Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Slightly rough idle after cambelt change  (Read 4028 times)

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
Re: Slightly rough idle after cambelt change
« Reply #15 on: 01 February 2016, 09:40:35 »

If you are re-setting the tensioner to the new belt position I'd just like to stress the importance of holding the adjuster nut while you torque the bolt up. Apologies if it's obvious but it's mega important how you do this to avoid anything working loose.  :y

When you adjust the upper offset idler you have to turn the nut anti-clockwise to take up the slack in the belt, and by the sheer nature of this direction it can in turn loosen the bolt. Also, when you torque up the bolt, the clockwise direction can loosen the adjuster so it's critical that you hold the big nut while you torque up the bolt.  :y

Well done for doing it yourself, it's not a bad little job really if you take your time and check, re-check and check again.  :y

Hope you get it sorted.  :y
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 01 February 2016, 11:03:39 »

Uh oh!

Well, glad I checked again as something has happened.

Firstly, I noticed that the tensioner position has moved. It is now lined up with the marker for an old belt. So does that mean it has tightened itself?

Secondly, I have noticed that there is more than one timing mark on cams 1 and 2. There is a mark in the middle of a tooth and therefore quite a long mark, I'll call that mark L. There is also mark which is between a tooth and therefore quite short, I'll call that mark S. So 2 marks on each cam separated by about 6 teeth.

On my car the timing tool shows that S on cam 1 and L on cam 2 is lined up. This must have been the setup before I changed the belt as I can't believe that 1 has jumped about 6 teeth.

Cams 3 and 4 only have 1 timing mark and line up.

So to summarize, I've got timing marks lining up perfectly but I'm not sure now whether they are the right ones lining up. :(

I've just re-read this and think it's best to make sure that we've understood it correctly. I know what you mean by the short and long notch but have concerns over which cam is set to which notch after re-reading your post.  :-\

As James said, can you post up a photo so that we can check at which notch each cam is set to.  :y

As for the tensioner, it moves under load so may not always return to the exact position that it was set to.  :y

berserkerboy

• Intermediate Member
  • Llansadwrn, Carmarthenshire SA19
    • 3.2 V6 Elite 02 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 01 February 2016, 20:52:46 »

Hi YZ250.

Sorry, my description was wrong in that I mistakenly thought the higher cam was number 1. My cams are set up almost identically to those in your pictures, so I'm happy they're correct.

I would post a picture but have never understood how to do so. Do you have to have your own webspace that you link to?

Off now to check my torques and get the car back together.

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 01 February 2016, 21:55:21 »

Hi YZ250.

Sorry, my description was wrong in that I mistakenly thought the higher cam was number 1. My cams are set up almost identically to those in your pictures, so I'm happy they're correct.

I would post a picture but have never understood how to do so. Do you have to have your own webspace that you link to?

Off now to check my torques and get the car back together.

Nice one.  :y

I just use Photobucket for hosting pictures, it's free and relatively easy to use.  :y

berserkerboy

• Intermediate Member
  • Llansadwrn, Carmarthenshire SA19
    • 3.2 V6 Elite 02 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 08 February 2016, 22:10:15 »

Thanks everyone for your input. All back together, correctly torqued and misfire has gone. Now need to sort out my rear rumble noise. Thought it was cheap tyre noise but it's suddenly got much more noticeable.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 19 queries.