Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Vauxhall Viva returning.  (Read 3275 times)

2boxerdogs

Re: Vauxhall Viva returning.
« Reply #30 on: 08 December 2014, 19:27:38 »

Will have a look at one as soon as it arrives at my local dealership & see how it compares to the VW.

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #31 on: 09 December 2014, 15:17:38 »

Guy down the road from me has a tidy HB Viva sitting on his drive.

Many years ago one of my neighbours ran Viva's for his motoring school cars - clutches never seemed to last long - we used to be able to swap a clutch, on his drive, in around 30 minutes.
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

andrew38

• Farnborough, Hampshire
  • Insignia 2.0Cdti 163
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 09 December 2014, 18:30:47 »

I am a tad lost on why Vauxhall want to sell it all, does not the Corsa fit this market space?

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 09 December 2014, 18:36:23 »

New one is half the price of the old one, then, adjusted for inflation..
£14314.

omega squared

• london area
    • 335i/race car/2 x V6 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 12 December 2014, 10:15:11 »

The name viva is quite good but Viva's were not good at all in fact that name brings back memories of horrible nasty rusty viva's, plastic seats, sloped dash, shinny rimmed/ribbed steering wheels. (my first car was a Magnum, marginally less crap than a viva but significantly worse than most other cars at the time)
nothing tows better than an Omega estate in this price range

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 12 December 2014, 10:48:46 »

I think it was the winter of 1963, One of our rural neighbours got his six month old Viva stuck in a drift. That precipitated us being snowed in for three weeks once snow ploughs couldn't operate.

The Viva when liberated rusted very quickly, might just have been a coincidence.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 12 December 2014, 11:18:16 »

I think people are blurring things a bit, probably me included - if it were a rebuilt 'Eagle E Type' affair, that would be one thing, an actual replica reintroduced - but it's not, it's a piece of made in Korean/wherever plastic near-disposable automobilia, in the mould of Daewoos / small Kias, Daihatsu etc.. . they're trying to capitalise on a gap in Ford's armour, and good on them. But frankly, I'm not so sure that anyone will care either way whether there was or wasn't a Vauxhall 40 years ago with the same name. For those who remember/aware of the car the reaction will be 'Ohh, that's an old Vauxhall name!' (for good for bad, opinions are like genitals, we all have them, but don't like them all  ::) ) but for I'm sure 80% of the buying public won't care. Personally I think they should have capitalised on it, and used the rich heritage of one of Luton's best selling cars ever, same as Fiat 500, Mini etc.. but they've got the copyright on a name, and they're using it.

Plenty of car names people don't realise is an old reused name, I'm just thinking - Lancia Beta, Skoda Octavia, Cavalier Diplomat, even the 'VXR' range is a sublte hark back to the VX 490 and VX1800 / VX2300 ranges of the 60s and 70s. But no play (that I can recall) has been made of the link between the modern and older versions of of them. I wonder now if names like Magnum/Signum, Victor/Vectra, Viva/Vivaro, Cavalier Calibre/Calibra are purely coincidental? The Astra Sport hatch is a conscious Luton decision, as there was a Cavalier and a Magnum Sportshatch in the 70s.

Interestingly, when they launched the Vauxhall Velox in the 50s, they showed publicity shots of the 1920s E-Type 30-98 Vauxhall with 'Velox' bodywork, as it's spiritual ancestor  :y

History lesson over, you can all go back to chucking rubbers at each other while my back is turned.  :y
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 20 queries.