Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Unsure what to do with Omega Elite  (Read 3639 times)

albitz

Re: Unsure what to do with Omega Elite
« Reply #15 on: 21 February 2011, 23:28:36 »

Two sensible choices imo.
1. Get one of the mobile mechanics from OOF to take a look and diagnose the problem.
2. Break it for spares and sell the bits on fleabay, that will bring more dosh in than selling it as a project or similar.

Martin_1962

« Reply #16 on: 21 February 2011, 23:37:36 »

Get an OOF expert - these engines are not that hard to work on.

Julian James

• Birmingham
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 21 February 2011, 23:55:15 »

If you broke it, I'd be interested in Irmscher Body Kit, possibly your cams and in the rare case that you have one, your LSD...

baby2bubble

• Sheffield
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 22 February 2011, 11:40:52 »

Two sensible choices imo.
1. Get one of the mobile mechanics from OOF to take a look and diagnose the problem.

Is there anybody in my area at all?? Im going to get a second opinion having just spoken to him about the car.

Any idea on cost for cams/tappets? Maybe head?

@Julian James - its not the Irmscher I dont think, its something else, Ill take a look when I go round but it was all factory optional extras.

Cheers

SJKOO01

« Reply #19 on: 22 February 2011, 12:02:03 »

Nearest OOF mechanic’s to you would either be:

Elite Pete or bit further down on the map, Darth Loo-knee

If you ‘pm’ them directly to ask if they could possibly take a look at you engine.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 22 February 2011, 12:21:04 »

Can anybody recommend anybody in Sheffield area to have a look at this?

Also, any idea on the value of the car?

I would get someone else who knows what they are doing (i.e. Not the AA) to have a look at it.

It's very rare that a "cam" fails. hydraulic tappets perhaps, but these are straightforward to replace.

.. have they taken the heads off?

If so, to be honest, the most it's likely to need is a pair of good heads from a breaker, a set of gaskets and a few hours to put it back together.

If it has been run without oil pressure it's a different matter.

As said, it needs someone who knows these cars to give it a once-over and see what's what.

Kevin

The heads were taken off by the mechanic (not AA by the way, they only followed him home). The mechanic has been looking after the car for quite a while but says this is a big job. He saw it and tried to find an engine, couldnt find one so remove the head(s) and has a list of parts that are needed. Says most are dealer parts only too.

The strange thing to me was that he diagnosed a new engine before removing the head etc and having a look...could this be done by looking around the engine as is? Found it strange he then came back to look at parts needed.

Obviously the longer it is stood, the more may need replacing so could do with getting it sorted one way or another soon rather than later.

I am concerned as this mechanic has not done the basics before diving in (which hints at a skill or knowledge issue)

For a start, there are no tappets!

If the top end goes noisey its usualy due to an oil pressure issue (hence the questions relating to the oil light), he SHOULD have tested the oil pressure before doing anything.

The question is, what has been done to the car shortly before this occured?. An oil change per chance...the dreaded engine flush?.

As for parts, some we recommend Vx for (cam cover gaskets etc), others pattern items are ok. You cna do a full top end with oil, filter and antifreeze for around 200 quid parts wise.

Julian James

• Birmingham
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 22 February 2011, 12:22:26 »

Thanks.
If it's factory fitted, that's good.  I'm just looking into body kit options at the moment.  I think if it's a factory option when the car was new, then it doesn't count as a "modification" on the insurance.  Otherwise premium might go up with an aftermarket one...
(Although modification from standard spec is a bit of a vague term in my books)

baby2bubble

• Sheffield
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 22 February 2011, 12:47:21 »

I am concerned as this mechanic has not done the basics before diving in (which hints at a skill or knowledge issue)

For a start, there are no tappets!

If the top end goes noisey its usualy due to an oil pressure issue (hence the questions relating to the oil light), he SHOULD have tested the oil pressure before doing anything.

The question is, what has been done to the car shortly before this occured?. An oil change per chance...the dreaded engine flush?.

As for parts, some we recommend Vx for (cam cover gaskets etc), others pattern items are ok. You cna do a full top end with oil, filter and antifreeze for around 200 quid parts wise.

To be fair, the mechanic has always been used and trusted, but unsure on this one. Think more of a 'time' issue and not having any!

No tappets?  :-?

Dont know if I have said but for the record anyway, it is the 3.0L Auto, not that it probably makes much difference.

I have asked again and there were no oil issues before the noise start, or indeed I believe when it started. It had NOT just been serviced and had been used like every other day, drove home that morning and was then off to work that afternoon/evening when it happened. Really was nothing out of the ordinary.

Ill take a look for the parts, Vx as in Vauxhall dealer part?

