Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: OOF Shop no longer available  (Read 11227 times)

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
Re: OOF Shop no longer available
« Reply #15 on: 23 August 2020, 07:34:35 »

I have long been appreciative that Jaime, (and co?) puts considerable effort, and no doubt expense,  to keep OOF running on OUR behalf, and am grateful to all those knowledgeable and helpful members on here. No doubt Jaime will advise if subs will help.

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 23 August 2020, 10:40:30 »

Most ,if not all clubs,have some form of subscription or membership fee.

For the sheer wealth of knowledge given freely by the members of this forum I would willingly have contributed even from day 1,so I agree if Jamie can find a way forward with a membership payment to keep this site running Im more than willing to contribute.

Alnico Blue

• Intermediate Member
  • Costa del 'Saffend
    • 2001 2.6 CDX estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 23 August 2020, 12:58:17 »

Most ,if not all clubs,have some form of subscription or membership fee.

For the sheer wealth of knowledge given freely by the members of this forum I would willingly have contributed even from day 1,so I agree if Jamie can find a way forward with a membership payment to keep this site running Im more than willing to contribute.

x2  :y
British made Celestion Alnico Blue = best sounding guitar speaker ever, sadly now made in China

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 23 August 2020, 19:05:51 »

I had a similar experiance with the ABS club shop a while ago. They kept asking for certain info, we replied, then they asked for the same again and one extra question, we replied. This roundabout went on for three months with them asking the same questions plus one more each time. No explanations as to why they suspended us.Then after posting up the injustices on their public faceache page, twice, they suddenly unfroze it with no explination.

Our Paypal has not been suspended/limited that you sometimes get if its deemed to be a little busy. Sadly in our case, they have simply closed the account, and are not open to the idea of re-enabling it.

We have not been given any opportunity to provide any additional info. It is just out of the blue they simply closed it without giving a reason. They say their decision is final, and they are Judge and Jury.

So we cannot use Paypal, and as they pretty much have a monopoly on that type of payment, thats pretty much the end of it.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 23 August 2020, 19:09:25 »

As to subs, I personally am passionately against them.  I know the Admin Team has changed since day 1, so maybe views are now different, but it was of our founding principles not to have subs.

Plus we have the problem of how are subs paid for, bearing in mind anything automated will require an online payment service, like, errr, Paypal.
Grumpy old man

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 23 August 2020, 19:38:44 »

When you consider what you get for your annual subscription to an owners club-a magazine once a month/two months,possibly discount parts/insurance and maybe an internet forum of sorts.Then consider what you get from OOF,help with not only the Omega but just about any car you can mention plus help/guidance on many other topics-household electrics/appliances/building and who knows what else,then there are the general topics discussed/argued over.Then an annual subscription would I think represent fantastic value.

Plus motor cycle........computer......house.....holiday......sex life. The list is endless. :y

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 23 August 2020, 19:50:57 »

Just set up an ebay listing selling an oof subscription
OOFers can then use buy it now ,sending payment to your personal account
you don't even need to worry about posting anything out
ok there will be a small ebay fee ,probably only pennies  :-\

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 23 August 2020, 20:07:37 »

As to subs, I personally am passionately against them.  I know the Admin Team has changed since day 1, so maybe views are now different, but it was of our founding principles not to have subs.

Plus we have the problem of how are subs paid for, bearing in mind anything automated will require an online payment service, like, errr, Paypal.
This has been gone over a few times, and the same people that are happy to pay are likely as unswayed now as were when it was first mooted ;)

However, the sentiment behind your unswerving view on the subject is very much undertood and appreciated  :y

I suspect the those who can't be bothered to read the rules or guides wouldn't pay any way.

Perhaps as a compromise, one could pay to access the Maintenance Guides section?
Onanists always think outside the box.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 24 August 2020, 07:36:05 »

Could the admins not simply open an OOF bank account to be used for shop payments or even voluntary donation payments, or any other kind of payments ?
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 24 August 2020, 10:14:46 »

Perhaps as a compromise, one could pay to access the Maintenance Guides section?
trouble with that is someone asks a question, the response is "there's a guide - pay £x.xx " or.....
 someone like me ,who hasn't read the guides  :-[ advises how to solve the issue ,revenue lost  :(
 and everyone thinks i'm a dick for giving advice for free  ;D
had the same issues on an E.P.O.S /cash register forum in the past

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 24 August 2020, 10:54:31 »

Something on the profile could demonstrate that a Guide Subscription has been paid for to allow access. Which in turn could make follow up advice more forthcoming  :-\

There's a big difference asking for help to clarify a point in the guides and not bothering to read them.

The guides are an invaluable resource which are likely the most expensive part of the forum to maintain.

Perhaps, to turn it around, paying to access Gen Dis would be an option, although it would mean that anyone could access the guides without contributing anything :-\

Another option could be to ticket the meets, although whether that would cover the costs or not I don't know.
Onanists always think outside the box.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 24 August 2020, 18:31:32 »

As said, its difficult to take automated payments without using Paypal.  If there was a way to do so, the shop would be open, and this thread wouldn't be here.

No idea what the answer is currently.  Probably shake the piggy bank and see how much falls out and see how long that gives OOF. Or get our silent sponsor to cover even more of the costs. Or plan B that has yet to be discovered.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 24 August 2020, 18:36:17 »

Could the admins not simply open an OOF bank account to be used for shop payments or even voluntary donation payments, or any other kind of payments ?
OOF has a bank account, but its not possible to automate payments in that way, unless via Direct Debit schemes, which brings a whole load of additional problems.  Trying to do it manually - tying up payments against orders, and trying to maintain stock levels whilst doing that, is going to become quite unmanageable. It was a possible plan following this, but when I drew out the flow, it was getting messy.
Grumpy old man

addy

• County Durham.  UK
    • 2.6 CD Saloon 2ltr omega
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 24 August 2020, 18:59:07 »

Just wandering if one of the many alternatives to PayPal, are worth looking at?

https://pay.google.com/about/send/

https://www.skrill.com/en/business/

https://www.payoneer.com/solutions/

https://www.investopedia.com/articles/markets/101415/4-best-alternatives-paypal.asp

https://smallbusiness.chron.com/alternatives-paypal-ebay-15780.html

The top 10 competitors in PayPal's competitive set are WePay, 2Checkout, Authorize.Net, Skrill, Intuit, ProPay, Dwolla, Braintree, Stripe and Payoneer. Together they have raised over 4.2B between their estimated 14.8K employees. PayPal has 21,800 employees and is ranked 1st among it's top 10 competitors.

There are probably loads more. Paypal is getting hopeless anyway. Twice today, it has not finished a payment, then put the order back through again, so ended up with 2 of the same thing.

Hope this might help.

Addy
Drives 1995 2.0ltr CD Estate.  2002 2.6 CD saloon

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 24 August 2020, 19:08:04 »

OOF has a bank account, but its not possible to automate payments in that way, unless via Direct Debit schemes, which brings a whole load of additional problems.  Trying to do it manually - tying up payments against orders, and trying to maintain stock levels whilst doing that, is going to become quite unmanageable. It was a possible plan following this, but when I drew out the flow, it was getting messy.

I find this slightly confusing. As long as buyers / donaters have online banking they could simply transfer money from their account to the OOF account ?  :-\
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 21 queries.