Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 12 volt ignition feed  (Read 1298 times)

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
12 volt ignition feed
« on: 15 April 2008, 22:00:07 »

Where is the best place to pick up a 12 volt ignition feed around the drivers side at front of car for my road angel.
I thought I had found a suitable pickup which turned out to be the ign 12+ for cruise control and now it is doing strange things when I engage cruise.Cant turn cruise off and when it does engage it has a mind of its own,so need to look elsewhere..any pointers as to suitable connection.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
Re: 12 volt ignition feed
« Reply #1 on: 15 April 2008, 22:02:08 »

AFAIK the cigarette lighter sockets are ignition switched... this could be a good source as it should have a reasonable power load ability  :)

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15 April 2008, 22:19:15 »

Thanks Entwood,that was my first thought as well but took easy route and traced the simplest 12volt +inside steering column console which turned out to be feed to cruise control.Will remove that in morning and run cable down behind console and into ciggy lighter.Strange thing is neither of mine work,both have power but will not stay in to allow to heat-up,just pop straight back out,so just aswell I dont smoke.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15 April 2008, 23:56:03 »

.......Strange thing is neither of mine work,both have power but will not stay in to allow to heat-up,just pop straight back out,so just aswell I dont smoke.

Do they work if you hold them in? If so, bend the two bi-metalic clips at the bottom of the socket in a little - use a non conductive lolly stick if the ignition is on or do it when they are dead with the ignition off.
« Last Edit: 15 April 2008, 23:56:18 by Andy_B »

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 April 2008, 08:11:29 »

Will give that a go..if you push them in they just come straight back out..unsure if they heat up if held in as didn,t want to try in case fused circuit.Seems odd both do that but will find a lolly stick and have a go.Thanks

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 April 2008, 09:11:07 »

.....unsure if they heat up if held in as didn,t want to try in case fused circuit. ....

How about trying a phone charger or similar then.

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 16 April 2008, 16:09:15 »

Had issues before when trying a phone charger plug.It kept blowing fuses.Stranger still is if I plug large searchlight torch into either back or front ciggy socket the light works,so have always suspected something is wrong,but as don,t smoke  has never been an issue.Have got seperate  plug feeds for phone/sat nav and rear usage for dvd so suspect odd wiring  

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17 April 2008, 10:14:51 »

It's possible (?) that something is stuck in the bottom of the socket preventing the cigarette lighter bit going fully in and "locking". I had major problems with a rear socket until I found all the little bits some brat had managed to get in there .. including a 5p piece ... which explained the continuous fuse blowing .. GRRRRRR   :)

There have also been threads about the sockets being "reverse" wired and causing phone charger problems ... just a thought ??
« Last Edit: 17 April 2008, 10:15:59 by entwood »

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17 April 2008, 13:22:10 »

Get your point but would be very unlikely to have bits in both back/front ?but suppose anything is possible!I had lots of issues with trying to get wiring pickups from rear ciggy lighter feeds,so is this reverse wiring something VX did,as from memory the brown is - and the black is 12volt+ ignition.So on that basis is the outer part of lighter body - or +  ? any ideas
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 18 queries.