Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Noisy rattle at 3000RPM  (Read 920 times)

Steve1077

Noisy rattle at 3000RPM
« on: 23 March 2008, 22:38:52 »

My Omega V6 has developed a really nasty rattle at 3000RPM when it’s hot, the engine runs fine but the engine management light comes on if held at 3000RPM, it sounds like its coming from the heads or around the top of the engine, it also sounds like something is running dry, I’ve had a flat spot at 3000RPM for over a year now but now I’m also getting the noise, its giving a cam sensor problem on the ECU but I’ve already changed the sensor so I know that’s ok, I’ve had the car over six years and have never had the cambelt and tensioner changed so I’m wondering could the noise be related to that? As I said it makes no noise when its cold
TIA

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
Re: Noisy rattle at 3000RPM
« Reply #1 on: 23 March 2008, 22:42:07 »

If the cambelt and tensioners are 6 years old then I would get them changed ASAP....

The noise could well be the tensioner starting to break up and, when it does, you will need to rebuild both the heads.  The V6 does not like belt slippage....   :'(

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 March 2008, 22:42:52 »

Kin hell......dont run it and get the cambelt and the like done NOW!

The cam sensor can throw a fault when its working fine but finds the signal to it jumping due to a slack belt.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 March 2008, 22:45:18 »

break me :o

The flat spot is probably as it jumped a tooth. The noise is your final warning (if not already too late) to change the cambelt and tensioners :o
Grumpy old man

Steve1077

« Reply #4 on: 23 March 2008, 22:47:11 »

I will get it looked at very soon, how much does it normally cost for a belt and tensioner to be fitted? Looks like a real pain to do

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23 March 2008, 22:50:51 »

Heres the link to the basic howtoo....

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1156070744

It does need the cam alignment tool but is doable with basic skills and someone peering over your shoulder....

Where are you at?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23 March 2008, 22:54:09 »

I will get it looked at very soon, how much does it normally cost for a belt and tensioner to be fitted? Looks like a real pain to do
DIY ;)

We do a DVD for £3 to show you how :D
Grumpy old man

Steve1077

« Reply #7 on: 23 March 2008, 23:02:56 »

I'm in the Dartford area in Kent, my dad works in a garage and there's a guy there that does work on the side, so I will see if he can do it, I've had the flat spot ever since the water pump broke a few years ago, I'm starting to think something slipped back then, the guy at the time said I was lucky any of the bits didn't get in the timing gear, maybe it did, if the price is too high I will just scrap it and get something smaller, if I can live with a 2ltr that is

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 23 March 2008, 23:13:07 »

I'm in the Dartford area in Kent, my dad works in a garage and there's a guy there that does work on the side, so I will see if he can do it, I've had the flat spot ever since the water pump broke a few years ago, I'm starting to think something slipped back then, the guy at the time said I was lucky any of the bits didn't get in the timing gear, maybe it did, if the price is too high I will just scrap it and get something smaller, if I can live with a 2ltr that is
Whatever the garage says, the V6 cannot be done without the timing/locking kit. Hope that helps :)
Grumpy old man

Steve1077

« Reply #9 on: 23 March 2008, 23:21:31 »

Thanks for all the advice, I will have a good chat with him before saying yes, the car is getting a bit tatty so if it's well over £300 I will look at getting another Omega, thanks again

bigdods

• Intermediate Member
  • Brackley
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 23 March 2008, 23:54:46 »

£300 is about ballpark inc VAT, more if done by vx (but dont let them do it ffs!) .

JasonH

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 24 March 2008, 08:33:20 »

The parts are £70 to £120 alone.

But don't forget a cambelt is a service item and your next car may need a cambelt too.

Steve1077

« Reply #12 on: 29 March 2008, 21:29:40 »

Well I had the belts and tensioner replaced, he said the belt was very loose and a few teeth out on two cams, there was even a part missing on the edge of the belt, it runs a hell of a lot better now and the flat spot at 3000RPM seems to have gone, I guess he did the job ok or it would be running like crap, it even ticks over a lot better now and sound quieter, did it cheap as well, £280 for the cambelt and tensioner, auxiliary belt and an engine oil and filter change, now all I need is a few bits for the body as the doors are getting a bit rusty, once I can find the money ;)

achoo81

• Exmouth Devon
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 29 March 2008, 21:39:40 »

Hi Steve,
As you live where I used to, look on ebay click cars-parts-vauxhall-omega, find a seller on there named las-jacarandas,on the listing there should be a phone number. These people break only omegas so if you want body parts etc try them, they are based near Heathrow airport which really isn't far from you eh!  

Steve1077

« Reply #14 on: 29 March 2008, 21:44:30 »

Well it about an hour or more away so it's not too bad, thanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 22 queries.