Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wiper Blades  (Read 1499 times)

Omega3

• Hertfordshire
    • View Profile
Wiper Blades
« on: 24 October 2009, 17:33:55 »

Anybody tried flat wiper blades on their Omega?
Any recommendations?
Previously: Mercedes CLK 320cdi, Insignia SRi, 53 Omega 2.2CD, 02 3.2 elite, 01 Omega 2.2CD, 94 Omega 2.0 Est, Mercedes 300TE, Toyota Supra 3.0, Honda Legend Coupe, Supra 2.8i Mk2, Fiat X1/9, Lancia Trevi

ENFIELD_MV6

• Intermediate Member
  • Enfield
  • previously from leicestershire
    • View Profile
Re: Wiper Blades
« Reply #1 on: 24 October 2009, 17:41:12 »

had them on my trooper and found them pretty good indeed cleared the mud very well, was thinking on getting some for the mig

kingplym

• Intermediate Member
  • camden, hatfield, st.neots
  • sports on, kick down
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 October 2009, 18:35:30 »

what are flat wiper blades and whats the cost? :y
i am willing to trade my electrical labour for parts work etc

holtender

• Intermediate Member
  • Suffolk
    • 2.5 CDX Facelift
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 October 2009, 18:46:10 »

I've had two Omega estates and both times the rear wiper has missed a section of screen at the top of its travel.

Is this normal or do I need a bent wiper blade?
« Last Edit: 24 October 2009, 19:00:20 by holtender »

Agemo

• Omega Knight
  • Cleethorpes
  • Insignia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 October 2009, 18:59:34 »

I bought a cheapo set from ebay, I am really impressed, ignore claims about "Less wind noise" and "Aerodynamic so saves fuel".   They just work well & look good.
« Last Edit: 24 October 2009, 19:00:28 by Agemo »

rangerman

• Manchester
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 October 2009, 19:56:54 »

I saw no difference.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24 October 2009, 20:17:36 »

flat blades are useless on the Omega due to the size and curve of the screen, standard GM way to go  :y

ENFIELD_MV6

• Intermediate Member
  • Enfield
  • previously from leicestershire
    • View Profile

Dodger

• Intermediate Member
  • Here in the sunny south!
  • I taught I saw a puddytat!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 24 October 2009, 20:27:33 »

Have flat blades on both my Omega estate, and daughters Fiat Cinquecento. All brought from Mr Tesco, at £5 each.
Certainly have not had any problems with any of them, though the estate one still does the 'angel wings' (ie, misses just the very top of the rear screen arc, but not much) but then, so do the Bosch, Valeo etc. No issues with front screen, in fact, flatties actually hug the screen better on passenger side outer edge, but that's just my opinion, for what it's worth.
At a fiver each, I don't have any complaints about them, on either car. They do the job they are meant to do, and that's what counts  :)
I always knew I'd inherit an estate, but I never thought this would be it!

Omega3

• Hertfordshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 24 October 2009, 21:32:52 »

flat blades are useless on the Omega due to the size and curve of the screen, standard GM way to go  :y
Which ones have you tried tunnie, and why were they so bad.  :-[ My standard ones judder and are noisy. Just returned from holiday and the flat blades on the hire car were silent and smooth.
Previously: Mercedes CLK 320cdi, Insignia SRi, 53 Omega 2.2CD, 02 3.2 elite, 01 Omega 2.2CD, 94 Omega 2.0 Est, Mercedes 300TE, Toyota Supra 3.0, Honda Legend Coupe, Supra 2.8i Mk2, Fiat X1/9, Lancia Trevi

feeutfo

« Reply #10 on: 24 October 2009, 22:38:44 »

only issue i have with the original blades is the spring pressure points, 6 in all on each blade, as the wipers wear these pressure points scratch or wear the screen unevenly eventually giving 6 wear lines. Its fair comment that you/ we should change them before they get that worn.

However with the flat or aero style blades, it doesnt bother the screen if they are left too long as the pressure is even accross their width due to the design.

They are less suited to the omega screen due to its curved shape, esp rear estate screens. You will notice the modern front screens are considerably flatter, and for that reason i spent a fair bit on Bosch aero twin bades as recomended by a member on here, they work beutifully, and hug the area by the tax disc a fraction better than the originals which still lift in that area,not that matters a jot.

I had valeo before and the bosch are better due to the second blade behind the tip and they seem a little softer rubber making them smoother.

I also noticed that it helps their operation considerably if they do not catch on the spring on the underside of the wiper arm!  :-[  ;D

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 24 October 2009, 22:40:31 »

Which ones have you tried tunnie, and why were they so bad.  :-[ My standard ones judder and are noisy. Just returned from holiday and the flat blades on the hire car were silent and smooth.

Got GM blades on mine, they are only a couple of quid each. They are super silent and clean well.

Change them yearly though!

Omega3

• Hertfordshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 24 October 2009, 22:45:30 »

and for that reason i spent a fair bit on Bosch aero twin bades as recomended by a member on here, they work beutifully, and hug the area by the tax disc a fraction better than the originals which still lift in that area,not that matters a jot.
  :-[  ;D
Thanks for that, I'll give them a go and report :)

feeutfo

« Reply #13 on: 24 October 2009, 22:46:12 »

Got GM blades on mine, they are only a couple of quid each. They are super silent and clean well.

Bob says he has had his bosch aero twins on for 2 years and still going strong.... :P  ;)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 24 October 2009, 22:48:42 »

Bob says he has had his bosch aero twins on for 2 years and still going strong.... :P  ;)

I bet they are 3 times the price  ::)

feeutfo

« Reply #15 on: 24 October 2009, 22:54:28 »

Er...not far off   ::)  no wear lines though    ::)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 24 October 2009, 22:57:28 »

Er...not far off   ::)  no wear lines though    ::)

Got no issues with GM, clear and streak free, no lines. I buy them in bulk for all 3 cars so think i will stick with GM.

Pete Elite

• Omega Knight
  • Uxbridge, Middlesex
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 24 October 2009, 23:15:32 »

I've got a set on mine which have the GM logo on and they certainly do a good job, quiet and efficient, got them when they first came out and paid £22 for them :y.

feeutfo

« Reply #18 on: 24 October 2009, 23:19:21 »

I've got a set on mine which have the GM logo on and they certainly do a good job, quiet and efficient, got them when they first came out and paid £22 for them :y.
I noticed that vx slough have both single and double flat blade in their display fot the newer models, they dont seem to distinguish between the two....?
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 21 queries.