Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Fatal Road Traffic Accident  (Read 4686 times)

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
Fatal Road Traffic Accident
« on: 27 December 2007, 22:44:17 »

I've been in a few crap situations in the 7 years I've been driving, but I've never, ever come across anything like this in my life.

I wasn't involved in any way, but tonight I witnessed first hand an extremely serious RTA involving two cars. I believe it was between a Pug 307 and a Citroen Saxo, but the cars were literally unrecognisable.

The accident happened between Caldicot and Newport. The Pug was the culprit, it contained three lads, coming from the opposite direction, at breakneck speed. Just lost control on the bend, and literally wiped out the Saxo (And it's teenage law abiding female driver)

A group of us ran out to both of the wreckages to try and help, and call the services. Unfortunately I doubt the lads in the Pug in the have a chance, I have never seen such a mess of a car and when the fire service arrived they were cutting it open. One man was spraying that car with a fire extinguisher before they arrived, lots of smoke.

While they were helping the pug, I focused my attention on the other car. The Saxo, whilst in a severe mess, was not quite as bad, and we were able to get the girl (who was driving alone) free of the car. She was in an extremely bad way too, definately had a broken leg, and difficulty breathing and keeping concious.  Thankfully I am first aid trained, and I was able to use my first aid skills as best as I could  until the rapid response paramedic arrived. They told me I did right, which is a reassurance. She is in a critical condition with suspected internal injuries, I will be praying for her.

I'm really shaken up, thought it might help to note it down. Also good to note down asap at the time, because it's fresh in mind, and I'm likely to want to refer to it when talking to police.

It's changed my mind about joining the Force too. Whilst I think I acted really well at the scene, it's really eating into me now and it's not something I will ever forget. It's not something I think I could do regularly. Trafpol is clearly not about driving fast cars, there are some extremely grim aspects.

I have passed on my details to one of the attending officer that requested them. He took notes from me at the time, but he said I may need to be contacted again.

Please think about killing your speed - it only takes something like this and it can all be over. Also, please pray for the victims, especially the innocent young lady.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: Fatal Road Traffic Accident
« Reply #1 on: 27 December 2007, 22:57:33 »

bloody hell you have been in a few situations of late James, most exciting thing to happen to me on the roads is almost / hopefull not get done by a speed van!

Makes me feel bit more secure being in a BIG car, but point taken  :y

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 December 2007, 22:59:18 »

Never a nice situation to be in .. sounds like you did pretty well considering the pressure you were under.

It is normal to feel pretty rotten after such an incident, and the mind dwells on the "what else could/should I have done" .. the answer is .. nothing .. at the time you did your best.. it may have saved 1 life.. for that be  "happy" if that is the right term.

As to "putting you off" .. the police don't attend a fatal RTA every single day, they also do lots of other "good/enjoyable" things. Even the bad things have certain perspectives that you would be trained to see, understand and rationalise.

I've never met you James, but you come across as an intelligent, rational, considerate person, and from this I would hazard a guess you'd make a good copper. The fact that it hurts shows you care .. that is NOT a bad thing IMHO

It is not for me to advise anyone .. but I'll give you this idea .....   take your concerns straight down your local nick, talk to real 24/7 coppers.. the ones who deal with these things as a professional .. ask them how they cope ... I'm sure they will speak honestly and frankly to you once they know why you are asking.

Take care and be strong  :)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 December 2007, 23:28:08 »

Really sorry to hear this :( You're meeting more than your share of the bad drivers on the road at the moment.

But think of it this way... If you can put your skills to use helping people as you have tonight it's a good thing. That young girl will be better off (possibly, alive at all) tonight as a result of your intervention and, if you can consider, as you have, doing so as a career that can only make matters better, surely. Focus on the positive effects of your actions.

A mate of mine joined the Police 15 years or more ago and is now a rapid response driver and firearms officer. He gets the real nasty jobs when corners of this country get turned, temporarily, into a war zone. I know for a fact you could pay him all the money in the world and he wouldn't be doing another job.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Martin_1962

« Reply #4 on: 28 December 2007, 00:12:18 »

You did well - you like helping people.

Sounds like one driver was being a knob, at least the innocent girl wasn't killed, that would make it a lot worse.

I used to think I was a bit fast in a car years ago until I had trouble keeping up with slower cars - because they were taking unacceptable risks.

Crashing hurts and I would recommend everyone finding a course to try on observation

alanfp

• Chelmsford, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 December 2007, 00:36:04 »

You have my sympathies, along with those involved and their families. Even the culprit who caused the accident has a mother who is suffering.

I'm not in a position to advise you whether to go for joining the force (or 'service' ) or not, but it seems as though you may well be a useful asset to them (and, therefore, us!).

I know a few police officers, and what brought home to me the job they do (even sometimes when they're off duty) was the Glasgow airport terrorist attack. I distinctly remember the press report:
"As people were running screaming from the vehicle (you may remember that it was on fire, with explosive canisters in the boot), the two police officers ran towards it".  I think that says a lot.

Alan

Minispud

• Intermediate Member
  • Banbury, Oxfordshire
  • Ride hard with Passion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 December 2007, 00:44:07 »

Hi JamesV6CDX,

I lost a great friend in a car accident about 9yrs ago (His fault) and his borther is a copper with Thames Valley Police, he attended the accident were his brother was killed and he is still in the force. I say if you want to be a copper then go for it, don't let this put you off.
D.A.R.N.A Cycles.   Ride with Passion in your Heart

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28 December 2007, 00:47:31 »

These things never get any easier to deal with, whether its one fatality or several.  Sounds like you have done the instinctive things as and when required to ease the burden of pain etc on others in this incident.  Unfortunately, a byproduct of this is that you then share a portion of the burden you relieved others of.  Bit like the big lad in the Green Mile......

