal Towing Electrics Kit... The part numbers required are as follows:-

91145850 - Base Kit 7 Pin 12n

91149320 - Adaptor Kit (Omega- Square Plug to Reinshagen plug)

I could copy and post up the fitting instructions for the 12s and 12n kits if anyone is interested.

Dave
some day.....

Weds

• Chatham, Kent
  • My other hobby
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 20 September 2007, 18:42:16 »

Hello Pete

Have found the correct part for you from my local Vx dealer it is 9131400 which just plugs into the car’s loom (as per your pic) and comes out on the new 13 pin Euro type connector which will give you all the extras. I will just by an adapter if I need the 12N and S type plugs. I just plugged it in and everything worked, apart from the green bulb in the dash! I would think it would be the same for an estate, as I have a 2003 saloon, and it is described for use with the detachable type tow bar, which I have.  I did also purchase a control unit (red) part no  93165103 but it looks like i don’t need it, needless to say I cant find anywhere in the car to plug it in, I think it is for the old model Omega?? Anybody know this for certain?

Waz

Thanks Waz

I gave up in the end and chopped the plug off and used crimp connectors (not scotch locks)

I had to pick up the brake lights from the rear light fitting.
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 18 queries.