Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: MOT/Tax exempt  (Read 2507 times)

hoofing it

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
MOT/Tax exempt
« on: 22 March 2014, 20:57:47 »

Is a classic car that's 30yrs old MOT exempt now and has the free road tax been brought back for cars that are over 25 :-\

aaronjb

Re: MOT/Tax exempt
« Reply #1 on: 22 March 2014, 20:59:14 »

Road tax will be on a 40 year rolling exemption from next year (I think, or possibly this April .. was announced in this years budget anyway) so 1974 and earlier, currently 1973 IIRC.

MOT stuff has yet to be decided I believe, the EU want us in line with them (exempt over 30 years old) but I doubt VOSA want that to happen..

annihilator

• Wirral
    • 2 Jags XKR/JR
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 March 2014, 21:49:28 »

mot exemption is currently for vehicles built pre 1960.

b4ndit

• Omega Knight
  • chester
  • Retired
    • VW Phaeton
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 March 2014, 21:50:52 »

mot exemption is currently for vehicles built pre 1960.
:y :y

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22 March 2014, 21:51:47 »

Road tax will be on a 40 year rolling exemption from next year (I think, or possibly this April .. was announced in this years budget anyway) so 1974 and earlier, currently 1973 IIRC.

MOT stuff has yet to be decided I believe, the EU want us in line with them (exempt over 30 years old) but I doubt VOSA want that to happen..

Is that right? It might explain some jalopies we see here in Spain that cannot possibly have got an MOT. I just assumed the owners take a chance on getting stopped. The fine (for first offence) is LESS than the cost of the test which is 45 euros. Mind you along with raising the speed limit they have also increased penalties this week.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

symes

• Omega Baron
  • oxford
  • Madness is a state of i dont mind
    • R reg 940 volvo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 March 2014, 20:55:16 »

well its fine having a car excempt from mot--but would still take mine -for safety's sake-rover is 49yrs old (1965) and consul is 52 yrs (1962)
1998 volvo 940 turbo 225bhp +1965 Rover 5000 v8+ 1962 ford consul 375 lowrider

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24 March 2014, 22:10:37 »

well its fine having a car excempt from mot--but would still take mine -for safety's sake-rover is 49yrs old (1965) and consul is 52 yrs (1962)

I quite agree, and so do, as I understand, the insurance companies....... :y :y

AndyRoid

• Hants
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 27 March 2014, 07:44:13 »

The MOT gives no indication of whether a vehicle is safe to use or not, all it proves is that certain items met a required standard at the time the test was conducted.

In short, it's not worth the paper it's written on.

Keith ABS

• Omega Baron
  • Maldon Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 27 March 2014, 07:51:34 »

So, what is the new change for road tax then? Wondering if the Monza now comes in to it
Keith B

aaronjb

« Reply #9 on: 27 March 2014, 09:13:55 »

There's good news for classic car owners in the 2014 budget. From April 2014, the classic car exemption from VED will begin rolling from 40 years, with cars built before January 1974 eligible for a zero-rated tax disc. Then, from January 2015, the formerly fixed cut-off, will become a rolling one.

http://classics.honestjohn.co.uk/news/general-news/2014-03/classic-car-road-tax-exemption-now-rolling-at-40-years/

Keith ABS

• Omega Baron
  • Maldon Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 27 March 2014, 10:18:17 »

Oh well, road tax to pay formthe next 12 years then
Keith B

cam2502

• Omega Baron
  • dumfries,scotland
    • 08 BMW 520d & 03 Saab 95
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 27 March 2014, 10:39:36 »

The MOT gives no indication of whether a vehicle is safe to use or not, all it proves is that certain items met a required standard at the time the test was conducted.

That's  a contradiction in terms surely?
If its been MOT'd and passed, then that's saying that the likes of tyres, brakes, lights etc are all up to standard, so therefor safe.
Ok there's an argument that they won't remain safe in the year that follows, but obviously they are safer than a car that hasn't been MOT'd at all.

AndyRoid

• Hants
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 27 March 2014, 15:16:28 »

That's  a contradiction in terms surely?
If its been MOT'd and passed, then that's saying that the likes of tyres, brakes, lights etc are all up to standard, so therefor safe.
Ok there's an argument that they won't remain safe in the year that follows, but obviously they are safer than a car that hasn't been MOT'd at all.
Just because the tyres, etc are good, it doesn't mean the rest of the vehicle is good.

Take a pair of sills, if they have a plastic cover on then the MOT tester is not allowed to remove it to check the sills (and therefore vehicle structure) are actually sound.
Cover a rusting floorpan with enough filler/fiberglass and Shultz and it'll pass, simply because the MOT tester isn't allowed to start properly prodding around and looking properly.
The MOT covers the bare basics for the duration of the test period only, hardly a real contribution to road safety IMHO.

cam2502

• Omega Baron
  • dumfries,scotland
    • 08 BMW 520d & 03 Saab 95
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 28 March 2014, 15:50:34 »

Agreed, and I'm not arguing that point, merely stating that if it has recently passed an MOT then certain areas of the car MUST be safe and therefor more safe than a car that has not been MOT'd in awhile.

AndyRoid

• Hants
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 28 March 2014, 18:00:30 »

Agreed, and I'm not arguing that point, merely stating that if it has recently passed an MOT then certain areas of the car MUST be safe and therefor more safe than a car that has not been MOT'd in awhile.
I know what you mean, but just because the testable items pass it doesn't automatically follow that the vehicle is safe to use or even in a roadworthy condition.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 21 queries.