I have lost count (sadly) of the number of fatalities I have attended and/or directly dealt with over the years.  Believe me when I say it does not get any easier when that number gets bigger, you simply have to allocate more dark corners of your mind to deal with them as and when they resurface.  Or the blackest of black humour to compensate, similar to a battle hardened squaddie, discussing the same with others who have experienced the same.

I would suggets contacting the local Trafpol Officer who took your initial statement and see if there is any Victim Support Counselling or similar in your area.  Whilst you were not directly injured in the accident it did, however, have an indirect effect on you and you may need to discuss same with trained folks to resolve.

Yes, Trafpol is fast cars and adrenalin at times but, as you have found, there are dark times too.  Thats what so many folks who think they know what Trafpol (and any other Officers) do day to day - driving the fast cars and eating donuts - and as a result, are all too eager to take a restricted view on their actions and are quick to jump upon perceived shortcomings elsewhere.

Hopefully you will resolve the matter to your satisfaction and that the injured parties heal in time.  
« Last Edit: 28 December 2007, 00:53:58 by hotel21 »

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 28 December 2007, 02:37:39 »

Thanks for the kind words Brucie.

I don't really have an issue to resolve. Everyone did their best to minimise a situation, no more could really have been done.

I may sometimes moan about the Police, but as I have said in other threads, they are only human, and we would be lost without them.

It's just going to have to be a part of a lifelong learning experience

theolodian

• Omega Baron
  • Warwickshire
  • I need a new avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 28 December 2007, 03:43:14 »

Thanks for the kind words Brucie.

I don't really have an issue to resolve. Everyone did their best to minimise a situation, no more could really have been done.

I may sometimes moan about the Police, but as I have said in other threads, they are only human, and we would be lost without them.

It's just going to have to be a part of a lifelong learning experience
James, sounds good but don't be too quick to dismiss how this can affect you.  Time will tell.

I don't moan about the police so much, mainly the lack thereof in the UK.  People may talk about guns in the US reducing crime, but it probably has more to do with police presence and fear of the police.  A dash of police brutality now and then helps keep that last bit from going away completely.  :P  However, police presence in the form of actual people is the real key (and them not having to do 4hrs of paperwork for every time that they intervene in a situation).
Trains may have been invented here, but public transport is a foreign concept!

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 28 December 2007, 04:06:04 »

Hi James,

I personally think you done really well, I’m not sure what I could have done faced in the same situation, I just hope that someone like you is around if ever I become a culprit!

As for joining the Force, let your conscience be your guide, perhaps you have had to witness something that someone who has joined the force (and maybe be trained for this situation) may not have to endeavour for may be months or years after joining?.

To join the force for this type of work takes some guts, to admit after your experience of this incident that its not for you, takes even more guts in my book, but maybe there’s a message some where?, to deal with what you had to do under the circumstances without being trained on a day by day basis tells me that you have natural inhabitation to cope with and maybe further a career of helping other people?

I really hope things get better for you after your experience, and maybe things are more positive towards the future.

Chris.

Paulus

• Wheaton Aston
  • Are you lookin' at me??? Punk???
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 28 December 2007, 12:31:27 »

Well done James. It's lucky for the girl that you were there to help.

You may now call yourself a hero  :y.

It's a shame for everyone involved, but I REEEEEEEEEAAAALY hope that the innocent victims make a full recovery.
Growing old disgracefully...

Missy_MV6

« Reply #12 on: 28 December 2007, 13:29:37 »

I work for N Power and was involved in a RTA 3 years ago.I was totally innocent this guy in a tranny van had never visited my town before and the road was poorly marked.Basically I was coming around a bend and he was coming straight forward but he should have given way and he didn't he was doing about 60mph and I was doing approx 20mph.I managed to turn slightly so avoided a head on crash but it was near enough.I just remember waiting for the impact and the loud bang of metal against metal.I suffered whiplash and the air bag went off resulting in the powder touching my hand a causing quite a large burn :( I was off work for a couple of months and had to have my burn dressed etc.I also had to have physio because of the whiplash.

I no longer enjoy driving and I seem to find danger in any situation on the road now (Much to the annoyance of my hubby).I only drive at work because I have to do and I have not drove down the same road since.

N Power insisited that we had to watch a police video and listen to a talk given by a road traffic cop.Some of the scenes we had to view were very very hard to look at.And most of them were the result of drivers speeding.It just made me more nervous and cautious.But I think it should be shown to all new drivers before they are allowed on our roads it might just make them think a little.

James I think you are a fantastic person to be able to have gone over to the poor innocent victim and offer her support.I do hope she makes a full recovery.
Angie xx

big_bopper

• Worksop
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 28 December 2007, 14:19:14 »

:y you did well, i am a charge nurse (bit like a sister but male) in A&E on nights, this time of year is the worst for accidents and for some reason its usually the younger kids (17 - 21ish) and elderly that are bought in after an accident, the worse part of my job is when the relatives are present and you have to inform them of a fatality.

as for joining the police, you have one life, its yours to live, if you feel its a job that you can do, love, and care about then go for it  :y

Tony
  FOOK A DUCK !!!!
http://www.rebelvanners.co.uk/

Martin_1962

« Reply #14 on: 28 December 2007, 17:07:39 »

:y you did well, i am a charge nurse (bit like a sister but male)

So you are a brother
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 19 queries.