Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Smoke on start up?  (Read 631 times)

manny

• bromorough.Wirral.
    • View Profile
Smoke on start up?
« on: 25 September 2008, 22:28:43 »

Own a 2001 mv6 with 46000 on the clock.Well looked after.On start up i get a small amount of smoke out the exhaust and then it clears.Maybe valve stem oil seals?Any idears.
2001 OMEGA MV6

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke on start up?
« Reply #1 on: 25 September 2008, 23:26:14 »

Poor stem seals on the 2.6 have been mentioned before. I think there were issues with them at some point during production. Probably more of an annoyance than anything else.

Might be worth doing a search and see what it drags up.

However, it's always worth checking the basics like ensuring the breathers are clear.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

manny

• bromorough.Wirral.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25 September 2008, 23:29:37 »

Poor stem seals on the 2.6 have been mentioned before. I think there were issues with them at some point during production. Probably more of an annoyance than anything else.

Might be worth doing a search and see what it drags up.

However, it's always worth checking the basics like ensuring the breathers are clear.

Kevin
It only does it on start up when its been sitting all night.When its running its clear.But i will check breathers.
2001 OMEGA MV6

Martin_1962

« Reply #3 on: 26 September 2008, 10:37:23 »

2001 so valve seals :( >:(

kcl

• Omega Knight
  • Finland
    • Volvo V60 D4 -14
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 September 2008, 10:53:33 »

Same here, mostly only annoying and seems to be too much of work to repair...cams off- job and that's not nice. But does anyone know how the repair is done? Which glue to use to fit the new stem seals? Someone has made threads to stems to hold the seals but I assume glue would do.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 September 2008, 16:17:39 »

Not sure if the seals are glued on or not. Normally they just press over the end of the valve guide but I have no experience of this engine.

Replacement will be a fair bit of work. It will require, at the minimum, removal of the cams, followers (clean these while they're off), removal of the collets and valve springs before you can get to the seals. Doing so without the valves dropping into the cylinder will mean attaching an airline to the spark plug hole to pressurise the cylinder and, if doing it with the head in-situ, of course you need to be very careful not to drop small parts such as colletts and a conventional valve spring compressor won't work..

If it were me it'd have to get really bad before I'd go to the trouble.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 September 2008, 16:31:28 »

Not sure if the seals are glued on or not. Normally they just press over the end of the valve guide but I have no experience of this engine.

Replacement will be a fair bit of work. It will require, at the minimum, removal of the cams, followers (clean these while they're off), removal of the collets and valve springs before you can get to the seals. Doing so without the valves dropping into the cylinder will mean attaching an airline to the spark plug hole to pressurise the cylinder and, if doing it with the head in-situ, of course you need to be very careful not to drop small parts such as colletts and a conventional valve spring compressor won't work..

If it were me it'd have to get really bad before I'd go to the trouble.

Kevin

I think given how fiddly it would be to do in situ (as you say drop a collet and it's game over!) I would be inclined to take the heads off if I was going that far.

That way you would be replacing the head gaskets and manifold gaskets - well worth doing if you've stripped that far anyway. You could also lap the valves in, and clean everything up and check for distortion etc.

Seems to be a more thorough way of doing it, for probably very little mroe time...
« Last Edit: 26 September 2008, 16:31:45 by JamesV6CDX »

Martin_1962

« Reply #7 on: 26 September 2008, 16:44:34 »

Exhaust manifold gaskets

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 26 September 2008, 16:54:36 »

Seems to be a more thorough way of doing it, for probably very little mroe time...

Yes, I think you're probably right.

Kevin
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 22 queries.