Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: can you use a trickle battery charger through the cigarette lighter on an omega?  (Read 1713 times)

omega squared

• london area
    • 335i/race car/2 x V6 est
    • View Profile

anyone tried this?

with the key out the power socket is not live but would it charge if left with the ignition on?

(bonnet is stuck wont open even with 2 people)

« Last Edit: 09 April 2015, 10:31:56 by omega squared »
nothing tows better than an Omega estate in this price range

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile

No idea on your question - but you're saying tried opening the bonnet with two people - I'm assuming that one of the people is banging on the bonnet, not just fiddling around or actually truing to pull it up, as you pull the lever inside?

Mine's dickey as hell, but a quick slap either directly above the lock, or even from the drivers footwell, with front door open, reaching and smacking it approx half way down the bonnet's length does it fine with me.
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

05omegav6

Push down on the bonnet as the cable is pulled and held, then, still holding the cable lift the bonnet by the front edge... should pop up :y

Then clean, grease and adjust the catches as per the guide :y

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile

The best bet for reviving the battery if you can't open the bonnet is probably to jack the car up and connect a charger between the positive terminal on the starter motor and the engine block.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

omega squared

• london area
    • 335i/race car/2 x V6 est
    • View Profile

The best bet for reviving the battery if you can't open the bonnet is probably to jack the car up and connect a charger between the positive terminal on the starter motor and the engine block.

Good thinking, I try do that makes much more sense with the heavy duty cable to the starter it should take some charge.

thanks for all those suggestions on how to open the bonnet - after 6 years and 4 different Omega's I know how to open sticky bonnets, but this time its different (its properly stuck no amount of pushing lifting banging or jumping up and down in frustration have helped open it!).
nothing tows better than an Omega estate in this price range

Steve B

• Omega Baron
  • Leicestershire
    • '52' MV6 3.2 Saloon
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: 09 April 2015, 15:44:11 by BIGtime »

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile

Good thinking, I try do that makes much more sense with the heavy duty cable to the starter it should take some charge.

thanks for all those suggestions on how to open the bonnet - after 6 years and 4 different Omega's I know how to open sticky bonnets, but this time its different (its properly stuck no amount of pushing lifting banging or jumping up and down in frustration have helped open it!).

That's fine - no idea how experienced you were on them - you may have even owned them for 10 years without encountering the problem. Hope I didn't come across as patronising, though  :)

The climbing underneath option sounds a good un, hope you're sorted soon  :)
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

4x4

Im surprised nobody has this set up on their car,no need to get bonnet open,just connect to plug and another car/battery and instant power,also used to jump start other cars  :y

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile

Im surprised nobody has this set up on their car,no need to get bonnet open,just connect to plug and another car/battery and instant power,also used to jump start other cars  :y

??? ???

05omegav6

??? ???
RAC van stylee :-\

4x4

Whats wrong with having a solution to a common problem then,and not its not just the RAC use them.  ::)

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile

Done that a couple of times (High Current Anderson Connectors) just need to make sure you hide them (normally behind the front spoiler) in a manor that if you end up having a front end smash, you dont end up shorting the leads out.  ;) :y

4x4

Once i get round to fitting my winch i shall be installing the anderson plug kit  :y
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 23 queries.