Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Railway Mapping & Map Types  (Read 2146 times)

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
Railway Mapping & Map Types
« on: 17 February 2021, 00:18:20 »

Google maps are brilliant for quick 8)ly plotting A to B routes with many options inbetween.

Whilst looking on google I have often seen railway lines dissapear underground like Gringleford to Dore/Totly line.  Tonight I saw some line by the side of the M62 in the Cleckheaton area and wondered what stations they connected to.

Also was looking at a faster method to work out train journeys, google is ok but doesnt allways show faster or shorter routes. :-\

Its only a passing thought but maybe worth a mention as there are possibly some sort of map network out there to make it all easier.
« Last Edit: 17 February 2021, 00:21:53 by Mr Skrunts »
Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
Re: Railway Mapping
« Reply #1 on: 17 February 2021, 00:21:28 »

Talking of maps a while ago I found a side by side map comparison that either side could be changed to historic type maps.

Would also be nice to find one that shows public walk ways across the country side,  Google does show some as dotted lines. :y
Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 February 2021, 01:26:30 »

Talking of maps a while ago I found a side by side map comparison that either side could be changed to historic type maps.

Would also be nice to find one that shows public walk ways across the country side,  Google does show some as dotted lines. :y

Ordinance Survey.  :y
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: Railway Mapping & Map Types
« Reply #3 on: 17 February 2021, 03:49:35 »

Seconded :y

As for trains, Trainline is ok, but remember to play the system. if you know there's a choice of routes, you can plan them as individual sectors to go via a particular place rather than via the default 'Google/Trainline' suggestion. ie by choosing a short local journey for the first leg, you can travel earlier without paying a premium for the whole journey  ;)

This can seem really convoluted, but the railway companies do this deliberately, because it's competition init ::)
Onanists always think outside the box.

GastronomicKleptomaniac

• Omega Baron
  • Teesside (the nice bit)
    • 3.2 plod, 2.6 MV6, etc
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17 February 2021, 08:32:21 »

Would it be this one? https://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/maps/

Word of warning - very knowledgeable bunch but if you don't have a full beard, NHS specs and elbow patchs on your jacket, you'll not fit in... :D (I can say that, I'm a member)
Servicing and repairs done in NE. Special rates for OOFers! PM me.

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17 February 2021, 08:35:30 »

Seconded :y

As for trains, Trainline is ok, but remember to play the system. if you know there's a choice of routes, you can plan them as individual sectors to go via a particular place rather than via the default 'Google/Trainline' suggestion. ie by choosing a short local journey for the first leg, you can travel earlier without paying a premium for the whole journey  ;)

This can seem really convoluted, but the railway companies do this deliberately, because it's competition init ::)

Doesnt it just
Last time I needed Chester to London (via Crewe obvs) was about £300 on one ticket
or bought as individual tickets...
Chester to Crewe - about £15
Crewe to Euston - about £17

Criminal!

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17 February 2021, 12:02:13 »

The side by side maps are on the National Library of Scotland site:

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=5&lat=56.00000&lon=-4.00000&layers=1&right=ESRIWorld

Bing maps support OS view to so you switch between simple, aerial and OS:

www.bing.com/maps

As for train tickets:

https://splitticketing.co.uk/

Gives the options based on multiple tickets to get best price

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17 February 2021, 15:22:52 »

I've just tried the 'split ticketting' website for a work related train journey tomorrow, and the price is coming up as exactly the same price I would pay at the ticket machine on arrival at the train station PLUS they would charge me £1.00 extra for the privilage.... :-\
I have used Trainline before, and unless the train is likely to be full, and the tickets are purchased a good number of days in advance, I haven't found any significant financial gain. And again, there is a booking fee to pay on top.
My experience is that the only real benefit is in 'normal' times, you have a guaranteed seat if there is a remote possibility the train is likely to be fully booked up.
Trainline is just an alternative and easier method of searching for the cheapest fare at the time that suits you - not necessarily any cheaper.
Currently, the trains are not going to be full anyway...
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

redelitev6

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17 February 2021, 15:59:31 »

I've used the 'split ticketing' site a few times and I have saved a fair bit of money with it, my only criticism with it was that some of the timings between trains was really tight , a slight hold up on one had a knock on effect for the rest of the journey .

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 17 February 2021, 16:03:22 »

My wife is an ungrateful cow. Last year she had to go to London to visit an academy somewhere around Wembley. She asked me to book her train tickets, but only gave me 24 hours notice, so I thought it would be expensive. But no, I found her a ticket for around £24, pretty cheap I thought. However, when I told her that I'd booked the ticket, she was not happy. All because it was at 0430, and would get her there in plenty of time for her lunchtime meeting. Ungrateful cow, I had to change it to a more expensive one.
Diesel till I die

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 17 February 2021, 16:04:45 »

Actually, it was probably more like two, or even three, years ago. But one day is pretty much the same as the next to me nowadays.  :(
Diesel till I die

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 17 February 2021, 16:23:53 »

Its not always cheaper to split ticket, but for instance if I want to go to London from Nottingham and I change at Kettering, its a third off. The standard price does not give this cheaper option  :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 17 February 2021, 17:47:26 »

My experience is that the only real benefit is in 'normal' times, you have a guaranteed seat if there is a remote possibility the train is likely to be fully booked up.
Nope.  No matter how far in advance you pay.

Some companies, like Chiltern, dont actually offer seat bookings.  Others like GWR do, but cancel them at the last minute.  And that doesn't make me bitter.

So I just stick to the age old principle of it being quicker, cheaper (down south) and more comfortable to drive.  Trouble is, in "normal" times, my company's tree huggers say we have to use the train, as cars are evil.
Grumpy old man

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 17 February 2021, 22:36:19 »

Buying the ticket the day before is unlikely to yield anything resembling a saving, no different to booking a flight or a hotel.
Onanists always think outside the box.

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 17 February 2021, 23:47:43 »

Nope.  No matter how far in advance you pay.

I disagree.
Before this Covid malarky, I often used Virgin trains (which became Avanti) on the East Coast line from Leeds and on the West Coast line from Preston, and I was always allocated a carriage and seat no. on the ticket. The smaller rail networks such as Cross Country, Northern Rail etc, never allocated seat numbers.  If you were travelling from a 'hub' such as Leeds or Preston rather than smaller stations,  it seems, pre Covid, seats were allocated.
Initially, after the start of Covid, they continued to allocate seats to ensure social distancing, but at the moment, travelling for work on Avanti during lockdown is quiet, it appears they don't currently allocate seating on Standard travel (First Class is probably different with allocated seating, but I havent had that pleasure..)
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 18 queries.