Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: towbar electrics  (Read 2247 times)

sexydaz

towbar electrics
« on: 11 November 2009, 19:03:49 »

hi is it somat ive heard wrong or is there a pre wired plug for the 12n fitted in the loom somewhere,im fitting my towbar soon on a 2.2 estate 2001

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
Re: towbar electrics
« Reply #1 on: 11 November 2009, 19:15:54 »

hi is it somat ive heard wrong or is there a pre wired plug for the 12n fitted in the loom somewhere,im fitting my towbar soon on a 2.2 estate 2001

It's under the black plastic cover at the rear most edge of your boot. Yours will be a round plug. If available andyc at drive in Bury St Edmaunds will be your best bet.  ;)

sexydaz

« Reply #2 on: 11 November 2009, 19:22:42 »

cheers mr b do you mean boot floor or the sides behind light clusters

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 November 2009, 19:30:59 »

cheers mr b do you mean boot floor or the sides behind light clusters

The boot floor, right at the back.

sexydaz

« Reply #4 on: 11 November 2009, 19:38:14 »

thankyou

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 November 2009, 19:43:17 »

thankyou

Be aware though, that if you use this socket, either with an OE plug or not, that the balck/yellow for the brakes won't feed the trailer brake lights without another 'relay'  that lives under/behind your glove box, about £16 when I bought one. (There are numerous threads about this if you look  ;)  ;))

Also, the blue/black for the rear fogs is designed for an 8 pin socket that will switch off the car's fog lights when you plug the 12N plug in, so make sure you get the feed & not the return.  :y  :y

sexydaz

« Reply #6 on: 11 November 2009, 19:54:22 »

so would it be easier to just wire it into lights and ignore this plug or will the old fash way affect the cars display panel

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11 November 2009, 19:59:34 »

so would it be easier to just wire it into lights and ignore this plug or will the old fash way affect the cars display panel

The socket isn't far removed from wiring straight to the lights. The advantage of using the extra brake light check relay is that it extends the brake check of your car to your trailer/caravan. It won't affect the dash where ever you wire it from, but the socket would be neater and easier as all the neccessary wires are all together there.  :y

sexydaz

« Reply #8 on: 11 November 2009, 20:02:43 »

lovely il ave a play at weekend  cheers

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 11 November 2009, 20:03:46 »

lovely il ave a play at weekend  cheers

:y  :y  :y  :y

deltaman

• South Lincolnshire
    • 03 omega CD 2.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 12 November 2009, 12:50:07 »

How about the other socket when you tow a caravan is thier an easy way to wire this up, I have the socket for the lights etc but need to put one on for the fridge and charger.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 12 November 2009, 15:22:37 »

How about the other socket when you tow a caravan is thier an easy way to wire this up, I have the socket for the lights etc but need to put one on for the fridge and charger.

There's no specific wiring for the 12S apart from a dedicated 12v supply that can be found in the same socket as all the 12N wiring. It'll need a fuse putting in in the fuse box under the steering column. You can use a voltage sensitive Smartcom relay clicky which makes wiring easy & simple.
12S wiring diag

sexydaz

« Reply #12 on: 12 November 2009, 16:54:18 »

that said i might do the 12s aswell,the fuse under steering column if im right is a 30 amp is the wire feed to the plug ample as the fridges can pull 8 amps

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 12 November 2009, 17:01:45 »

that said i might do the 12s aswell,the fuse under steering column if im right is a 30 amp is the wire feed to the plug ample as the fridges can pull 8 amps

Can't remember the size of the wire but I would not trust it with 30 amps. It was originally to power the trailer lights through a relay box, IIRC.

I would fit a generously rated wire from the battery with a suitable fuse and charging relay. Firstly, you will know the wire's adequately rated and secondly, you can size it not only to handle the load safely but to provide minimal voltage drop so that batteries in the 'van can be charged if required.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 12 November 2009, 17:02:21 »

It's bigger than the rest!  :-/  :-/ I think it's 2.5mm2 which is what the associated wire in the cable is. It's something I keep meaning to check on my caravan, whether the fridge is actually pulling anything while on the move. It never seems to be that cold when we get to where we're going, despite being cold when we set off.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 21 queries.