Thanks.
If it's factory fitted, that's good.  I'm just looking into body kit options at the moment.  I think if it's a factory option when the car was new, then it doesn't count as a "modification" on the insurance.  Otherwise premium might go up with an aftermarket one...
(Although modification from standard spec is a bit of a vague term in my books)

Yeah there seems to be a fine line but all on this car is factory. There have been no 'outside modifications'. I was once asked if my car had any modifications OR optional extras. Can be hard to tell on some cars, now even down to the gearknob can be changed at factory!  ::)

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 22 February 2011, 13:07:24 »

The time issue again highlights a bit of a concern regarding the mechanic.

If, the correct checks are done then time is ALWAYS saved.

I strongly suspect that if he rebuilds the top end it will be no better and hence its a lot of time and money wasted.

Its the basics of engine diagnosis.

The followers (no tappets on this engine), if starved of oil, will get noisey......and many will get noisey. If it was followers at fault, then you woudl expect one to go at a time....not many at once.

Replacing them wont fix it, only curing the oil feed issue will.

Hence the oil pressure check.

The problem you now have is that the engine is stripped down without diagnosis, expenditure is requried to re-build it and yet no 'actual' fault has been found which would give you any confidence that its fixed.

bigtow

• Intermediate Member
  • rochester kent
  • 2001 3.2 MV6 manual was 2.6 auto
    • x type 2,0d estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 22 February 2011, 14:44:20 »

hi just to mix it up a bit my old mv6 done exactly the same thing was fine pulled into petrol station ( for food not fuel ) started her up and she made the most nasty noise from the top end drove car home 5 min away with EML light flashing away . got AA to have a look and the guy said the same thing cam issue . turned out to be timing bet had jumped a tooth due to tensioner coming loose . i personally had a second hand engine fitted . 
2001 MV6 3.2 manual been converted from 2.6 auto

baby2bubble

• Sheffield
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 22 February 2011, 14:56:05 »

hi just to mix it up a bit my old mv6 done exactly the same thing was fine pulled into petrol station ( for food not fuel ) started her up and she made the most nasty noise from the top end drove car home 5 min away with EML light flashing away . got AA to have a look and the guy said the same thing cam issue . turned out to be timing bet had jumped a tooth due to tensioner coming loose . i personally had a second hand engine fitted . 

This could be it but it doesnt make sense why the head has been taken off now and looking for cams etc. If you dont mind me asking, how much did the replacement engine set you back? I know hes had difficulty finding another 3.0l engine but should one come up and him go for this, what cost roughly be looking at?

The problem you now have is that the engine is stripped down without diagnosis, expenditure is requried to re-build it and yet no 'actual' fault has been found which would give you any confidence that its fixed.

Cheers, makes sense everything you put and leaves us in a situation now it seems where either we allow him to do the work (which he will do and do it until its right again) or try to get the owner (father in law) to let the car go as it is one way or another. I was going to ask someone to come and see it but as you point out, whilst in bits, 'proper' checks cannot be carried out on it. Would a visual check with the head off show whether the cams, timing belt or any other issue minus fuel pressure was responsible here?
« Last Edit: 22 February 2011, 14:56:31 by baby2bubble »

Proz

• Omega Baron
  • Largoward , Fife , Scotland
    • Omega-less now :-/
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 22 February 2011, 15:11:18 »

May or may not be of any use to you but there are a few 3.0ltr engines on ebay so they cant be that difficult to source ... just had a quick search in case you do need to replace it  :y
Get yourself Giff Gaff'ed here :-) ...  http://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/proz

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 22 February 2011, 15:14:10 »

Inspection of the cam lobes would prove they are ok (I suspect other than minor pitting they will be).

Inspection of the belt tensioner and idlers would provide information on thier health to.

A general inspection of the engine intrnals with the heads removed would give clues regarding the state of the internals.

So some things could be done.

albitz

« Reply #28 on: 22 February 2011, 15:21:50 »

If the problem arose due to the cambelt jumping  a few teeth or similar, I would think it would be pretty obvious at a glance that there were bent valves. If thats the case, but the piston crowns and bores look ok, then put a wanted Ad for a pair of heads and then have the top end rebuilt. :y

baby2bubble

• Sheffield
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 22 February 2011, 17:10:43 »

Inspection of the cam lobes would prove they are ok (I suspect other than minor pitting they will be).

Inspection of the belt tensioner and idlers would provide information on thier health to.

A general inspection of the engine intrnals with the heads removed would give clues regarding the state of the internals.

So some things could be done.

Ok cheers, Im trying to get someone to come and have a look who is closer (in Sheffield) so will see if they can make it first. Cheers for advice!

May or may not be of any use to you but there are a few 3.0ltr engines on ebay so they cant be that difficult to source ... just had a quick search in case you do need to replace it  :y

Typical! Ive looked when it was first checked and recently there has been nothing on there at all, now theres 3!

One thing though, they look different, well one does, is it manual engine maybe?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VAUXHALL-OMEGA-VECTRA-3-0-V6-X30XE-ENGINE-VECTRA-94-03-/110643211821?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item19c2d96e2d#ht_902wt_754

Ill wait for someone to see it first.
« Last Edit: 22 February 2011, 17:14:26 by baby2bubble »
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 21 queries.